Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

How can I hear Twitch stream output, but not have it repeated to the stream?

twitch microphones mixers streaming

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

JDubeous

JDubeous
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts
Operating System: Windows 10

Greetings, 

Not sure if I should have posted this here or the Hardware & Software forum, but I'll give this a go. 

I'm getting back into Twitch streaming, and I'm trying to figure out a way so that I can hear how the stream sounds instantly, but without it repeating on the stream itself. Now, this may be a dumb idea, or one that just cannot be done, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure. 

I have a single computer setup, in addition to a Shure SM7B XLR microphone with a Behringer Xenyx X1222 mixer. I also have a Sennheiser Game Zero headset, along with a Sound Blaster Z PCI card

One of the main reasons I want to do this is so that I can instantly gauge in real time how high or low the microphone is in comparison to the PC audio (Games, Music, Discord, etc..). Also, since the mixer I have has audio effects, I would like to do this so I can know when the effect has stopped. 

So my thinking was that 

• I could hook up the Shure microphone to the mixer, and then have that hooked up to the PC via USB
  • Then use the line out/speaker from the SoundBlaster Z card on the PC and connect to the mixer as another channel
  • For my headset, have the headphone cord go to the mixer so I can hear the total mix (not sure where exactly I should be hooking this up, because I tried various ports on it and nothing sounded correct)
  • Then have the microphone cord (for the headset only) hooked up to the SoundBlaster Z

Now my reasoning for doing what I did with the headset cords was only so that anyone who is on Discord with me, wouldn't hear the total mix, only my microphone from the headset. But then I could have the headset speaker cord hooked into the mixer so that ONLY I could hear the mix. 

I was also thinking with OBS, I could have everything come through the mic channel, since it's all coming from the mixer anyway (both the XLR mic and desktop audio). I would have to turn off desktop audio in OBS so that it wouldn't repeat. Well, that was my thinking anyway. 

But here's the thing, I'm not the well versed with mixers. I think I have something hooked up totally wrong, or I'm not using a feature on the mixer correctly. I need to know where I should be connecting things on the mixer, or if all of this is not possible at all. 

If anyone is good with audio equipment and using it with PCs, I greatly need your help. 

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the super long post :)

Edited by JDubeous, September 13, 2016.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I don't know a lot about audio, but I don know that some mixers have a 'loop back' feature, where you can reroute your PC audio through your mixer so you can hear the output in your headphones. Their might be a way to do this with a series of cables, but I only know about this because my mixer has it built in. 

Personally, I've just gone through HOURS of testing all my apps, making note of their sound % and making sure I stay to that. Recording in OBS and rewatching over and over until i found the levels i wanted. As long as my windows playback is at 50%, with iTunes and Discord at the same level, and volume in iTunes at 25%, I know I'm able to talk over it. When i'm at a BRB, I can up iTunes volume in-app to 50%. It really just comes down to knowing what decibel level is too much, and monitoring the levels in OBS. 

JDubeous

JDubeous
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

I don't know a lot about audio, but I don know that some mixers have a 'loop back' feature, where you can reroute your PC audio through your mixer so you can hear the output in your headphones. Their might be a way to do this with a series of cables, but I only know about this because my mixer has it built in. 

Personally, I've just gone through HOURS of testing all my apps, making note of their sound % and making sure I stay to that. Recording in OBS and rewatching over and over until i found the levels i wanted. As long as my windows playback is at 50%, with iTunes and Discord at the same level, and volume in iTunes at 25%, I know I'm able to talk over it. When i'm at a BRB, I can up iTunes volume in-app to 50%. It really just comes down to knowing what decibel level is too much, and monitoring the levels in OBS. 

Yea, I have definitely recorded within OBS countless times to test levels. But sometimes with particular games, I need to either turn them up or down some more to sound well with my mic volume. 

Someone shot me this old link on Reddit about another mixer, but basically trying to do the same thing that I am. I just need to order a few more cables, and then see if it will work or not. 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

Could always start up a secondary twitch account with a random name/email just for testing purposes, I know a lot of the guys/gals do that so that when they change up hardware/software/games/etc you can stream to a no-name channel to check all your levels for alerts, mics, games and all that jazz.

Plus you can review the levels between scenes using the VODs and stuff

JDubeous

JDubeous
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Could always start up a secondary twitch account with a random name/email just for testing purposes, I know a lot of the guys/gals do that so that when they change up hardware/software/games/etc you can stream to a no-name channel to check all your levels for alerts, mics, games and all that jazz.

Plus you can review the levels between scenes using the VODs and stuff

Yea, I've been testing things by just doing recordings via OBS. After buying some cables that I needed, I actually was able to figure out how to wire everything up & it indeed worked fine. The only problem is that I have a noisegate setup for my mic within OBS and now that noisegate is applying to all sound (PC sound included), which is not a good thing. So this may just be a lost cause at this point, lol. 

So now I'm thinking about giving up this little experiment. I may even return this particular mixer (Behringer X1222USB) & get a voice effects mixer, but keep the Shure mic that I have now. I previously tried using the Audio Technica AT2035 with the Roland VT3 Effects Mixer, but didn't have great results. But now I think that was primarily because of the AT2035 mic (it picked up EVERYTHING in the room) and not the mixer itself. So if I use the Shure mic w/ the Roland, I think I will at least get some of the results I wanted with this new audio setup. 

Edited by JDubeous, September 21, 2016.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

I know a lot of people have moved to hardware or other software for noisegates but I am still using the combination of VBCable(free) and Noisegator(free) to get my voice noisegate and that allows me to adjust my individual levels for everything else within the sound mixer in windows and then do the voice separate.

@BadBadRobot actually wrote up a solid tutorial on how to install and use this set up LONG ago here: https://gsngaming.co...te-for-windows/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users