Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

ASUS Embeds RAM into MOBO!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

So, got my taxes done way early (which is odd, because this years were tough), and I Got my refund already and i decided that I needed a new bed laptop (just something to use while lounging around about to hit the hay). 

I didn't need to spend much.....maybe 500 bucks or so to get something that was in the i3/i5/i7 series and could do 1920x1080. These were my minimum requirements.

I ended up picking one that only had 4GB of RAM and bought a 16 GB kit just to upgrade it thinking that would make up for what i was lacking. 

I found the expansion slot that they give easy access to (to add a RAM stick) but I couldn't find the other slot. After tearing apart the entire PC to have full view of the board, I find RAM chips soldered directly into the mother board, rather than being their own stick......

I was a bit frustrated (but it worked out because the wife's laptop got the second stick and got an upgrade in the process), so I'm only at 12GB, but I was just shocked that they started doing this. Was news to me. Niot sure if other manufacturers are doing this as well or not yet (haven't really looked into it). 

Just wanted to post to let you guys know in case a laptop purchase is in your future and upgrading it is part of your plans....   

PS: The wife was awestruck that the first thing I did to my new laptop was dismantle the entire thing. She doesn't know me very well. :D

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 779 posts

what model is the laptop ? super slim jim? or normal one

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

what model is the laptop ? super slim jim? or normal one

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B011KFQASE

On another note, the laptop has been stable and done exactly what I need her to do, so I'm still satisfied with the order, that just seems like a stupid design decision IMO. 

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 779 posts

usually dell and hp laptops do have the slot but they are not upgradable as the motherboard cant take more than what it already has , but i can see why they would soldered it to the motherboard since they are making laptops slim is there goal right now..

though laptops that i know of that are upgradable are asus , msi, malibal, lenovo and maybe toshiba? but yea i was planing to upgrade my laptop ram from 8 to 16 then to later find out it the motherboard doesnt support it ... so look in the manual before you buy! 

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 779 posts

On another note, the laptop has been stable and done exactly what I need her to do, so I'm still satisfied with the order, that just seems like a stupid design decision IMO. 

huh i didnt see that one coming from asus!..

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

huh i didnt see that one coming from asus!..

Yea - ASUS is usually in tune with people wanting "control" over their hardware.....

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
So just for clarity, it isn't that they soldered a stick of RAM to the RAM slot which is a frequent practice sadly, but they surface mounted an array of individual BGA RAM chips to the motherboard?

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired

• 16,885 posts

So just for clarity, it isn't that they soldered a stick of RAM to the RAM slot which is a frequent practice sadly, but they surface mounted an array of individual BGA RAM chips to the motherboard?

The individual chips were surface mounted as a part of the mobo circuitry. If it were just the slot soldered in, I would have just removed it, but i don't have a tip fine enough to do the chips themselves (and it's not worth the time). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users