Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

SSD Suggestions / Windows 10 Key

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

Hello! After the No Man Sky Debacle (NMSD), I'm deciding to accelerate my plans to build my next OMEGA-class gaming system. To that end, I need some insight on a few items, particularly the HD and OS...

1. What would you,the gaming elite(-ish) recommend for 1-2 SSD's / HD's? I'm thinking a 250-500 GB SSD for the OS / Programs and a 1 TB for Videos, Documents, etc.
  2. Anyone have a spare Windows 10 key laying around? (Pro would be nice, but Home, just as good.)

Any assistance would be more than welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Judge_Payne, October 20, 2016.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Personally, I like OS + Applications on SSD1, Games on SSD2, and documents/media on HDD. Makes reinstalling your operating system easy, and your game saves never need to be backed up and transferred during the process. Don't forget about your backup hard drive!

I'd do an Intel or Samsung Evo for your OS drive, a SanDisk (or any cheap SSD) for your game drive, and of course anything Western Digital, Hitachi or HGST for your media drive. Just make sure it's a 7200rpm, 64mb Cache drive. 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

I'm a Samsung EVO whore. Originally installed an 840Evo for my OS and now have added another 850 EVO Pro and the speeds are amazing. have had zero issue and the Samsung software is pretty nice for optimization and performance tracking. 

My current set up(because I have a bunch of smaller SSDs)

500GB OS Boot drive

500GB Game SSD

120GB Game SSD

3TB WD Black HDD for Games

and a 1TB garbage HDD for files/media(needs replacing with something better but haven't yet)

If I redid it, I would get a 500GB M.2 PCI-E Drive for OS, 1TB SSD for the big games that benefit and another 3TB WD Black for everything else. 

goodbowler200

goodbowler200
  • 31 posts

How do the PCI-E drives work i haven't even seen those yet?

I currently have a 1TB WD Black drive for all my Pictures/Music and other random stuff, and a 120GB samsung 750 EVO that is constantly full that i have my windows 7 and a few games on.

But i plan to buy at least a 500 GB 850 EVO to install games on and keep my OS on the 120GB one with a few other small programs.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

How do the PCI-E drives work i haven't even seen those yet?

I currently have a 1TB WD Black drive for all my Pictures/Music and other random stuff, and a 120GB samsung 750 EVO that is constantly full that i have my windows 7 and a few games on.

But i plan to buy at least a 500 GB 850 EVO to install games on and keep my OS on the 120GB one with a few other small programs.

There are two different kinds of PCI-E hard drives you can get. The first, being a hard drive that plugs into a PCI-E slot on your motherboard, just like a GPU or sound card would. 

p3700.jpg

The second type of PCI-E SSD's are called M.2 - newer motherboards have a dedicated M.2 slot on the motherboards, and they take different size M.2 drives. These are a much smaller form factor. \

PEXSSD.jpg

goodbowler200

goodbowler200
  • 31 posts

Thanks Nackers i appreciate it. I will have to look into this for sure.

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 784 posts

if your motherboard have an M2 slot that shit is great especially the samsung 950 PRO M2 512GB

Max Sequential Read : Up to 2500 MBps

Max Sequential Write : Up to 1500 MBps

I MEAN LOOK AT IT!

Edited by joey, November 24, 2016.

timoflegends

timoflegends
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

I may have a key for you, ill send you a pm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users