Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Name Origination

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts
So, since Nimbus did the Avatar thing to say where your Avatar is from, (http://gsngaming.com...is-your-avatar/) I figured it might be interesting to see where everyone's name came from. Some are obvious, but others are not.

I'll start. Mine originated absolutely nowhere. When I started getting big into PC gaming I wanted to come up with a handle that was unique and would not be anywhere else. I just started typing 5 to 9 letter combinations in a notepad until I found something that could be a word (there were several before I found one that I liked). I then google'd the word to see if it existed anywhere at all. Then I used http://namechk.com/ to make sure it was available on the networks that I wanted it on, and viola. Paronity was born.

11b30

11b30

• Retired
  • Fuck ISIS

• 1,470 posts
My name is short for my military MOS: 11B is an Infantryman and 30 is a Staff Sgt. Thus 11B30.

PiGBeniS

PiGBeniS
  • Forum Member
  • Little Slatka

• 1,271 posts
mine is a little obvious. i'm asian. (i do break stereotypes so piss off) so naturally robot, paladin and a few others back when we had our mini lan days always jabbed at me saying i have a small penis. so i made my name BIG PENIS. well i thought it was stupid and changed it Pig Benis, so big. that stuck for awhile.

when our clan started i realized "pig benis, so big" was too long for black ops so i shortened it to [GSN] PiG BeniS.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts
Before this forum I was an addicted regular at a discussion board for the band Coheed and Cambria, www.cobaltandcalcium.com. I met up with people from this forum on 20 different trips/vacations/concerts/ etc all over the country over the span of 6 years. (Had about 19k posts on this site.) On our very first camping trip, the admin of the website who was my best friend at the time always called me Nackers. It caught on, but they always put the emphasis on the beginning. It was always Naaaaaaaaaaaaaackers! Lightscribe likes to jump in my TS channel and scream my name...

Here is a message from the admin from 3 years ago.

And yes, he's gay.

Monsterly

Monsterly
  • No Problem.

• 601 posts
When I was a little kid I used to think Monster energy drinks were the coolest stuff in the world, so I named myself that.

Then I realized they taste like shit, but I like my name so I kept it.

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts
i bet everyone's waiting to hear my story

Thunder

Thunder
  • Staff
  • still watching you ...

• 7,662 posts

Die hard KISS fanatic since 1981, when I was eleven . God Of Thunder was, is and will always be my absolute fav of KISS.
The original user name was GodOfThunder70 (1970 is my year of birth), shortened the name to Thunder because of teamspeak and is was too long in BlOps!

Using that name almost everywhere ...

LexDivinia

LexDivinia
  • Inactive
  • 829 posts
I used to be 'freak0ne' before I got into MMO/RPGs and such....

Lex = I was living on Lex Drive in Charlotte, NC
Divinia = a derivation of divine

It was about 6 months later a guy remarked how cool my names was and I was like, uh yeah, okay, thanks bye.
Turns out he was a Latin geek and pointed out that the name breaks down into "Divine Law".... works for me!

Then it became my offline nickname as well. About the only people who still call me by my given name are relatives and college associates.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,769 posts

i bet everyone's waiting to hear my story

Posted Image

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts
it started out when i was playing counter-strike 1.5. i was a badaaaaaasss and my 2 favorite guns, aside from being an awp whore, were the m249 saw and the m4a1 carbine. the shit id do with those guns were unbelieveable at the time (shooting through walls because you can hear enemy footsteps). my former buddies would be like "fuckin m249 fag" or "bs how are u that good with an m4" (its easy really actually). so as a gag i changed my name to M249-M4A1 to pul their strings since i owned the hell outta them with those. and to this day, that name stuck!

dont be alarmed if my name suddenly changes to G36C-SMAW

JackDee

JackDee
  • Forum Member
  • 1,043 posts
Guess lol

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,769 posts
Back in the LAN days with PigBenis, Stormborn and PaladinZero, I used to go by "I <3 Bush" or something to that extent. I always seemed to get kicked for that name in public servers so I changed it to BadRobot. I'm not sure why I picked it (I didn't watch LOST lol), but when ever I killed someone in game, they would see my name and be like "your a bad bad robot" in textchat or voice chat, like they were scolding their dog. So after the 1000th time, I decided to add another "bad" to my name. As far as I know, no one else goes by this name.

Most people think of this guy when they hear my name:

Posted Image

Chancey_19

Chancey_19

• Useful idiot

• 583 posts
My handle for every other game except CS:S was Yoda growing up. Then after being confronted by many, a famous "y0da" was known for hacking in Cod1 so I changed it to Chancey (Yes with a picture of the huge pink Pokemon...HAHA) since then I kept Chancey and am trying to spread my name in every game, being the one and only Chancey.

Omnipotus

Omnipotus
  • Forum Member
  • SweetFX Guru

• 1,688 posts
First off, Robot, yes... BAD BAD ROBOT that ends alot of great shows I watch always has me thinking of you... Rorschachs even starting to say it since the mrs. never misses the chance to yell "BAD BAD WOOOOBOT" whenever it pops on.. haha

anywho.. mines kinda pathetic but whatever.. mine is a play on words... omnipotent = godlike while I'm furthest from godlike, infact i'm just a regular piece of shit person like the rest of the human race sooo I came up with Omnipotus..meaning... un-godlike... later down the road I found out their is a comic book character (The Tick) named Nigh-Omnipotus which sorta means the same thing, he was a giant god like being but was utterly pathetic and powerless haha... much like me....so ya.. I think quite highly of myself.. yep ... :D

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

First off, Robot, yes... BAD BAD ROBOT that ends alot of great shows I watch always has me thinking of you... Rorschachs even starting to say it since the mrs. never misses the chance to yell "BAD BAD WOOOOBOT" whenever it pops on.. haha

anywho.. mines kinda pathetic but whatever.. mine is a play on words... omnipotent = godlike while I'm furthest from godlike, infact i'm just a regular piece of shit person like the rest of the human race sooo I came up with Omnipotus..meaning... un-godlike... later down the road I found out their is a comic book character (The Tick) named Nigh-Omnipotus which sorta means the same thing, he was a giant god like being but was utterly pathetic and powerless haha... much like me....so ya.. I think quite highly of myself.. yep ... :D

you are an oxy moron

PiGBeniS

PiGBeniS
  • Forum Member
  • Little Slatka

• 1,271 posts
@chancey

Wow i had the name y0da or y0d4 for a long time back when i played dod1.3 and that Was only because i would do a dead on impression through all chat in our server and veryone called me yoda

Cullen

Cullen
  • Retired
  • 821 posts
Well sadly Cullen is my middle name. I have been using it since I started gaming

LexDivinia

LexDivinia
  • Inactive
  • 829 posts

Well sadly Cullen is my middle name. I have been using it since I started gaming

You mean it's NOT in honor of Twilight?!?!?!

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts
Mine is easy....Name:Randy, friends would change that to Rando. Done.

My first real "game name" is still my steam name. I started playing CSS when a buddy of mine introduced it to me. CSS was my first Computer gaming experience. I stayed up till 4AM the first time I played. I then had to build a comp so I would have my own machine to play on and have been hooked on comp games ever since.
Since I sucked when I started I would just run in, spot and shoot who I could.

Thus the name myteamsmeatsheild

Cullen

Cullen
  • Retired
  • 821 posts

You mean it's NOT in honor of Twilight?!?!?!

I want to dislike this post

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users