Photo

Could this computer handle being a dedicated stream machine?

streaming stream computer capture card obs twitch

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

So I've been streaming/gaming from my single PC for a while and I have it setup perfectly to look nice, and not hurt my gameplay. However, I just realized that I have my wife's PC which is just sitting in the next room.

It occurred to me I might be able to setup it up to use as a stream machine. I could get a capture card, and have it capture and broadcast the footage, while I do all the playing on my gaming machine.

Here are the stats of the computer (2 year old build, barely used)

- AMD Phenemon 2 X6 1090T Processor 3.2ghz
- 8 gigs of ram
- 64-bit Windows 7
- ATI 5850HD Black Edition (I also have a GTX 570 Superclocked laying around I could pop in it)
- 1 TB main HD

Think this computer could handle the encoding/streaming at 720p @ 60fps? Is there anyway I could test it before I invested in a capture card?

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,889 posts

I think it could probably handle it. If not, I don't think the issue is the GPU, but rather the CPU. My two cents....

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

What Ron said. From what I've read, people with dedicated boxes recommend a base model i7 to start. They say with lots of tweaking it can be down with some high end AMD CPU's, but can be a hassle. 

You might not be able to stream as HD as your current setup, but I think it could get the job done. 

edit : forgot to add AMD to this sentence

They say with lots of tweaking it can be down with some high end AMD CPU's, but can be a hassle. 

Omnipotus

Omnipotus
  • Forum Member
  • SweetFX Guru

• 1,688 posts

FourTwoFour

FourTwoFour
  • Forum Member
  • 2,985 posts

The fact that you can stream without a capture card on the same PC without lagging is all you need. Now add this machine + a capture card and you're golden. You will be able to stream perfectly fine with this machine. Hell, you wouldn't notice a single FPS drop by using a capture card on the same machine you're playing on, let alone on a separate machine with a quad core + capture card. Yes, it's more than enough combined with a capture card. i7 with HT is of course always welcome, but this is plenty.

Edit: Pff... just noticed that it's the 6 core. You're more than golden. Also, GPU does not make any difference. Just plug in the capture card (Avermedia HD Live Gamer, it's good) slap that turbo on the processor for 3.6ghz and you're good to go.

Trust me, don't have to test it. It will work.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

What Ron said. From what I've read, people with dedicated boxes recommend a base model i7 to start. They say with lots of tweaking it can be down with some high end AMD CPU's, but can be a hassle. 

You might not be able to stream as HD as your current setup, but I think it could get the job done. 

edit : forgot to add AMD to this sentence

Well, the capture card would only be pulling 1280x720P @ 60FPS for the stream pc to encode. So it's not super HD so thats why I think it's possible.

The fact that you can stream without a capture card on the same PC without lagging is all you need. Now add this machine + a capture card and you're golden. You will be able to stream perfectly fine with this machine. Hell, you wouldn't notice a single FPS drop by using a capture card on the same machine you're playing on, let alone on a separate machine with a quad core + capture card. Yes, it's more than enough combined with a capture card. i7 with HT is of course always welcome, but this is plenty.

Edit: Pff... just noticed that it's the 6 core. You're more than golden. Also, GPU does not make any difference. Just plug in the capture card (Avermedia HD Live Gamer, it's good) slap that turbo on the processor for 3.6ghz and you're good to go.

Trust me, don't have to test it. It will work.

So you think it's reasonable to get the live gamer HD version even tho I won't be using it's on-board encoding? Is there another cap card I can get thats the same, just with no encoding built in?

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

Capture card ordered: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815100100

FourTwoFour

FourTwoFour
  • Forum Member
  • 2,985 posts

Nice one. And this works for single PC + stream system. Everyone is using it :) Enjoy!

paladinZero

paladinZero

• Retired
  • Mad Cause Bad

• 1,178 posts

Just as long as we still have a sexy webcam of you...

Stevo

Stevo
  • Banned
  • Banned

• 376 posts

I think it should be fine at 720p with the processor for now. But an i7 base is recommended. I am not that familiar with amd cards too much but i have used a few of their processors in other machines I have bought. I stream on my current rig which has a gtx560 and an i5 at 4.3ghz. and that was while playing on high and streaming at 720p on bf3 with a 50fps steady. so if anything pop that gtx card in there and buy yourself an i5 and oc it and you should be good to go from there for a little bit. I have been thinkin about making a stream rig myself using a micro atx case and have it just sit out of the way. You can easily get away with a stock heatsink for just streaming and recording. 

03Termi

03Termi

• Retired
  • 1,200 posts
So your going to run a single pc now? I'm considering building a new top end rig and using my old one to stream, or just saving a little $ by upgrading mobo/processor/video cards. Just don't know if it would be that much of an improvment to stream high quality

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

So your going to run a single pc now? I'm considering building a new top end rig and using my old one to stream, or just saving a little $ by upgrading mobo/processor/video cards. Just don't know if it would be that much of an improvment to stream high quality

I run a single pc streaming setup now, but what I want to do now is have my gaming computer that just plays the games, and my second computer (my wifes computer listed above) to capture my gameplay (using a capture card), encode it and stream it to twitch so it takes that CPU load off my gaming machine.

If for some reason my wife's CPU isn't badass enough to handle it, I'm going to sell it, and then use the money to build a stream pc JUST LIKE THIS.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

Scratch that. Returning the capture card and going back to single PC setup. I have two overall issues that made it too much of a headache.

1. Screen tearing. Because I use a 120hz monitor, it broadcast that to the CC that could only handle 60hz and it caused horizontal tearing during fast movements. I'm not going back to 60hz. :P

2. Audio: Not using the cards built in encoding capabilities made getting audio from one pc to the other, really complicated. Especially if you want to record ts audio as well. It would of required 2 microphones.

Back to the ol' single pc setup!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Scratch that. Returning the capture card and going back to single PC setup. I have two overall issues that made it too much of a headache.

1. Screen tearing. Because I use a 120hz monitor, it broadcast that to the CC that could only handle 60hz and it caused horizontal tearing during fast movements. I'm not going back to 60hz. :P

2. Audio: Not using the cards built in encoding capabilities made getting audio from one pc to the other, really complicated. Especially if you want to record ts audio as well. It would of required 2 microphones.

Back to the ol' single pc setup!

Is there anything you can do to your current setup that would improve your stream quality? Or is there a workaround for the 2 problems your having?

03Termi

03Termi

• Retired
  • 1,200 posts
Looks like I'm going to build a super beast machine LOL

Nimbus

Nimbus
  • Staff
  • ITS YA BOI

• 2,709 posts

My brain exploded reading all of this 

Stream on robot!