Photo

Feed the beast

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,662 posts

So since our vanilla server isnt getting much pop and I've been getting back into FTB lately was wondering if anyone else would be interested in joining me in playing FTB or if we could maybe get a FTB server hosted by GSN (Which would be awesome). 

If GSN did make an FTB server anyone got any ideas for a good modpack we could use? or suggestions? Was even thinking some of us could make our own custom tekkit mod pack which we'd totally needs suggestions for ;) if that was something people were interested in.

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

I'm down to get this set up (either FTB or Tekkit), as long as we have people who are interested, and we have the resources available to do something like this (Paronity & BadBadRobot). I know FTB takes up significantly more resources than Vanilla, so we'd have to make sure that the box we have it on can handle the extra load, as I'm not 100% sure what the specs are for it. We would absolutely need to have the interest in it to consider though, because it does take some resources and time to get it up and running.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

When we have a game, like Ark, which has pretty much taken the audience of Minecraft, why start up a server that we have put up and taken down like 4 times? 

We are back down to a single dedicated server, doesn't really seem smart to take funds and server resources and dump them back into a flavor of the week game. You guys have a quality Ark server going right now, no need to spread yourself thin. 

Kherune

Kherune

• 1,662 posts

I, Personally, do not play on the ark server anymore simply because it got boring as PvE. Once you get a basic hut there isnt much left to do progression wise. Atleast with FTB should we have the space even if only a few people wanted to play it costs us no more to have it up. There is lots of progression to do through the various large mods like Botania, thaumcraft, AE2, buildcraft and more. 

I was already looking into a few other FTB servers that are around I was curious though if anyone else either A.) wanted to join me or B.) if it was possible we could get a GSN sponsored one. 

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I, Personally, do not play on the ark server anymore simply because it got boring as PvE. Once you get a basic hut there isnt much left to do progression wise. Atleast with FTB should we have the space even if only a few people wanted to play it costs us no more to have it up. There is lots of progression to do through the various large mods like Botania, thaumcraft, AE2, buildcraft and more. 

My question then is if there is so much more to do in Minecraft because of more content and things to do, why hasn't the server stayed popular and populated enough for us to consider leaving it up? 

This is just my opinion, and not a decision of a staff member, but it just seems like a waste to deal with Minecraft for the 4th or 5th time. People suddenly get back into it, server stays populated for a month, and then it dies and stays empty for weeks and months. 

Minecraft takes a shit ton of server resources, and if we want to consider different Arma 3 servers down the line, then dedicating that big of a chunk to a game's hype that will be dead in a month or two doesn't make much sense. And putting a bunch of work into a server only to have it up for a few months as a 'in the meantime' is a waste too. 

Kherune

Kherune

• 1,662 posts

My question then is if there is so much more to do in Minecraft because of more content and things to do, why hasn't the server stayed popular and populated enough for us to consider leaving it up? 

This is just my opinion, and not a decision of a staff member, but it just seems like a waste to deal with Minecraft for the 4th or 5th time. People suddenly get back into it, server stays populated for a month, and then it dies and stays empty for weeks and months. 

Minecraft takes a shit ton of server resources, and if we want to consider different Arma 3 servers down the line, then dedicating that big of a chunk to a game's hype that will be dead in a month or two doesn't make much sense. And putting a bunch of work into a server only to have it up for a few months as a 'in the meantime' is a waste too. 

Because like any other game that is not 100% influenced by players and their play styles like Altis was you will eventually hit a wall. Almost all games hit a wall in terms of progression. Even if only a few people want to play we WANT to play with other GSN members on a server with our name so we know the server is run right, nothing is stuck behind a paywall and we can all enjoy playing a game we enjoy together. If someone is willing to take the couple hours to put the server up is it a problem? Even if it's taken down later down the line when resources may be needed - if it's the game people want to play, its what they want to play. A bunch of people wanted to play battlefield after the LAN party, so GSN kept the server so we could all play on a good server.

