Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

New nVidia 1070 & 1080 GPU's

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

8jF5QTnTJDib3pim8aDRnN-650-80.jpg

As you may or may not have seen, nVidia sneakily released some new GPUs this past week. Maybe you guys new that they were coming, but I was blindsided by the release. Usually nVidia GPU's get much more press before a release. 

Anyways, there are some cool new features besides the performance bump that makes these new cards awesome. If you want to go into detail, you can read the full article here. I'll highlight some of the points below. 

• Ansel - So hot right now. A new tool and API called Ansel to aid artists in capturing amazing screenshots. It's a free camera utility that you can position anywhere you want, it has support for a variety of filters, HDR (EXR) is supported, and you can bump up the resolution of the capture.

• Resolution Support - 61440 x 34560 and the ability to capture 360 degree screenshots for people to view using VR headsets.

• Nvidia VRWorks Audio - Pretty much just 3D audio. Great for VR. Hence the name. 

• Single-pass simultaneous multi-projection - This is awesome for people who use multiple displays for in-game. Normally, all three displays are treated as flat surfaces in game, so your perspective is a little skewed. This corrects that. AWESOME.

There are a few more cool features outlined in the article. Give it a read!

So, who is going to be buying one? I have a 780ti superclocked right now, so I have no real need to upgrade yet. I'll be waiting until the next 'ti' card comes out. Whether that will be the 1080 series or not, i'm not sure. But I don't have a reason to upgrade. Maybe you feel differently?

Sadistic_Malice

Sadistic_Malice
  • 71 posts

I have a 980 and don't feel that I need to upgrade, though these cards are supposedly as powerful as two of my cards in SLI.

MRVANSMAN

MRVANSMAN
  • Aye lmao

• 388 posts

Maybe this is what santa will generously bestow upon me on Christmas day!

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts

I've been thinking about grabbing a 1080 pre-order, selling my 980ti, then buying another 1080 to run in SLI. I need more power to support my 1440p resolution while having close to maxed settings pulling at the very least 80fps in most games I play. Then again I could always wait and see what is in store for the future (next Ti card etc...). But I'm tired of waiting and after just updating my computer (minus GPU/PSU) I want to be able to get the most out of my setup.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I've been thinking about grabbing a 1080 pre-order, selling my 980ti, then buying another 1080 to run in SLI. I need more power to support my 1440p resolution while having close to maxed settings pulling at the very least 80fps in most games I play. Then again I could always wait and see what is in store for the future (next Ti card etc...). But I'm tired of waiting and after just updating my computer (minus GPU/PSU) I want to be able to get the most out of my setup.

I'm having a hard time believing you need SLI'd 1080's to power a single 1440p monitor for gaming, even at 120-144hz. Your 980ti is sufficient for gaming on a 1440p monitor at 60-120fps, unless of course your using multiple monitors in game. If anything, just buy a second 980ti for SLI and you'll be fine for quite some time. 

Nimbus

Nimbus
  • Staff
  • ITS YA BOI

• 2,709 posts

2 1080s for 1440p? uhh no 2 980ti's is fine for it and that will be good for a while

2 1080s would be great for 4k though 

MrFortyTwo

MrFortyTwo

• Staff
  • Newdoodabooder

• 678 posts

I'll likely be getting a 1080... I would just wait for the Ti version as well, but I know that guy will probably cost a good chunk more, and the 1080 itself is in a good price range for me.

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

Im loving the projected price point. Should make all the 9 series prices plummet !!

Machine Gun Preacher

Machine Gun Preacher
  • Forum Member
  • Yes, I know I post too much.

• 4,647 posts
Gonna get the 1080TI next year with a complete new build. Hopefully VR will have improved by then. Because these are honestly only for VR and 4K/ multi monitor set ups now. My 970 has no problem pulling 60 FPS at 1080p.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

I need to upgrade cards. That is my rigs bottleneck for sure, just gotta get the funds. 

These things look like they have some awesome features, as well as substantial performance boots. Looking forward to seeing them put through their paces. 

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Look at these babies - Image%202016-05-12%20at%207.14.11%20PM.p

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

I have such a huge E-boner right now....

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,662 posts

they seriously saying that with the low price of the 1080 its gonna smash the titan X a over 1k card? I find that really hard to believe....

Stormborn

Stormborn
  • Retired
  • 394 posts

I'm going for the 1070.  I just ordered a new 1440p monitor with 144hz and g-sync, so that should push it nicely, considering the 1070 is even faster than the Titan.  Also, I'm still rocking a 560 Ti, so it's about time.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

My gripe with this first video is that only 4k benchmarks were shown. Here is another channel that did more benchmarks at 1080p, which is more relevant to 90% of us. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users