Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Whos up for a challenge?

Best Answer Naaackers, April 01, 2016

If it is windows 3.1, the hard drive is most likely a IDE drive and not sata. So I would get a IDE to Sata/USB 2.0 hard drive adapter, take the hard drive out of the old computers, and plug them into this adapter. Plug the adapter into his new computer and transfer files over like it's a external hard drive. 

Something like this has a separate power supply to power the hard drive, and then an IDE to USB adapter for data transfer. That should work. 

I'm curious to hear how old these pictures are, what resolution they are and if this hard drive is bigger than 1gb lol. Maybe 512kb of RAM?

Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,661 posts
Operating System: Other
Motherboard: N/A
Graphics/Video Card (GPU): N/A
Processor (CPU): N/A
Hard Drive (HDD): N/A
Memory (RAM): N/A
Other Notes: Shits Windows 3.1 Yo

Alright so here's the situation. I built my grandfather a new computer told him the usual grab what you want from your old computers and we will move them over. ok no problem except... He has 2, a Windows XP machine that's 8 years old or so and a Window 3.1 machine that does not have ANY form of modern connection to it. Mouse is analog keyboard analog the ethernet ports are a modem and phone line and all it has for external support is a floppy drive. There are no Digital inputs on this beast at all. So...Whats the best method for retrieving these pictures and moving them to a modern windows 10 machine?

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts
✓  Best Answer

If it is windows 3.1, the hard drive is most likely a IDE drive and not sata. So I would get a IDE to Sata/USB 2.0 hard drive adapter, take the hard drive out of the old computers, and plug them into this adapter. Plug the adapter into his new computer and transfer files over like it's a external hard drive. 

Something like this has a separate power supply to power the hard drive, and then an IDE to USB adapter for data transfer. That should work. 

I'm curious to hear how old these pictures are, what resolution they are and if this hard drive is bigger than 1gb lol. Maybe 512kb of RAM?

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • 1,014 posts

Nackers beat  me to it. That will likely be your best bet (honestly, for both). The one I used to have actually had a Sata hookup as well, so you could pull both harddrives and simply drag and drop the data over. 

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,661 posts

I will get you the specs. Infact i believe he's going to give me the computer when we are done with it so I'll toy around with it break it down and take some pics for you guys. The main reason he wants the pictures is they're of me as a baby and some really old family photos but I will definitely get you the dates of the pictures and check the sizes and get back to you :D.

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Bear in mind, Windows 3.1 is going to have a different filesystem as well as formatting. 

You should be able to get what you need by using nackers method, but you will need to find them before you can grab them. 

I miss playing with 3.1....the good old days. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users