Photo

Nvidia gtx 1060 more powerful than gtx 980?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

epicwolf

epicwolf
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

So I have a gtx 970 and I am building a new rig very soon. I went to browse some pc parts for my new rig and i wanted to upgrade my graphics card.  My plan was to buy a gtx 1070 which is pretty much the correct route for me since I don't over clock and do any of those stuff. I also don't so SLI and I do not have a 4k monitor so having 4k ready GPU doesn't make sense to me. Also I do want to save some money for other things in life I want to spend on.  Then I noticed that there is this little cute graphics card called the GTX1060 that is only around $250 brand new. The price really catches my eyes but those kind of "cheap" cards are very mediocre and is hard to run any games in utra settings smoothly.  So I ignore it for awhile until I noticed someone told me the gtx 1060 is a lot better than my 970 and also a little more powerful than a 980.  I couldn't believe it at first so i do some research and it seems to be a more powerful card than the gtx 980.  I fell out of my chair. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't dreaming about this. Is it true that a $250 card 6gb is more powerful than a $500 gtx 980 card? Why in the world would anybody buy a gtx 980 now if they can save money getting the 1060? 

btw,  I probably getting the gtx 1070 anyway but I find it crazy for anybody who is on a budget willing to spend 500 bucks on a card that is weaker than a 200 dollar card. And 980 owners felt a little ripped off?

Edited by epicwolf, September 01, 2016.

Iceman

Iceman

• Retired Staff
  • Ice Cream Anyone?

• 2,517 posts

Some other things you should consider when buying a new video card are the available outputs and the age of your mother board. A new video card will probably work in a order setup, but you will not get the full benefit of that card if your mother board is dated or configured in a way that it does not take advantage of PCIe slots. The other point would be what kind of outputs that it has, and what kind of monitors you have. I understand you are not using any fancy outputs such as 4K but its kind of pointless to have a kickass video card when you only have older 60Hz LED monitors. In the end all I am saying consider all your external factors, and is it really worth it to spend a bundle on a video card, when the rest of your system is dated, (not that I am saying yours is). Good luck on your purchase. :thumbsup:

epicwolf

epicwolf
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

S

Some other things you should consider when buying a new video card are the available outputs and the age of your mother board. A new video card will probably work in a order setup, but you will not get the full benefit of that card if your mother board is dated or configured in a way that it does not take advantage of PCIe slots. The other point would be what kind of outputs that it has, and what kind of monitors you have. I understand you are not using any fancy outputs such as 4K but its kind of pointless to have a kickass video card when you only have older 60Hz LED monitors. In the end all I am saying consider all your external factors, and is it really worth it to spend a bundle on a video card, when the rest of your system is dated, (not that I am saying yours is). Good luck on your purchase. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info.  So should I get the 1060 instead of the 1070? That would be a money saver.  Also, I am planning on building another pc with the latest motherboard but my old rig I will give it to a family member, however, i also want to put the 1060 in the old motherboard which is a MSI z97 with ddr3 ram slot. Will that board fit the new 1060 card or is it outdated? I bought that board like two years ago.

Edited by epicwolf, September 01, 2016.

Iceman

Iceman

• Retired Staff
  • Ice Cream Anyone?

• 2,517 posts

I am running a ROG Z170 series board, but if you have the money to get the card you want, then you should consider getting it. It will one less thing to buy later. As for fitting in you existing board, I believe it should since you were running a 970 series card. I am running a GTX 1070, but I  really wanted the 1080. The problem was they wanted $1100 for the card $ Cdn. The 1060 sounds like a deal though.

IdealShooting

IdealShooting
  • Basic Member
  • 212 posts

S

Thanks for the info.  So should I get the 1060 instead of the 1070? That would be a money saver.  Also, I am planning on building another pc with the latest motherboard but my old rig I will give it to a family member, however, i also want to put the 1060 in the old motherboard which is a MSI z97 with ddr3 ram slot. Will that board fit the new 1060 card or is it outdated? I bought that board like two years ago.

I am running a ROG Z170 series board, but if you have the money to get the card you want, then you should consider getting it. It will one less thing to buy later. As for fitting in you existing board, I believe it should since you were running a 970 series card. I am running a GTX 1070, but I  really wanted the 1080. The problem was they wanted $1100 for the card $ Cdn. The 1060 sounds like a deal though.

It is compatible just so everyone knows :)  

Berez-21

Berez-21
  • Recruit Member
  • 62 posts

damn i have a gtx 980

goodbowler200

goodbowler200
  • Recruit Member
  • 27 posts

My advice and my personal preference is to buy a high end video card every other generation.

For example i have in my computer now a gtx 760 (i was going to buy a 770 but i ran out of $$$ when i was building my new system).

I am soon going to upgrade to a 1070 card and i will keep that until the 12XX series cards come out 3 or 4 years down the road.

This is what i have been doing for as long as i can remember and i have never really had any problems haha.

Also i upgrade mobo and processor every 4 or 5 years or when ever my current system is feeling really sluggish.

I am very cost aware when buying parts and read alot of reviews before buying ANYTHING!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users