Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Livestreamer + New Beautiful GUI

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

What is LiveStreamer? Livestreamer is an application you can download that will allow you to use a media player on your PC (VLC Media Player) to watch Twitch Streams. This gives you the ability to watch the stream in the quality you prefer, which is awesome if your internet connection is less that stellar.

So after I saw some chatter in Robot's stream about LiveStreamer, I decided to download it and try it out again. I was very pleased to find out that there has been a GUI (Graphical User Interface) released to use with Live Streamer. 

Basically, imagine using a Windows Operating System when it was just text on a screen. And then imagine begin upgraded to having pictures and menus and stuff! That's what this update is like. Bringing images and color to LiveStreamer. 

Before, LiveStreamer was a little clunky to use, forcing you to have some .bat files stored locally, one for each streamer, with configuration needs per stream. Now, all the yucky clunky stuff has been hidden behind a beautiful piece of software. You can watch streams on your computer without visiting the website. 

Here is what it looks like.

Image%202016-02-08%20at%208.46.36%20PM.p

And instead of having to pre-configure a .bat file for each streamer you want to watch, you can just click on 'Streams' on the left to view which of the streamers you follow is currently live, click on that stream, and then choose your desired viewing quality here. You can also like, share, and launch chat for the stream here. Very cool. 

Image%202016-02-08%20at%208.46.55%20PM.p

In order to get this to work, you will need a few things. 

1. VLC Media Player
  2. LiveStreamer App (install before GUI)
  3. LiveStreamer GUI 32bit or 64bit
  4. This YouTube video to follow along and learn how to install

If you have any questions or need help let me know. 

Tagging @BadBadRobot and @MrFortyTwo as requested. 

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Thanks for the post. This is actually something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but I figured if I waited long enough, someone would do it for me. :D

Will be using this for sure. 

MrFortyTwo

MrFortyTwo

• Staff
  • Newdoodabooder

• 677 posts

I'm using it now it works great! Theres a dark mode and lots of customization

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

Dark Mode all the things!

Thanks for the write-up, Nackers!

PixelKhaos

PixelKhaos
  • Banned
  • 12 posts

Neat, however if they had used Electron or so, the chat AND the video could both be embedded into the same app window rather than be a shortcut for opening it separately.

Or simply, build the same app with Electron, but instead of requiring VLC or other external dependencies, simply build a videoplayer in NodeJS that handles controls, encoding levels and so. (using VideoJS may be a thing)

"simply" Kappa
Nah, but it's something I could play around with since I'm getting into building apps with Electron and need to practice javascript and node.

Edited by PixelKhaos, February 09, 2016.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Neat, however if they had used Electron or so, the chat AND the video could both be embedded into the same app window rather than be a shortcut for opening it separately.

Or simply, build the same app with Electron, but instead of requiring VLC or other external dependencies, simply build a videoplayer in NodeJS that handles controls, encoding levels and so. (using VideoJS may be a thing)

"simply" Kappa
Nah, but it's something I could play around with since I'm getting into building apps with Electron and need to practice javascript and node.

I personally like chat separate sometimes. Depends on how busy it is. That's just me though. However if they did a 'theatre mode' (like you said) like the web version offers that'd be pretty dope. 

Merlena

Merlena
  • Forum Member
  • 60 posts

Nackers; tops the top! Great stuff, man. Is this your work? If so tell me if you ever need any help with development.

Hugs,

Merlena

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Nackers; tops the top! Great stuff, man. Is this your work? If so tell me if you ever need any help with development.

Hugs,

Merlena

HAH! I wish! Not mine ;)

Merlena

Merlena
  • Forum Member
  • 60 posts

Great contribution anyway. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users