Photo

Server Performance

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

I've been enjoying the new ARK Map ! Thanks to all the folks responsible for getting it up and running and keeping it going.

I have been dealing with a high amount of lag and/or rubber banding while playing. It's difficult at times in a dino battle when your player is jumping back and forth or commands are a few seconds behind what's actually going on.

Is anyone else dealing with this? Is it just a deal with the Valhalla map? Is there some setting that needs to be tweaked?

Curious to know if it's just me or if other folks are having this issue.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Chief Executive Salt Bringer

• 2,799 posts

Some of the lag comes from how the server saves, this is the short spurt of lag that is just about every 20mins. It's unavoidable but we could be saving less often and that would at least reduce the amount of times the server is lagging in order to save. This is a setting that was carried over from the last server and may be causing issues just because of the gain in server pop and map size we have seen since launch.

I will hunt around in the configs and see if there's anything that I could change to help out on that end. Otherwise, I haven't really had any game breaking lag as of yet. If it's an issue that everyone is having we may have to implement regular daily(or nightly) restarts.

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

Understandable. No worries man. It's not "unplayable" by any means. I didn't know if there were some settings I should change from the way I was setup from the normal map. 

sound like it's just part of the deal. We are on a modded alpha game so all good sir.

Xeerar

Xeerar
  • 129 posts

On this note, i have noticed that this map lags a lot more for me than the previous one, not more as in more often, but more as in the lag spikes last way longer, sometimes five seconds or more at a time, where on the other map whenever it lagged it was for like a second or two. Now im not sure how much of a refference i am for this here as (we all know) my internet connection is not always brilliant, plus being located in Europe means my server ping is through the roof anyway LOL 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,799 posts

Well I have the day off tomorrow so whenever I get online I will scour my backups of the last server and see if the saves commands in the configs have changed and if so, fix them and let everyone know on this thread what I find. :)

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

On this note, i have noticed that this map lags a lot more for me than the previous one, not more as in more often, but more as in the lag spikes last way longer, sometimes five seconds or more at a time, where on the other map whenever it lagged it was for like a second or two. Now im not sure how much of a refference i am for this here as (we all know) my internet connection is not always brilliant, plus being located in Europe means my server ping is through the roof anyway LOL 

This is what made it noticeable for me. The duration of the lag spikes. 

Thanks for giving it a look Salty

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,411 posts

Well I have the day off tomorrow so whenever I get online I will scour my backups of the last server and see if the saves commands in the configs have changed and if so, fix them and let everyone know on this thread what I find. :)

It was way noticeable on the last map due to frequent saving (when Gurthyy was running the show). We should drop the autosave to about every hour. I don't think the server has had any issues lately with needing rollback so personally I feel 1 hour is better. If the server did crash a lot, that would be a different story and I'd find a new host.

My ¥0.02 yen

Coyote

Coyote

• Staff
  • 979 posts

I have also noticed the lag on ARK, and agree with M2 that changing the autosave to 1 hour will be a step in the right direction.  :thumbsup:

P.S. Good to see @Rando back, and enjoying ARK. 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,799 posts
Sounds good to me, will update in the a.m. after this storm passes and lightning stop striking outside my office window lol

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,799 posts
Alrighty updated the config to only save once per hour so let me know if it's a noticable difference and we can go from there

Coyote

Coyote

• Staff
  • 979 posts

I think it's a lot better than it was. Thanks Sam

Xeerar

Xeerar
  • 129 posts

i seem to get less lag and the lag spikes are not as long :D 

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

Performance is much better !! Thanks you !

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff

• 2,799 posts

Definitely think that was the change we needed to make as well. Played all day today and only had a couple hiccups the whole time. Hope the new update didn't break anything in the mods *fingers crossed* lol 

1FingerSalute

1FingerSalute

• 32 posts

Big thumbs up!    :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users