Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Need a gaming laptop.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

drussthelegend

drussthelegend
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Hi, I have to buy a gaming laptop to use while I am away from home with work. I know, i know laptops aren't any good for gaming and all that. I will be travelling around the UK a lot so a desktop is not an option.

I have up to around £700 to spend so I know I can't get one with all the bells and whistles on it but i want to get the most bang for my buck basically. I want to play the highest spec games I can for my limited budget and I'm struggling to make a decision.

For a while I have been convinced that the MSI GL72 6QC is the one for me and I very nearly bought it and am still tempted. But I have seen a few others now that make me think I can do better for the money.

For instance I have seen this one the Medion Erazer P6661 Which seems like a slightly better spec but I can't find many reviews for it.

And the Medion Erazer P7643 Same problem finding reviews for this one.

Also saw this on the ASUS Republic of Gamers GL552VW which has the adition of a small SSD.

There are a few others I won't link them all but any of you experts out there, i would be really really grateful for some advice. What would you buy if you had a max of £700 to work with? I'm getting lost within all the different options and really want to make a good decision as this is a hell of a lot of money to me and I likely won't be upgrading for a long long time.

drussthelegend

drussthelegend
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Also have just come across this on the Dell Inspiron 15-7000 which looks pretty awesome to me. A little bit above my price range but could probably just about stretch if it is as good as it looks.

SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon
  • Staff
  • I AM THE MILKMAN!! MY MILK IS DELICIOUS!!

• 442 posts

I believe that laptop you posted would be decent enough. The hardware should be able to run most games on medium and some even on high and still be able to get decent frames.

IdealShooting

IdealShooting
  • 213 posts

I agree with speed the laptop you posted would be able to run most games you listed on your introduction page. Not high end graphics but medium like speed said. 

Thunder

Thunder
  • Staff
  • still watching you ...

• 7,663 posts

Out of these five, I would go with the ASUS.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

I would go with either the MSI (I looked into these last year as a road-worthy option just couldn't afford to go ahead and blow the money then) or the ASUS.

Also remember to leave enough budget for a good cooling pad(with fans and such) and a good mouse to pair along with it. Whenever I have gamed on laptops, thermal loads from the onboard graphics cards and batteries always ends up throttling the processor so having a decent pad is a solid investment. (something like the ones found here: http://www.newegg.co...Category/ID-319). They range from very cheap to a little over the top but worth the money.

drussthelegend

drussthelegend
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts
Hi guys. Thanks a lot for the responses. This is the one that has my vote at the moment.

http://www.saveonlap...9)_1856981.html do you guys think that the msi is a better choice than this Dell. It's more expensive and seems like it would be better than the others listed. What do you guys think? Will be buying it on Friday.

IdealShooting

IdealShooting
  • 213 posts

Hi guys. Thanks a lot for the responses. This is the one that has my vote at the moment.

http://www.saveonlap...9)_1856981.html do you guys think that the msi is a better choice than this Dell. It's more expensive and seems like it would be better than the others listed. What do you guys think? Will be buying it on Friday.

Definitely a bang for your buck! I would buy it 

drussthelegend

drussthelegend
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts
I think I'm going to get the Dell. Will definitely be investing in a cooling pad too. And a decent mouse. Can any of you recommend one that does the job but isn't too pricey?

drussthelegend

drussthelegend
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Although there is THIS ONE TOO which looks pretty similar apart from the different graphics card and lack of an SSD £100 cheaper though and has a bigger screen. Do any of you know which is best out of AMD Exo XT 4GB and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M with 4GB GDDR5 Dedicated Memory. And do I really need the small SSD on the more expensive of the 2. Does it make a great deal of difference?

Edited by drussthelegend, July 30, 2016.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Out of these five, I would go with the ASUS.

I have had two ASUS RoG laptops and they are were both absolutely amazing. They put up with my kids dropping them, spilling juice directly on the keyboard, tearing out the DVD Drive, and so much more without even flinching. In fact, the last one has a GTX260 that had all that happen to it, still works perfectly, it's just dated. They make an AMAZING mobile gaming rig. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users