Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Upgrade time: suggestions needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TaPramen

TaPramen
  • Inactive
  • 34 posts

Every year around this time i start thinking about upgrading my computer.  I usually waffle back and forth between a beefier psu,  new gpu, more ram, all, neither.... on and on until I end up not upgrading it.  Here's what I'm running right now in a nutshell

My psu is weak, so that is a for sure upgrade.  I'm looking at bumping it up to 650w-850w. 

My GPU is on the low end of acceptable.  I get by with how the games look, but when I see games on Koda's computer compared to mine, it obvious I'm missing out on some visual bling. 

Here are the gpu's I'm considering upgrading to;

GTX 750 (like Kodas) or AMD R9 390 or GTX 970.

What are your thoughts?  Anything I'm missing?

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
Double the RAM double the fun. Seriously. 8 gb of RAM can barely hack it these days.

I'd personally recommend a 900 serious nvidia card personally. The gtx 970 is a pretty strong contender for a decent price. If you go that route the Asus strix edition 970 is a fantastic card with great performance and cooling.

Edited by Bourbon, January 27, 2016.

MRVANSMAN

MRVANSMAN
  • Aye lmao

• 382 posts

I say GPU personally. Yes your RAM could use some love but I think before that you hook that nice CPU up with a good partner 

I'd personally recommend a 900 serious nvidia card personally. The gtx 970 is a pretty strong contender for a decent price. If you go that route the Asus strix edition 970 is a fantastic card with great performance and cooling.

His suggestion is great, if you're going that route upgrade that PSU as well for sure dawg

Edited by MRVANSMAN, January 27, 2016.

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

Definately a graphics card. I LOVE my 970 Superclocked from EVGA. It's great bang for your buck, and it'll be a good card for a long while!

If not the 970, than the 950 is a steal for the price.

MrFortyTwo

MrFortyTwo

• Staff
  • Newdoodabooder

• 678 posts

I've heard nothing but good things from most 970 owners. Cant go wrong with a good upgrade to the old vidya card thinger!

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts
MOAR THINGS!

I currently run the MSI Gaming GTX970 4GB and have recommended it to everyone I know. It has a higher core clock speed then pretty much every other card in the class and still runs about the same price. Plus having 4x the VRAM will help take more of the load from your current memory. BUT definitely get a beefier PSU as well if you go this route. I ran a single card with a 750w and wouldn't want to go much less if you are planning for future upgrades.

TaPramen

TaPramen
  • Inactive
  • 34 posts

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Looks like the gtx970 is the way to go with a new psu.  Again, THANK YOU all!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users