Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Building "Potato 2.0"...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

So, after my debacle with NMS, and some erratic gameplay from Siege over the past couple weeks, I've decided to start researching parts for my new system (and no, it will NOT be named Potato 2.0)

These are the only parts that will be "transplanted" (albeit temporarily) from my current build:

*My 16 GB of DDR3 1600 (4x4 GB)

*My 1 TB HDD (This may be incorporated into a larger HDD)

*MY MSI nVidia GTX 950

*Windows 10 Pro (BadBadRobot mentioned that my license can transfer to a new machine, but I am HIGHLY skeptical - Can anyone verify this?)

So, I pose this to the "experts" of the gaming community I love so very much:

*I'm thinking of turning to the dark side and going with Intel. I don't need an i7, so what would you suggest for no more than $350?

*I also need a good MB for this setup (where the processor is in the MIDDLE of the CPU support list - I want to be able to have this system be the next modular system where I can step-grade). Suggestions?

*What other components would you suggest I should bring in / upgrade?

*How can I make this budget friendly? ($800 tops) The sooner I can work on putting this together, the more I feel I can be back "in it", especially for Titanfall 2, BF1, and No Man's Sky (yes, I still want to play this game).

I have a draft listing of the new system here: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/yKHQD8

I have been all over the place emotionally since my NMS debacle last Friday. Any help you can provide would be helpful!

Edited by Judge_Payne, August 15, 2016.

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,410 posts

AS I TOLD YOU A THOUSAND TIMES... YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED THE FOLLOWING 3 LETTERS:

S.S.D

YOUR ENTIRE SETUP IS INVALID WITHOUT ONE.

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

AS I TOLD YOU A THOUSAND TIMES... YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED THE FOLLOWING 3 LETTERS:

S.S.D

YOUR ENTIRE SETUP IS INVALID WITHOUT ONE.

It's funny you mentioned that. If you looked at the draft build, that's already included. Looking for that "sweet spot" in size. Went with 512 GB

Stormborn

Stormborn
  • Retired
  • 394 posts

Buy the Samsung 850 evo 500GB, it's only $158 on amazon.  I would also look at the i5 6600k CPU, with DDR 4 and a nice Mobo that supports NVME M.2 SSDs.  That is the best investment.  You will have room to get a VERY fast SSD sometime later and an upgraded CPU if you need it, more ram, etc.  My two cents.

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

a nice Mobo that supports NVME M.2 SSDs. 

How do I find out if a MB has the NVME support?

Edited by Judge_Payne, August 15, 2016.

ViperTech0911

ViperTech0911
  • 34 posts
First off, you better be greatful because I have lost everything I have typed twice now. This is time number 3 for me to try and help you. FML.......

I agree with some of what Stormborn has said. If your looking to upgrade and be able to upgrade from that build for a while, go with a better i5 or i7. You're budget for the processor is $350. A i7-6700k is $320 and a i5-6600K is $220. Your also upgrading the motherboard, go with the Z170 chip set. Better performance and it will last longer. Get the board I have, it works great, your familiar with it because its an upgraded version of yours and it is reviewed highly. Get the Gygabite Z170X-UD5. It also allows overclocking if your interested.
With that being said, you will have to upgrade to DDR4. It will cost about $70 to get a decent 16gb of 2400. You should keep the power supply from your current build and the case as long as it is an ATX case. I made a build for you that I will attach to the end of this that will cost about $886 for an i7 and $786 for an i5. It replaces the MoBo, processor, gives you an SSD, and ram.
As for the SSD, if your just looking to boot from it and keep your current games on, save $70 and get the 250gb Samsung 850 Evo. You already have a 1 Tb HHD. That is plenty.
If your just looking to upgrade graphics now, go for it. But a 950 to 970 is not much of a jump. 950 does fine for 1080p playing. Save and get a 1060 for $300 or 1070 for $450.

BadBadRobot is not just going to lie to you and blow smoke up your butt. There are ways to get the OS key unlocked and tranfered. One way is contacting Microsoft directly. Look around online but it is possible. Also, your wasting your money on the Pro version unless you really do use the few extra things that come with it.

payne build.png

If you decide to wait on the GPU, that build will cost $636 with the i7 and $536 for the i5. You may need to get different brackets for the cpu cooler unless you still have them. It may be better to just buy a new one.

How do I find out if a MB has the NVME support?

Check your MoBo's manual.

Edited by Nackers, August 16, 2016.

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

If you decide to wait on the GPU, that build will cost $636 with the i7 and $536 for the i5.  You may need to get different brackets for the cpu cooler unless you still have them.  It may be better to just buy a new one.

I just updated the part list. Thanks for your input. I'm sure BBR has "friends" or someone in GSN has a spare copy of Windows 10 Home/Pro they could "donate". LOL As for the EVO Cooler, I would purchase new, and find a way to sell all the old parts.

ViperTech0911

ViperTech0911
  • 34 posts
Where is the updated list. Just curious on the build.

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

Where is the updated list. Just curious on the build.

Click the link in the OP. I updated it from there

AiracoBRa

AiracoBRa

• Brazilian Member

• 452 posts

*Windows 10 Pro (BadBadRobot mentioned that my license can transfer to a new machine, but I am HIGHLY skeptical - Can anyone verify this?)

Yep, I get it, I don't trust @BadBadRobot either. I mean, i's not like he works with computers for a living or anything... :ph34r:

TrackPadGaming

TrackPadGaming

• The King of Stupid

• 202 posts

just buy a laptop, you know its superior :)

Judge_Payne

Judge_Payne
  • 243 posts

Yep, I get it, I don't trust @BadBadRobot either. I man, i's not like he works with computers  for a living or anything... :ph34r:

Funny. But I don't want to put the materials together to find out that it won't transfer over.

However, I am seeing a little bit of progress with NMS. I'll wait another day or two to see what happens.

ViperTech0911

ViperTech0911
  • 34 posts

Just tell them that your Mobo broke or something and you need them to unlock the key for the replacement.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Sounds like you got most of what you need. If you're okay with spending $300 on a CPU, I'd just do what Storm suggested and snag a i7-6700k. That will be a good CPU for you for 5 years, as long as you're just sticking to gaming and not streaming/video editing. 

Viper put together a solid build for you. I'd roll with those parts. And I know you'd like the idea of being able to keep your mobo and swap out the CPU, but by the time you're ready for a new build, you're going to want to upgrade your motherboard at the same time. It's good to be in the mindset of always replacing your mobo and cpu together. Best practice. 

Man, DDR4 ram certainly came down in price. 

ViperTech0911

ViperTech0911
  • 34 posts

@Nackers *cough* Viper suggested *cough* :)

Edited by ViperTech0911, August 16, 2016.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

@Nackers *cough* Viper suggested *cough* :)

WHOOPS

ViperTech0911

ViperTech0911
  • 34 posts

WHOOPS

lmao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users