Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Moving individual games to SSD

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

LightEightSix

LightEightSix
  • Staff
  • YOU GOTTA ELEVATE SON!!!

• 450 posts

So you've got your fancy new SSD and your machine boots in 2 seconds, but what about your games?!

This is a tutorial for moving individual games to your SSD (or any other harddrive) without moving your entire Steam/Origin install.

The magic behind moving a specific game directory to a different drive in Windows is the MKLINK JUNCTION command.

Step 1:

Create a folder named "Games" on your SSD. Putting the folder in the root of the drive will make it easier to run the commands later.  Example:  "D:\Games"

Step 2:

Locate your Steam install folder.

Examples:
Windows 7 64-bit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

Step 3:

Next, locate \steamapps\common\ in your Steam install folder.  This is where 3rd party game installs are kept in their own folders.

Step 4:

Select the game folders you wish to move and then select CUT.

Step 5:

Go to the "Games" folder created in step 1 and click PASTE.  This will move the folders and files for each game over to your SSD and remove them from the original drive.  The next step will link these moved folders back to their old locations so that Steam can find and use them.

Step 6:

Open a command prompt.

With the prompt open, use the mklink /J command for each game that you moved.  The mklink command creates a link to the moved folder.  The syntax is as follows:

mklink /J "link" "target"

mklink = the 'make link' command
/J = the junction prefix, which creates the link between folders
link =  the file path to the folder that needs to be linked to
target = the file path to the folder that has the data in it

Example using Skyrim on Windows 7 64-bit:

mklink /J "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim" "D:\Games\skyrim"

*It is important to note the quotations used around the file paths, as the command line does not like spaces or special characters

When this completes correctly, you should see:

Junction created for C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim <<===>> D:\Games\skyrim

EpiC

EpiC
  • Inactive
  • 90 posts

Is there a way to remove a junction? I accidentally forgot the : after the F on my drive in the command, so when I tried to do it again, it said "Cannot do this as the file already exists" or something like that.

JackDee

JackDee
  • Forum Member
  • 1,039 posts

or just buy another ssd for your games and install them on that.

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

if you have the time and patience you can also uninstall the game, then reinstall a specify the path through steam.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Is there a way to remove a junction? I accidentally forgot the : after the F on my drive in the command, so when I tried to do it again, it said "Cannot do this as the file already exists" or something like that.

Do not just delete the junction or it will remove the data from the remote location. Run "rmdir <junction name>"

or just buy another ssd for your games and install them on that.

Definitely not a viable option. Remote location folder for my games: 

1_23_2013_7_44%20PM.jpg

That is one expensive SSD setup. 

if you have the time and patience you can also uninstall the game, then reinstall a specify the path through steam.

There are some (quite a few actually), that for whatever reason will not allow you to choose a location other than default. Of all the games that I have, there are 10 that would not let me select an alternate location, in addition to valve games not being changeable as well. 

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts

Thanks for the tutorial! Once I get my SSD I will have a lot of use for this xD

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • 1,014 posts

There is a program called Steam Mover that automates this process, as well. 

http://www.traynier....ware/steammover

JackDee

JackDee
  • Forum Member
  • 1,039 posts

Or you could look at the new seagate momentus drives.  http://www.ebuyer.co...-ssd-st750lx003

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Awesome write up, but like gurth said below, what's the big difference between this and 

There is a program called Steam Mover that automates this process, as well. 

http://www.traynier....ware/steammover

Headword

Headword
  • Forum Member
  • 1,144 posts

Or you could look at the new seagate momentus drives.  http://www.ebuyer.co...-ssd-st750lx003

Other than booting windows fast those drives are an interesting idea but not good for gaming. This seriously is the best way to store all of your games on a LARGE hard drive and then only move / link the few games you want running fast where you can move them to a SSD.

LightEightSix

LightEightSix
  • Staff
  • YOU GOTTA ELEVATE SON!!!

• 450 posts

Awesome write up, but like gurth said below, what's the big difference between this and 

Looks like it is essentially doing the same thing. However, since creating junction links in command prompt is so easy that program would be just wasted space. Also, knowing how to run the actual commands allows you to use that knowledge when you want to make junctions for other files as well.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

I'm with Light. This is something that I use a good bit since they added to Windows (about damn time). Using that tool is completely unnecessary and just adds something else to the picture that can go wrong. 

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Fair enough. 

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member

• 3,416 posts

So I was trying to pull my ARMA 3 from my HDD and move it to my SSD and when I was trying to create the junction it gave me an error saying "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

Top Right: SSD Location where I want ARMA to be moved to.

Bottom Right: HDD Location where ARMA is being moved from.

fd63fb9679f23efb21c03b92f5d8d179.png

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

So I was trying to pull my ARMA 3 from my HDD and move it to my SSD and when I was trying to create the junction it gave me an error saying "Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

Top Right: SSD Location where I want ARMA to be moved to.

Bottom Right: HDD Location where ARMA is being moved from.

fd63fb9679f23efb21c03b92f5d8d179.png

The first parameter needs a folder name. With that syntax, you are trying to junction the entire steam folder. Add arma 3 to that path. 

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member

• 3,416 posts

The first parameter needs a folder name. With that syntax, you are trying to junction the entire steam folder. Add arma 3 to that path. 

Derp. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users