Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Windows 10 App Store Problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts
Operating System: Windows 10
App/Game Name: Forza Horizon 3
Error Code/Message: Fatal Error: Game content may be missing or corrupt

So I'm having an issue with the windows 10 store, when I move my game Forza to another drive (SSD) I get the error message 'Fatal Error: Game content may be missing or corrupt'.

Reinstalling the game does not work and reseting the app doesn't work. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this issue and how to fix it.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Wait, people use the store? :P

Windows <typically> writes more specific errors somewhere. In this case, you might want to check the event viewer for a more descriptive error. Are you familiar with how to check event viewer? 

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts

This is the only error I could find for the app in question

T1.PNG

T2.PNG

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

Well, Microsoft.OpusPG <seems> to be the "codename" for the game in the store. However, Opus is also an audio codec, which makes me suspicious if, in your tinkering with the issue, you didn't miss a file somewhere. 

The "ActivateApplicationFor....." is an RPC that is called to start an application or function (which could be a call to initiate an audio connection). 

This is a stretch, and almost a shot in the dark, but I would try making sure you have the codecs needed by making sure you have the Media Feature Pack (Windows 10)

If that doesn't work, we will need to get you to get a memory crash of the dump so that I can run it through WinDBG for ya and get ya some more detailed results of what is actually happening. 

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts

Well, Microsoft.OpusPG <seems> to be the "codename" for the game in the store. However, Opus is also an audio codec, which makes me suspicious if, in your tinkering with the issue, you didn't miss a file somewhere. 

The "ActivateApplicationFor....." is an RPC that is called to start an application or function (which could be a call to initiate an audio connection). 

This is a stretch, and almost a shot in the dark, but I would try making sure you have the codecs needed by making sure you have the Media Feature Pack (Windows 10)

If that doesn't work, we will need to get you to get a memory crash of the dump so that I can run it through WinDBG for ya and get ya some more detailed results of what is actually happening. 

The Media Feature Pack did not work, same result. As far as getting the .dmp file, I dont think I can since the program doesn't seem to actually be crashing. Its just seems to hang, while still using processing power and memory. Attached I have a video of what happens: 

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

The Media Feature Pack did not work, same result. As far as getting the .dmp file, I dont think I can since the program doesn't seem to actually be crashing. Its just seems to hang, while still using processing power and memory. Attached I have a video of what happens: 

Ok. If it is hanging, we can still debug the stack and memory if we force windows to make a dump of its current state. This is actually quite easy to do. Just right click on it in Task Manager and tell it to create dump file:

181DK115.png

It <can> take a while depending on how much memory it is currently using. After it's done, it will show you where you can find it:

4m0k374J.png

Since it is a game, I'm going to assume that it's going to be a fairly large dump. You just need to figure out a way to get me the file. :P

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts

Dump File: https://1drv.ms/u/s!...BjYiyojxcdtI-z0

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts
I got it downloaded today before I left for work. I will look at it tonight or tomorrow morning and I will let you know what I find.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

Ok. Took a look at the memory dump and unfortunately, there isn't anything concrete. I have a couple of theories of what could be causing it, but they require a little more debugging of the dump on my end (I don't want to send you on a wild goose chase). The stack (program processing pattern) looks normal (nothing is locked, in a race condition, or waiting for a thread to finish (semaphore)). There are some loaded modules in memory that could be the culprit, and the stack is even going through DirectX, but gimme another day to dig in a little deeper to the frames and see what I can come up with.

Just to make sure, it IS still happening, right? :)

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts

Yes it is still is happening. Also I have made other post on the issue on reddit (forzas subreddit) and one on their own forums but so far no-one has a concrete answer. Bt the way thanks for your help on this matter paronity, its much appreciated.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

Yes it is still is happening. Also I have made other post on the issue on reddit (forzas subreddit) and one on their own forums but so far no-one has a concrete answer. Bt the way thanks for your help on this matter paronity, its much appreciated.

No worries. Debugging Operating System and Software issues is my jam. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users