Photo

Nerd World Problems, Destroying My Eyes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts
So since taking a deskjob, lots of things have changed. Since waking up at 5:10 is the norm, making it past midnight is damn near impossible without multiple cups of coffee. My health has seriously decreases and I've lost lots of muscle because I'm no longer running around on my feet for 12 hours a day. And finally, my eyes. I look at a computer screen for about 8 hours a day. That's a minimum just for work. That doesn't include working/gaming at home. And now that I've started school back up, and now that all assignments and labs are on the computer, it's now anywhere from 12-16 hours a day.

In the past year and a half, i have obliterated my eyes. I used to have the best far sighted eyes in the family, and still had good near sight. But that has changed. If I am more than 5 feet away from a monitor, can't read shit. When I use the HTPC at my GF's house, I have to use the Magnifier tool in Win7 to see folders and files through explorer.

Well as of last week, my eyes have been horrible. Just looking at a computer screen for more than 10 minutes makes me eyes sore. It's almost tunnel vision where I don't have any peripherals. I'm i'm looking at a thumbnail in a folder of pics, all the other pics become fuzzy, and when I move from thumbnail to thumbnail, my eyes gets realllllyyy sore. And if I'm not squinting or holding my head in a certain way, they ache. They are aching really bad just writing this. I noticed it the worst watching walking dead with all the lights off. It was REALLY hard to pay attention with my eyes so messed up.

So, I've looked online a bit and there are certain glasses that you can buy for the computer. They have this weird yellow tint, and I'd rather not wear them if I had to.

http://www.amazon.co...omputer glasses

I see a lot of people who game wear these, but I don't know if they apply to the office world.

Then i saw these, which got great reviews, but I'm not sure.

http://www.amazon.co...omputer glasses

Anyone have any ideas/hints? Anyone going/gone through this? Any help is appreciated.

Walking away from the monitor and taking a break for now.

Lynx

Lynx
  • Community Member
  • 472 posts
all you need to remember is moderation ...
take regular breaks, and try to keep the room you're in well lit, and keep the brightness on the display as low as possible.

in a bright room, you will need a slightly brighter display. in a darker or poorly lit room, dim the display so it doesn't strain the eyes.

Paronity

Paronity

public Paronity = new Guru();

• Head Admin
  • 7,898 posts
I could quote everything in the first paragraph and make a new post with the same thing. :D

As far as the glasses go, I guarantee you will get mixed review but I love them. My eyes feel less worked out when I used them and they make the games/screens look absolutely amazing. GUNNAR makes some amazing products and they are totally worth the cost.

They have two lines that you can choose from and some of them are made to look a little more professional so being at work with them is less ridiculous. I don't really care what people think though if they help, which they do.

Chancey_19

Chancey_19
  • Advanced Member
  • 434 posts
Make you sure you concentrate on other things when you're on a break. Even when you're working, stop and look at something else in your room, let your eyes adjust, then come back.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

Administrator

• Founding Member
  • 6,885 posts
Go to the freaking eye doctor first.

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

all you need to remember is moderation ...
take regular breaks, and try to keep the room you're in well lit, and keep the brightness on the display as low as possible.

in a bright room, you will need a slightly brighter display. in a darker or poorly lit room, dim the display so it doesn't strain the eyes.

The thing is though, with how much stuff that needs to get done, I don't have time to take regular breaks. Something needs to be done all the time. Wish it was that simple.

I could quote everything in the first paragraph and make a new post with the same thing. http://gsngaming.com/public/style_emotic...

As far as the glasses go, I guarantee you will get mixed review but I love them. My eyes feel less worked out when I used them and they make the games/screens look absolutely amazing. GUNNAR makes some amazing products and they are totally worth the cost.

They have two lines that you can choose from and some of them are made to look a little more professional so being at work with them is less ridiculous. I don't really care what people think though if they help, which they do.

Alright well I'm going to take a look into these. I guess what I'll start off with is going and getting an eye exam. See if i can get away with just computer glasses or if i need prescription.

Make you sure you concentrate on other things when you're on a break. Even when you're working, stop and look at something else in your room, let your eyes adjust, then come back.

Do this often, doesn't help :/

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

This is the obvious answer, but no insurance and money is tight. As always. I'll try and go next week.

That's what she said.

Lynx

Lynx
  • Community Member
  • 472 posts

that too

Paronity

Paronity

• Head Admin
  • 7,898 posts
GUNNAR will make prescription glasses for you if you need a prescription: http://www.gunnars.com/rx/

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts
How are those glasses for long range? Like watching TV?

Paronity

Paronity

• Head Admin
  • 7,898 posts
Never really tried that. I keep them by the computer as that is the biggest reason I need them. I don't watch a lot of TV and when I do, it's on my computer....

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

Never really tried that. I keep them by the computer as that is the biggest reason I need them. I don't watch a lot of TV and when I do, it's on my computer....

Hhhmmm. Alright well I'll hit the eye doctor first I guess. We watch all my downloaded tv shows/movies on my girlfriends tv at her house which is a 50 some inch plasma...and I've never had an issue till yesterday.

