Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Don't Want to upgrade to Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

So a huge problem in the system administration world right now is Windows 10 is forcing its updates on computers. It's causing headaches for end users, business owners, network/sys admins and tech support in general. 

Basically what is happening is your Operating System, whether it be Windows 7 or 8, is secretly downloading the Windows 10 Operating System through windows updates. If your computer is currently up to date with Windows Updates, you have a Windows 10 software package hidden in your user directory. 

Up until March, you had the option to NOT install the Windows 10 update. But now, people are waking up to find their computer upgraded to Windows 10 without consent. Before, this update was out in the open in the update list, and could be found using the correct update kb_xxxxxxx ID number. But now the Windows 10 upgrade is hidden inside an update for Internet Explorer 11, kb3139929.

So, are you one of the people who DO NOT WANT WINDOWS 10?

Well, this is for you. There is a tool that was built that prevents your computer from upgrading to Windows 10, while also deleting the files off of your computer. This tool is called GWX Control Panel, and you can download it by clicking here. The software is pretty self explanatory. Drag this .exe to your desktop and right click and run as administrator. Then:

• Click To Disable 'Get Windows 10' App (Remove Tray Icon)
  • Click to Prevent Windows 10 Upgrades
  • Click to Delete Windows 10 Download Folders
  • Click to Delete Windows 10 Programs
  • Click to Disable Non-Critical Windows 10 Settings

You don't need to worry about 'Click to change Windows Update Settings', 'Click to Enable Monitor Mode' and 'Click to Display the User Guide' unless you are an advanced user. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: Even if you have downloaded this software before, if you do not have the latest version 1.7.4.1, then you are vulnerable to getting the upgrade when you're not looking. This new version added a few more options since Microsoft changed how the update was delivered to you. NAUGHTY NAUGHTY MICROSOFT. 

OTHER NOTE: If you don't do SOMETHING to stop these updates, you WILL find yourself running Windows 10 whether you like it or not. Take the steps now to stop the upgrade, because Microsoft will not stop until you're upgraded. 

If you have any questions, please let me know below!

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

Perfect thanks

Iceman

Iceman

• Retired
  • Ice Cream Anyone?

• 2,522 posts

Good info Nackers. I see no reason to upgrade, and have been looking at each update to see what it is and hiding the ones that have anything to do with windows 10. Also I have my updates set to manual and not auto. Windows 10 completely screwed up my sons computer in regarding nvidia drivers and his composite hard drive. If there was a outstanding benefit to upgrade from 8.1 to 10 I would consider it, but until that happens no way.

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,662 posts
This is insulting to be honest. I feel like im having to fight off malware its absolutely insane part of me feels like this should be borderline illegal and makes me wonder whats microsoft thinking? This is just making me like them less and less dont force your always online everything integrated bullshit onto me

Nimbus

Nimbus
  • Staff
  • ITS YA BOI

• 2,709 posts

I cam home one day and windows 10 had installed itself.. I was very upset that day. But I have no problems with it so far so all good :) 

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

10 is good. Embrace the 10. :)

Thanks for the write-up though!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

10 is good. Embrace the 10. :)

Thanks for the write-up though!

I love it for personal use, but it's being such a pain in the ass for work. 

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

I love it for personal use, but it's being such a pain in the ass for work. 

Well, that's typical of many companies. They have different beef to deal with and it's not worth the cost/time to get everything up to speed. 

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 784 posts

good find

Stormborn

Stormborn
  • Staff
  • 394 posts

I would advise everyone to create a system image, upgrade while it's FREE and then remove the upgrade and go back to Windows 7. That "saves' your computer with Windows 10 so if you ever want to install it later, there will not be a charge.  Just a tip and it doesn't mean you have to use WIndows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users