Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Dedicated Physx GPU Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts

So my new EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hyrbid should be arriving at my doorstep any minute now and I forgot to look into dedicated physx cards. I'll be replacing my two EVGA GTX 680 4gb VRAM cards and wondered if I could use at-least one of them as a dedicated Physx card. Would that even be beneficial at all for me? I figured, if I do that maybe I could plug all my non gaming monitors into it as well.

Have any of you used a dedicated Physx GPU configuration before? Did it ever seem to help much at all to make it worth keeping in the extra card that'll generate more power consumption/heat?

Appreciate any feedback.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Do you really need it with a beast of a card like a 980ti? I'd just leave it out and call it a day. 

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts

Do you really need it with a beast of a card like a 980ti? I'd just leave it out and call it a day. 

Yeah that was mainly why I asked, I wasn't sure if it would be of any help at all. I just went ahead and put it in before anyone answered so we'll see how it goes :P

Nimbus

Nimbus
  • Staff
  • ITS YA BOI

• 2,708 posts

Mackey just needs to wave his dick around a bit so he will be happy with it. :D 

Dilpickle1

Dilpickle1
  • Did I Stutter?

• 413 posts

Mackey just needs to wave his dick around a bit so he will be happy with it. :D

Murph

Murph
  • 215 posts

This is kind of based off old information (like atleast 2+ years ago) but I remember someone tested it and it wasn't worth it. I don't think your 980 is going to get bogged down by any PhysX tasks.

Special Ed

Special Ed

• Retired
  • Overworked & Underpayed

• 1,127 posts

The game has to support Physx for you to benefit from a dedicated card. There are only a few out there if you don't play any of those games you will not see any improvement. Here is a link to supported games.

http://www.geforce.c...ogy/physx/games

three beers

three beers

• Carlitos way

• 214 posts

Last summer after getting my 980 ti I tried using the 980 4gb for dedicated physxs but could not make it work. maybe nvidia figured this would keep some customers from going SLI hurting sales of newer graphics cards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users