Photo

GPU possibly going bad?

Best Answer Sonder13, November 28, 2017

Please tell me oh Gods of NVIDIA!!!

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU INSTALL DIFFERENT DRIVERS ON DIFFERENT CARDS?!?!?!?!  :wallbash:

I think I've solved it for now. One card was running old drivers and the other was up to date. First and hopefully last time I ever deal with that. 

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Sonder13

Sonder13
  • Recruit
  • 10 posts
Operating System: Windows 7
Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe
Graphics/Video Card (GPU): 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti
Processor (CPU): i7-5960x
Hard Drive (HDD): Samsung EVO 850 1TB
Memory (RAM): G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4-3000
:

So I think one of my GPUs is on it's way out. I've been experiencing more and more frame drops when gaming as well as lag. To combat the issue I've rewired what monitors are using what GPU to see if that fixes anything. My next step is switching the PCI slots the cards are in if this doesn't fix anything. So couple of questions. 

1) Outside of 3D Mark what other ways are there to stress test and just make sure it's all working like it should?

2) Would running SLI possibly extend the life?

Anything anyone else thinks of please let me know. 

Thanks!!

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Chief Executive Salt Bringer

• 2,795 posts

Although SLI is fun, with most games, SLI Profiles either are garbage or don't exist. Take it from terrible experience when I say that SLI will not in any way help the life of the card(unless it was the secondary, in which case it should see a little less wear and tear. But I have fried GPUs before due to the imbalance of default GPU drivers lol

I always checked the specs of mine with GPUZ or MSI Afterburner to trend temps/gpu load and such to see if it's just topping out constantly or thermal throttling. Then 3DMark to put the screws too it while I watch :Kappa:

Sonder13

Sonder13
  • Recruit
  • 10 posts
✓  Best Answer

Please tell me oh Gods of NVIDIA!!!

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU INSTALL DIFFERENT DRIVERS ON DIFFERENT CARDS?!?!?!?!  :wallbash:

I think I've solved it for now. One card was running old drivers and the other was up to date. First and hopefully last time I ever deal with that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users