Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Modem Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

LoneWolf

LoneWolf

• Forum Member
  • 1,237 posts

I am searching for a new modem, I can't seem to find the thread that I remember suggestions. What is a good modem at the moment? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated, after contacting our cable company multiple times and three different visits/troubleshooting, intermittent internet has become a burden.

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
Well for starters, what type of internet service do you have? Cable? DSL? This will determine what choices you have available. If cable I'm assuming it will beDOCSIS 3 standard.

Edit: cause I'm a moron

Edited by Bourbon, January 27, 2016.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts
Honestly, anything if most likely better than anything your ISP is going to issue you.

1.) It's unlikely that the modem is your core issue.
2.) Tell us an your current modern and ISP, as Bourbon suggested.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Well for starters, what's type of internet service do you have? Cable? DSL? This will determine what choices you have available. If cable I'm assuming DOCSIS 3 standard.

^^

What ISP do you have? 

What bandwidth package do you have?

What modem, router or modem/router combo do you have now?

Are you wireless or hardwired?

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
OK, regardless here are a couple suggestions that I would recommend, anyone who is more network savvy feel free to correct any ignorance or misinformation.

First off, don't get modem router combos, not only do they combine multiple points of failure into one device, but also restrict your upgrade options should your usage, peripherals, or requirements change with time.

Second, of your service is cable, I'd recommend a docsis 3.1 standard modem, so that even if your ISP isn't up to that standard you'll be future proofed when they eventually upgrade.

Lastly, while paronity is correct that an off the shelf modem is generally better and usually cheaper in the long run than bundled or rented ISP provided modems, I have anecdotal personal evidence that crap modems can cause intermittent connectivity issues.

With more info on your service and needs you'll be able to get more specific guidance.

Edited by Bourbon, January 27, 2016.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

OK, regardless here are a couple suggestions that I would recommend, anyone who is more network savvy feel free to correct any ignorance or misinformation.

First off, don't get modem router combos, not only do they combine multiple points of failure into one device, but also restrict your upgrade options should your usage, peripherals, or requirements change with time.

Second, of your service is cable, I'd recommend a docsis 3.1 standard modem, so that even if your ISP isn't up to that standard you'll be future proofed when they eventually upgrade.

Lastly, while paronity is correct that an off the shelf modem is generally better and usually cheaper in the long run than bundled or rented ISP provided modems, I have anecdotal personal evidence that crap modems can cause intermittent connectivity issues.

With more info on your service and needs you'll be able to get more specific guidance.

Yup, all spot on. I MADE THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE BIG.

What you'll need to do is check your ISP's website, try and find a modem compatibility list. Motorola surfobards are pretty much compatible with most ISP's except for AT&T.

This modem will take care of 90% of people, rated for up to 686Mbps down and 131Mbps up. 

This modem caps out at 1.4Gbps down, and 262Mbps up. So if you're on broadband, and have speeds faster than 600down/130 up - this would be the way to go. 

LoneWolf

LoneWolf

• Forum Member
  • 1,237 posts

it is through Cox Cable and is 50/5. I cant get to the modem right now because it's in a bedroom with someone sleeping.

It is a Modem/Router combo. The reason I believe it's the modem is because last night we had a tech come out again and he tested the signal to the modem and it's fine. Even replaced a couple of minor components outside, like a new splitter. Of course before he left, everything was up and running smooth, about 30 minutes later, down again. It's impossible to play MP games urgh.

I like @Nackers first recommendation, but I do need WiFi.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

it is through Cox Cable and is 50/5. I cant get to the modem right now because it's in a bedroom with someone sleeping.

It is a Modem/Router combo. The reason I believe it's the modem is because last night we had a tech come out again and he tested the signal to the modem and it's fine. Even replaced a couple of minor components outside, like a new splitter. Of course before he left, everything was up and running smooth, about 30 minutes later, down again. It's impossible to play MP games urgh.

I like @Nackers first recommendation, but I do need WiFi.

Look for other factors that could be playing a role here. I've been down this road with many carriers and they will always try to blame the house/hardware. While I'm not saying that it can't be the modem ( @Bourbon ) It's more than likely not. 

Is it always a certain time of the day?

Does it happen only when there is rain/snow in the area?

Does it only happen when X,Y, and Z are happening in your house at the same time? 

You have to remember, that from your house it goes to a pole, from that pole to a splitter, from that splitter to the closest blade server (likely hitting a few amplifiers along the way), then at that point you get on the backbone. Until you get the backbone, your ISP can still be at fault, and it could very well only effect you. 

LoneWolf

LoneWolf

• Forum Member
  • 1,237 posts
He changed the splitter and re replaced all the connecter from the splitter to the house.i believe there were 3. I got a text,from my brother saying he went to the cable company and they swapped our modem with a newer model. It was free though, I would like to just tell the company that there is no possibility it is due to us.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

Let us know how it goes! :)

LoneWolf

LoneWolf

• Forum Member
  • 1,237 posts
8 - 10pm PST It went down 5 times for about 5 min. This makes me believe is from outside the house for sure.

Have a secret weapon to deal with the cable company...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users