What is the difference here?

The other thing that always severely limited GSN's Minecraft servers in general was they were always locked and whitelisting only. So even when we had all the Altis Kiddies, they were never allowed to play on our minecraft server so it never got the chance for new people to join and KEEP it populated. With the changes that have happened in GSN in terms of our average user base, there is no need for whitelisting because things are so much calmer now. There is no need to restrict the server and it can be freely joined by anyone that wants to play without having to go through red tape to get whitelisted. It would be as simple as jumping in and go.

Sadistikitty

Sadistikitty
  • Burritos!

• 70 posts

I play Minecraft all the time.  You may not see me on very often when you check because I tend to play at weird times.  I have another Minecraft server I frequent as well and it stays slightly busier because there are more hardcore Minecrackers there. The issue with Minecraft is people here tend to progress too quickly and therefore get bored to fast.  One way to help this is IF a ftb Minecraft server does get setup, a mod that helps pace things quite nicely is Iguana Tweaks.  This prevents normal tools from being used to mine resources, which means that since the game is based on building things with those resources, it paces the game out better.  Players must level up their tools in order to pick up the better ores and such.  It's also not too slow going to drive people away.  Just an idea if things are considered again.

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

The other thing that always severely limited GSN's Minecraft servers in general was they were always locked and whitelisting only. So even when we had all the Altis Kiddies, they were never allowed to play on our minecraft server so it never got the chance for new people to join and KEEP it populated. With the changes that have happened in GSN in terms of our average user base, there is no need for whitelisting because things are so much calmer now. There is no need to restrict the server and it can be freely joined by anyone that wants to play without having to go through red tape to get whitelisted. It would be as simple as jumping in and go.

You want the whitelisting. It sucks, I know, but MC and other build open world games can attract unsavory people. 

I dont see the harm and modding what we have up. It would be no different than the GSN Space Engineers server I have been whoring myself out on....  I CANT STOP!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Because like any other game that is not 100% influenced by players and their play styles like Altis was you will eventually hit a wall. Almost all games hit a wall in terms of progression. Even if only a few people want to play we WANT to play with other GSN members on a server with our name so we know the server is run right, nothing is stuck behind a paywall and we can all enjoy playing a game we enjoy together. If someone is willing to take the couple hours to put the server up is it a problem? Even if it's taken down later down the line when resources may be needed - if it's the game people want to play, its what they want to play. A bunch of people wanted to play battlefield after the LAN party, so GSN kept the server so we could all play on a good server.

What is the difference here?

The difference is we have ten times the amount of members that have interest in battlefield, where as the interest for minecraft is much smaller. In addition, the BF4 server is gone already even with how many people we have that still play it. 

Is there a problem taking unused server resources and putting up a game for people to play? No. But who wants to start building in a server that has a very big chance of coming down? I know if it was me, I wouldn't be spending time in a server grinding if there wasn't a plan to keep it up because of the chance of it being removed to make room for other games. And again, as as admin, I wouldn't spend the 3 hours working on a server to get it running if it wasn't going to stay up. Now, if I had oodles of free time on my hands, sure maybe i'd fuck around with it because I'm bored. But time is precious, and it simply doesn't make sense to dump time into a volatile server. 

Those are just my initial thoughts. 

Edit: I don't mean to rain on your parade, and I know that we have people that would play Minecraft if we had a server. We just been up and down with Minecraft so many times, and there have been games like it that are newer that we support. Just feels like a step backwards into a direction of a game that most of our community doesn't play. 

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,805 posts

We will support any game or game server that the community has a large interest in. Being that there are people playing in it everyday, to make paying for the server, worth it. If we do that, we also go balls deep with moderation and admin tools. So, if there is large enough community interest and the financial support behind that game server, we can do it. 