We'll see.

Omnipotus

Omnipotus

SweetFX Guru

• Community Member
  • 1,688 posts
I've been near blind since I was 11, 4/20 vision (yea I know, funny eh) my main screens are 32" and 24" and I sit around 1' 1/2 to 2' away from them, both brightness maxed and I'm typically in perpetual darkness cause I have light sensitive eyes (sun light, sun kills me.... indoor lighting is fine) and well. I sit around a comp screen most of the day due to my health issues, before that when I was working I still spent a lot of time behind a computer, twice as much now, also rocking 4 years old glasses, really need a new pair soon cause my current ones are held together with super glue.

I have no eye pain or bluriness or tunnel vision, if anything, my eyes only work good when I'm staring at pixels, when I lay down on the couch which is about 4 feet from the computer screen.. that's when I get pain, blurriness, have to squint and then we I come back to the computer, EVERYTHING IS BLURRY for about 40 min... like my eyes can't focus anymore if I change positions, like my eyes prefer to be up close and personal.... and if I do anything that requires my eyes to look past/focus on anything more then 2 feet away, they refuse to work.

I'm extremely near sighted, glasses off, anything 10" from my face I can see with insane detail and clarity, 11" + ... couldn't tell what or who I'm looking at.. sigh... anyway, first chance you get, see an eye doctor, could be something easily treated or fixed before something permanent happens, every 10 min, look at something else for a min or 2, focus out the window, or look at your phone or touch your penis, just get your eyes off the screen for a min or two here and there :D

My eyes are completely opposite of yours, what hurts yours heals mine and vice versa :S

Paronity

Paronity

• Head Admin
  • 7,898 posts

touch your penis

Nah - you should avoid looking at things where you need to focus to see it....

Omnipotus

Omnipotus

SweetFX Guru

• Community Member
  • 1,688 posts

Nah, Nackers got a big ol' hunk of sausage dangling down there, good ol Skype :P

*see you next week Nackers, smootch, wink, purrr, meoww :D

LexDivinia

LexDivinia
  • Advanced Member
  • 789 posts
My first job working full time with a computer was at Allstate and I was staring at the screen 8+ hours for work in addition to college computer work and World of Warcraft. Oh, and reading tons of textbooks. Anthropology requires a LOT of reading.

Anyway, as the only person in my family not wearing glasses, I was surprised when I had to go to the eye doctor due to all the pain within 4 months of starting my job.

I now have a pair of glasses I use only at the computer, and sometimes for reading. They are clear lenses, with a slight magnification.

I love them.

Now here's the thing. Back in 2005, the doc called it CVS. Computer Vision Syndrome. (There is a syndrome for everything these days right?)
It has something to do with the distance of a monitor being at a range that is unusual and difficult for the human eye to focus on. We read books closer to out eyes than our monitors are and everything else happens further away, thus putting monitors in that odd zone.

Anyway, the TL,DR version:
Go to the doctor.

:)

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

lololololol

Nah, Nackers got a big ol' hunk of sausage dangling down there, good ol Skype http://gsngaming.com/public/style_emotic...

*see you next week Nackers, smootch, wink, purrr, meoww http://gsngaming.com/public/style_emotic...

GOOD LORD.

Well they sell these at best buy. I might go pick up a pair at lunch and see if it helps at all. If it doesn't, off to the eye doctor I go.

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

My first job working full time with a computer was at Allstate and I was staring at the screen 8+ hours for work in addition to college computer work and World of Warcraft. Oh, and reading tons of textbooks. Anthropology requires a LOT of reading.

Anyway, as the only person in my family not wearing glasses, I was surprised when I had to go to the eye doctor due to all the pain within 4 months of starting my job.

I now have a pair of glasses I use only at the computer, and sometimes for reading. They are clear lenses, with a slight magnification.

I love them.

Now here's the thing. Back in 2005, the doc called it CVS. Computer Vision Syndrome. (There is a syndrome for everything these days right?)
It has something to do with the distance of a monitor being at a range that is unusual and difficult for the human eye to focus on. We read books closer to out eyes than our monitors are and everything else happens further away, thus putting monitors in that odd zone.

Anyway, the TL,DR version:
Go to the doctor.

http://gsngaming.com/public/style_emotic...

Thanks for the reply Lex, I'm afraid after these test pairs it's going to be my only option.

Paronity

Paronity

• Head Admin
  • 7,898 posts

Well they sell these at best buy. I might go pick up a pair at lunch and see if it helps at all. If it doesn't, off to the eye doctor I go.

Even if they do help, I would recommend going to the Dr at your earliest convenience. I'm willing to bet they do help and make it feel better, but that doesn't mean there is a more severe problem that you would just be masking.

Nackers

Nackers

Candy Magician

• Advanced Member
  • 2,018 posts

Even if they do help, I would recommend going to the Dr at your earliest convenience. I'm willing to bet they do help and make it feel better, but that doesn't mean there is a more severe problem that you would just be masking.

Word. Thanks.