Photo

AppleTV or Roku box

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

HacksawJack

HacksawJack
  • Advanced Member
  • 856 posts
Picking a streaming media device for my home theater. Between AppleTV or Roku box. Your guys thoughts?

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

Administrator

• Founding Member
  • 7,994 posts
What do you need It to do/stream? Do you have other apple devices?

LexDivinia

LexDivinia
  • Advanced Member
  • 810 posts
I have a Sony Media Streamer and it's cool. But if I could, I would probably go with a Roku at this point. A few more options available I believe.
I don't know much about Apple TV...

CNET Review: Apple TV vs. Roku: Which streaming box should you buy?
Might be useful?

Edited by LexDivinia, November 15, 2012.

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,379 posts
If all your media is in formats that match the Apple TV's requirements, go with that. But if you have all sorts of different formats for torrents and stuff, i would say Boxee Box or Roku for sure. Apple TV is cool but can be work if you aren't 'apple ready'.

And remember for Roku, you have to buy the $80 model to play 1080p, and only the $100 model has a ethernet and USB port.

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,379 posts

What do you need It to do/stream? Do you have other apple devices?

I just got him to buy a Airport Extreme :)

ALSO

You can jailbreak apple TV's and install things like XMBC (xbox media center) which are compatible with more things. HOWEVER, if it were me, I'd just build myself a HTPC, because I love them.

HacksawJack

HacksawJack
  • Advanced Member
  • 856 posts
Not streaming torrents, just something that my Wife can use, all her shit is Apple. I do like the fact Apple TV can wirelessly mirror the MAC book pro display. I am afraid of lack of supported Apple apps

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,379 posts

Not streaming torrents, just something that my Wife can use, all her shit is Apple. I do like the fact Apple TV can wirelessly mirror the MAC book pro display. I am afraid of lack of supported Apple apps

Also, check this.

http://www.idownload...-xbmc-apple-tv/

And yeah you can stream from any apple computer or phone, and use your iphone as a remote for the apple tv as well.

Stormborn

Stormborn
  • Founding Member
  • 345 posts
Between handbrake and anydvd, you am also convert all your movies into mp4 and stream them from any computer with iTunes open to your Apple TV. It's freaking awesome and seamless. No lag at all over wifi, even with HD movies