Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Computer is Deaderino

Best Answer SaltySam, October 08, 2016

I would attempt a start without the GPU installed. Sounds a lot like when I burned up my 970. As soon as I booted it back to the integrated graphics it worked fine. Had 2 cards installed at the time so just got rid of the sli Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts
Operating System: Windows 10
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII
Graphics/Video Card (GPU): EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
Processor (CPU): Intel i7 6700k
Hard Drive (HDD): 3TB Western Digital Black, OCZ Vertex 460A 240gb, Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
Memory (RAM): G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16gb (2x8) DDR4 2400
Other Notes: PSU: PC Power & Cooling MKIII Silencer 750w

I was playing a game today and I began to smell a electrical burning smell and shortly after my computer started lagging and forced a system shutdown. It tried restarting itself but I stopped it and turned the power switch off on the back of the PSU to make sure there was nothing being powered in my system. About 10 minutes later I turned the switch back on and my motherboard and CPU cooler lights turned on (these always remain on while my system is turned off but the AC power is still connected). I then turned my computer on and my LED strip (Hue+ flicked on and off once and I heard a single click noise from my PSU and then it seemed to turn immediately back off (Though my motherboard and CPU cooler lights remained on so there was still some power coming through).

Any idea what it might be? I figured that it is my PSU causing the issue, but I can't test it since my computer won't turn on and I don't have a spare PSU around. I ordered a new Corsair RMi 750 80+ Gold which should get here by Monday, but that is a gamble since I'm not 100% it is my PSU or not.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks :)

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts
✓  Best Answer
I would attempt a start without the GPU installed. Sounds a lot like when I burned up my 970. As soon as I booted it back to the integrated graphics it worked fine. Had 2 cards installed at the time so just got rid of the sli

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member

• 3,416 posts

I would attempt a start without the GPU installed. Sounds a lot like when I burned up my 970. As soon as I booted it back to the integrated graphics it worked fine. Had 2 cards installed at the time so just got rid of the sli

You're a god, that was the problem... Well, I hope to god I have the warranty for it.

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member

• 3,416 posts

Just gave EVGA a call and I'm able to RMA it, so that's good news. Though, going to be out a card for about 1-2 weeks :'(

I don't know how I'm going to survive this.

Sadistic_Malice

Sadistic_Malice
  • 71 posts

Just gave EVGA a call and I'm able to RMA it, so that's good news. Though, going to be out a card for about 1-2 weeks :'(

That's why I love EVGA. I've had to RMA parts a few times over the years.

Monsterly

Monsterly
  • No Problem.

• 601 posts

OSRS

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

You're a god, that was the problem... Well, I hope to god I have the warranty for it.

Yeah it sucks but most companies its a minimum of 1 year if not 2 or 3. Glad you got it figured out and lord willing it will cost absolutely nothing to get it fixed!

CapN

CapN

• Retired
  • Shipshape and Shipfaced!

• 2,444 posts
I had this same issue over and over again when I ran dual 760s the bridge on the SLI would crap out, I would have to switch the cards around to get it to boot until I figured out it was the bridge was causing issues, I tried a few different bridges but eventually it burned one of the GPUs out and I now switched to a single 980ti because I got tired of always fiddling with it, it would be fine for 1-2 weeks at a time then out of the blue I would have a forced shut down and it would fail to boot and I would have to switch the cards around, anywhoo glad you got it figured out just thought I would post what happened with my setup

three beers

three beers

• Carlitos way

• 214 posts

How you doing bro! Sucks what happened to your 980Ti. Did you overclocked this gpu regulary? I have the same graphics card and it runs cool with the hybrid set up.

Berez-21

Berez-21
  • Recruit
  • 70 posts

Glad You figured it out though

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users