Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

High RAM usage

Best Answer GforGreg, May 25, 2016

Found the issue, did a driver sweep and found out my LAN driver was causing the massive memory leak. 

All good now.

Thanks for yalls help and golden rule from this is always do a clean install when updating from an ISO, saves you the hassle.

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts
Operating System: Windows 10
:
:
:
:
Memory (RAM): 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Other Notes: Windows update 10.0.10586 Build 10586
(Windows 10 Education)

So after updating windows a problem appeared, task manager shows that my RAM usage is idling around 85% - 90%. Thought it was a rouge program so I restarted only to find out a process called 'System and compressed memory' seemed to be causing the problem (Note: This was not there before updating). Went to google it where a forum told me to disable 'Superfetch', this didnt work, in-fact caused more problems. More looking and people seemed to be saying this was a normal Windows operation. 

Now problems don't really arise until I play a game like fallout and try to run chrome at the same time. It makes the memory max out and causes the computer to slow to a crawl. In a normal browsing environment though it seems to work fine. 

So I just wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem or had this problem and now how to deal with it. Or if it is actually a normal windows operation, because supposedly it should be helping me, not hurting me.

**These screenshot are taken at pretty much idle, with only one chrome tab open**

C1.PNG

C2.PNG

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,661 posts

Interestingly your screenshot shows that while you are using 88% memory it certainly isn't the system and compressed memory that says its only using 147MB and you have 14.5GB of memory in use. something else is going on here unless that memory amount jumps around that cannot be the problem. it is still quite a bit to be using for a windows background app though.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

You need something that will allow you to look more in depth at what the memory is doing. That system and compressed memory is only USING 143 MB of your 16GB, so it's not single-handedly the culprit. That's not to say it couldn't be a part of the issue or a cog in the clockwork underneath.  Tey made a lot of changes in Windows 10 on how the memory allocators work and how garbage is cleaned up. They work in a tiny bit more flexible and long term management system (like *nix systems have done for years). The issue is that they do a TERRIBLE job of showing what is being used because Windows (as it always has) has to assume the end-user is a moron that doesn't know what they are looking at. Hence why you can't really see what's being used without digging a bit more. 

1.) Is your task manager set to show processes from all users?

2.) Does resource manager give you any more detailed information?

3.) Does this happen as soon as you turn on the computer, or over time?

4.) Try creating a new user on the system and see if it happens with a new user (if not, you can delete the user afterwards). 

5.) Report back to me and we can dig deeper. :)

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts

1.) Is your task manager set to show processes from all users?

2.) Does resource manager give you any more detailed information?

3.) Does this happen as soon as you turn on the computer, or over time?

4.) Try creating a new user on the system and see if it happens with a new user (if not, you can delete the user afterwards). 

5.) Report back to me and we can dig deeper. :)

1) Yes

2) A program processes called MsMpEng.exe seems to be the top horder of RAM.

3) As soon as the computer starts it occurs.

4) Same result as on my main account

5) Done :)

Attached Images

• Capture.PNG

Edited by GforGreg, May 25, 2016.

GforGreg

GforGreg
  • Getaway Driver

• 239 posts
✓  Best Answer

Found the issue, did a driver sweep and found out my LAN driver was causing the massive memory leak. 

All good now.

Thanks for yalls help and golden rule from this is always do a clean install when updating from an ISO, saves you the hassle.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Glad you got it sorted - driver updates would have been my next guess. Some of those things can be beasts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users