diy doityourself

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Chief Executive Salt Bringer

• 2,795 posts

Hey everyone! As anyone that knows me knows, I love to build/fix/attempt to do as much around my house/cars/shop as possible without asking for help or paying a professional to come do it for me.

In the spirit of this, I wanted to start up a thread to let everyone showcase their own DIY projects both during/after and also a place for people to ask questions and learn stuff too! 

So feel free to post anything from installing new door knobs to overhauling engines! I would love to see and hear the stories of the trials and tribulations of fellow DIY enthusiasts! 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,795 posts

0925172223c.jpg

To get this started off, here is one of my most recent projects to date. This is a base cabinet/work bench that I designed and built myself from scratch. 

Designed it to scale in SketchUp to get a feel for the size and allow me to make a cut list to see the cost of materials

Spoiler

Made up the carcass/framed out the face

Spoiler

Built the Drawers and installed the hardware

Spoiler

After making the top and applying a crap ton of finish, I insulated and sheathed the walls behind the bench, ran some more power and installed the pegboard after installing the bench!

Spoiler

I had never built even so much as a bookshelf when I decided to take this project on and even though a skilled eye sees a bunch of flaws, I am proud as fuck to have the finished product you see before you. It was close to 60 hours of working on just the building of the cabinet itself and I wouldn't trade the learning experiences/screw-ups for anything. Now to find out what the next big challenge could be! 

Hope you like, criticism is welcome!

Coyote

Coyote

• Staff
  • 965 posts

Real nice Sam, now for a computer bunch. :thumbsup:

HPLa5erjet

HPLa5erjet

• Staff
  • 99 posts

So pretty hnnnggg

MisteRFulcrouS

MisteRFulcrouS

• Forum Member
  • MrFulcrous

• 25 posts

That is so sexy, hnnngggggggg haha 

I am wanting to build my own desk for my setup but I don't know how to go about doing that... :wallbash:

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,795 posts

That is so sexy, hnnngggggggg haha 

I am wanting to build my own desk for my setup but I don't know how to go about doing that... :wallbash:

To be totally honest, start by googling/youtube searching desks and seeing what other people have come up with, i have always had a bit of do-it-yourself-er in me but i had ZERO experience with something as complicated as a full size base cabinet before. I hadn't build much more than framed 2x4 stuff prior to this just dove in head first and took my time

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,795 posts

My latest projects! The 3 cutting boards I made out of Red Oak and Poplar and that mobile work bench that is made out of 4 reclaimed cabinets, 2 sheets of 3/4 ply and some casters! It's got a ton of storage for whatever I need and can currently hold about 1800lbs without breaking the wheels off!

1129171158 (2017-11-29T11_58_21.000).jpg

MobileBench.jpg

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,795 posts
Experimenting with some more complicated stuff today
1212171217.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users