Minecraft is just one of those games that everyone goes in balls deep for 2 weeks and then it sits empty for a couple months. We have taken the server down 5 times. In fact, gurthy just brought this up again about a week ago. So, with it's reputation here at our community we are hesitant. I think we have pissed off quite a few people who lost their shit 5 times because tons of people got bored with vanilla, or even got bored with FTB. Wipe after wipe. 

Just keep that in mind. I'm not saying yes or no, we just need to see more interest. I'm just dropping some knowledge from past experiences.

Kherune

Kherune

• 1,662 posts

The difference is we have ten times the amount of members that have interest in battlefield, where as the interest for minecraft is much smaller. In addition, the BF4 server is gone already even with how many people we have that still play it.

Is there a problem taking unused server resources and putting up a game for people to play? No. But who wants to start building in a server that has a very big chance of coming down? I know if it was me, I wouldn't be spending time in a server grinding if there wasn't a plan to keep it up because of the chance of it being removed to make room for other games. And again, as as admin, I wouldn't spend the 3 hours working on a server to get it running if it wasn't going to stay up. Now, if I had oodles of free time on my hands, sure maybe i'd fuck around with it because I'm bored. But time is precious, and it simply doesn't make sense to dump time into a volatile server.

Those are just my initial thoughts.

Edit: I don't mean to rain on your parade, and I know that we have people that would play Minecraft if we had a server. We just been up and down with Minecraft so many times, and there have been games like it that are newer that we support. Just feels like a step backwards into a direction of a game that most of our community doesn't play.

No worries man i like hearing your thoughts i just wanted to gauge some interest because while its only a few people i was interested to see if anyone else would be willing to play. I would totally be down to go balls deep with @Gurthyy or whomever else to get a real server up and running and set proper so it doesnt die in 2 weeks. Ive been around for enough time to see it come up and down several times i did notice that vanilla tended to go a bit quicker, but even still i do see your point :)

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Forum Member
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

No worries man i like hearing your thoughts i just wanted to gauge some interest because while its only a few people i was interested to see if anyone else would be willing to play. I would totally be down to go balls deep with @Gurthyy or whomever else to get a real server up and running and set proper so it doesnt die in 2 weeks. Ive been around for enough time to see it come up and down several times i did notice that vanilla tended to go a bit quicker, but even still i do see your point :)

My only other suggestion is this. If you guys are passionate about this, and want some good faith on GSN's end, how about instill some in GSN first? Why don't you and Gurthyy go halfsies on your own Minecraft server, make in an 'unofficial' GSN Minecraft server, make it exactly how you want and if it picks up a bunch of traction, maybe the community can adopt it! I did the same thing with Grav. Picked up the bill for server hosting for a month or so, and then it got the attention of a few others and then we got some other willing parties to throw down some money to give it a test run. GSN then adopted the server, put it up one of our boxes and we played it for a couple months while the hype was alive. Then it died and we killed it. 

If you guys are that sure that it will work, try giving it a go on your end!

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

My only other suggestion is this. If you guys are passionate about this, and want some good faith on GSN's end, how about instill some in GSN first? Why don't you and Gurthyy go halfsies on your own Minecraft server, make in an 'unofficial' GSN Minecraft server, make it exactly how you want and if it picks up a bunch of traction, maybe the community can adopt it! I did the same thing with Grav. Picked up the bill for server hosting for a month or so, and then it got the attention of a few others and then we got some other willing parties to throw down some money to give it a test run. GSN then adopted the server, put it up one of our boxes and we played it for a couple months while the hype was alive. Then it died and we killed it. 

If you guys are that sure that it will work, try giving it a go on your end!

This is actually funny, because this idea has been tossed around before (prior to this post/the message that you were talking about above). And this is actually how the first FTB came to GSN (except that I didn't really know what I was doing so it was a pretty terribad server. lol). 

Moral of the story - I can see the hesitation from the GSN to pursue a server like this, especially with how resources are now.

But to this effect, I'd still like to know: Is there any interest for a FTB server? This will help if the idea of a unofficial gsn server gets talked about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users