Not sure if I should have posted this here or the Hardware & Software forum, but I'll give this a go.
I'm getting back into Twitch streaming, and I'm trying to figure out a way so that I can hear how the stream sounds instantly, but without it repeating on the stream itself. Now, this may be a dumb idea, or one that just cannot be done, but I figured I'd ask just to be sure.
I have a single computer setup, in addition to a Shure SM7B XLR microphone with a Behringer Xenyx X1222 mixer. I also have a Sennheiser Game Zero headset, along with a Sound Blaster Z PCI card.
One of the main reasons I want to do this is so that I can instantly gauge in real time how high or low the microphone is in comparison to the PC audio (Games, Music, Discord, etc..). Also, since the mixer I have has audio effects, I would like to do this so I can know when the effect has stopped.
So my thinking was that
- I could hook up the Shure microphone to the mixer, and then have that hooked up to the PC via USB
- Then use the line out/speaker from the SoundBlaster Z card on the PC and connect to the mixer as another channel
- For my headset, have the headphone cord go to the mixer so I can hear the total mix (not sure where exactly I should be hooking this up, because I tried various ports on it and nothing sounded correct)
- Then have the microphone cord (for the headset only) hooked up to the SoundBlaster Z
Now my reasoning for doing what I did with the headset cords was only so that anyone who is on Discord with me, wouldn't hear the total mix, only my microphone from the headset. But then I could have the headset speaker cord hooked into the mixer so that ONLY I could hear the mix.
I was also thinking with OBS, I could have everything come through the mic channel, since it's all coming from the mixer anyway (both the XLR mic and desktop audio). I would have to turn off desktop audio in OBS so that it wouldn't repeat. Well, that was my thinking anyway.
But here's the thing, I'm not the well versed with mixers. I think I have something hooked up totally wrong, or I'm not using a feature on the mixer correctly. I need to know where I should be connecting things on the mixer, or if all of this is not possible at all.
- Behringer website product page for the mixer
- Amazon product page for mixer
- Sound Blaster Z Product Page on NewEgg
If anyone is good with audio equipment and using it with PCs, I greatly need your help.
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the super long post
Edited by JDubeous, September 13, 2016.