Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Altis Life, RGN and GSN. What happened exactly?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

POPULAR

As many of you have fully noted and are fully aware, we have lost several admin, as well as community members and they have moved onto forming their own community, which is fully understandable. We are now more at the size that we needed to be at to keep things scaled appropriately and keep things the way we want. Close knit and family feeling. I want to game and have fun, not be stressed by getting into TS/Discord.

When we closed Altis, we KNEW there was going to be a backlash and that we would lose a lot of people. So far, no one that has left has been much of a surprise. I could have called about 95% of them. There were a few names that I was mildly disappointed in, considering what we did for them, but that is all water under the bridge now. Most that are going to leave, have left and we are starting to see the clearing in the dust. :)

Now, to the point of my post. I wanted to make it very clear what we (GSN) have done for/to Ronduth and his new community (RGN). After putting a lot of thought into it, I decided that sitting on the files was not the right thing to do. Why? Because then I'm just one of those people that frustrate me when they won't release code and want to keep it to themselves. I dedicated 1.5 years of my life making that server what it is today, and to sit on those files felt wrong. The reason I do what I do is not to make money, becomes famous, or to even be well known. I do it so that people can enjoy themselves and have a great time building something that I DID. Sitting on it doesn't allow people to be enjoying themselves, which would mean I wasted 1.5 years on something that no one will enjoy ever again. What is the point in that? So after a TON of thought and discussions with other staff members on my opinions, this is what transpired:

1.) I gave RGN full file access to use and modify the client and server files. 

2.) I gave RGN the full database so that they could do with it what they wanted.

3.) We (GSN) sold the physical server to RGN. When I say sold, I mean they paid us for this month that we just paid for and then we transferred the box to their account. This allows them to keep the same IP, and thus, the rank. 

4.) I helped them get the sever configured as well as removing anything that I automated (mostly FireDaemon since it is a paid for and licensed piece of software) and everything that was not specifically for GSN Altis. 

They paid GSN for the box, and they also paid me a onetime fee for helping them transfer and move everything over to ensure that it worked. So, in summation, their Altis Life server is live and it is our old code set. I have completely and utterly washed my hands of Altis. We no longer hold a unique version of it and thus will NEVER be tempted to do it again (at least I won't). That is another reason I made the decision I made. I didn't want the temptation of being able to try it again at ANY point in the future.  

Next, I have no personal ill will towards ANYONE that left nor should most others. I still have them on my steam friends, I still talk to them, and I will most likely still play games with them from time to time. I am a member of their forums as well so I can browse and see what's going on (I have memberships to like 30 communities forums because I like to stay in touch with other communities and their admins, it’s what allows me to be well connected and get special things from time to time like our custom memory allocator). I expect GSN members to treat them as if they are "just another community". It doesn't matter that they came from our ranks and we trained them. They are still our friends and them starting their own community is not reason enough to change that. I wish them the best on their endeavor. I will answer questions that they have and be glad to point them in the right direction, just like I do with every other contact, community, and friend. I will pay-it-forward with them, just like I do everyone else. 

Lastly, I will NOT be debugging for them, developing for them, and they will not get ANY of our admin systems that made it easier for us to manage the game. They can have ARMACon, just like everyone else; when it is released, but they will not have the ArmaManager that we had. It's just too much work to transfer the info and code to work on their site. Additionally, we have pretty much already given them what they needed on a golden platter. They are going to have to figure out server administration on their own. 

With all that being said, I wanted you guys to know EXACTLY what happened and where we all stand. There is no bad blood between any of them and GSN directly (there are a couple people that are a little hurt/discouraged, but that is to be expected). I do not want to see them talked about negatively in any way. There is no reason for it and we are better than that. We will be moving on to bigger and better things and greener pastures are coming soon. 

I am taking a break from coding ANYTHING for ARMA for at least two weeks. I want to see what it's like to not have to stress over something GSN related. :)

Any questions or comments, just let me know. I was LARGELY responsible for these decisions, no matter what @BadBadRobot tries to take responsibility for. :D

TLDR: Nope  :D

Edited by Paronity, October 27, 2015.
Made the post public. Want everyone to know what happened. Not just members.

Darkcobra337

Darkcobra337
  • 263 posts

I agree with this because think of Sa-matra and his no releasing ass.

+1 paronigod

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
I'm really happy to see that the leadership feels this way and the relationships are still solid. I just want everyone to be friends and still get along. I don't want to have to choose between who I'm friends with, so to say the least this is a huge relief!

Thanks for letting us lowly forum lurkers know what's up! :D

Modoc

Modoc
  • Get off my lawn!!!

• 1,113 posts

I'm glad we were able to do that for them. Those of us that worked on our Altis are friends with most that went over there. It will be interesting to see what they make of it, and I wish them the best in their endeavors. They may even see me running around on their island once in a while.  :)

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

@Paronity

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your time, blood, sweat, and tears. I know this server was a passion for you, and when I began working with on features, I could truly understand the depth to the project at hand. You are a cornerstone of this community and I would safely assume that you deserve that two week break, Id even recommend a 1 or 2 month break. As for the actions taken above, it is the RIGHT thing to do. You created this baby, tweaked it, fixed it, added to it, and I would agree that letting it out in the world to mutate and grow organically is your style. You made the right choice. 

In Paronity we trust,

-Hacksaw

bfRIENDLY

bfRIENDLY

• Forum Member
  • Be Friendly or Die

• 220 posts

You have shown time and time again what an asset you are to the GSN community in a whole but this just puts your contribution over the top. For someone to put that much time and effort into something as great as what you developed and to be able to "freely" give it away shows what a truly humble person you are. I give you huge "props" for what you have done as I would never be able to do the same in your shoes.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,743 posts

100% agree with the process behind the decision. Just because the server had run it's course within this community, doesn't mean your thousands of hours of work should go for nothing. Best of luck to the guys and gals over at RGN. Glad the staff and admins of both of our communities care enough about each other to show the respect both sides deserve.

In ParoniGod We Trust. 

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Thanks for all your hard work P-man. I love the direction we went in with this. I'm confident we can be two communities side by side, and one day have some friendly-fun rivalry rocket league matches :)

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts

good work and well done! quite a good change and direction in my eyes (: and enjoy the no coding thing ;P youll enjoy it

Thunder

Thunder
  • Staff
  • still watching you ...

• 7,662 posts

Aslong they are not offending us , I´m fine.

Aslong we are not offending them , I´m fine.

Keep it calm...

MRVANSMAN

MRVANSMAN
  • Aye lmao

• 382 posts

Paronigod's hard work should never go under appreciated, thank you Paronity. Respect the decision without a doubt, your work should be used to the fullest extent  :)

Assassin

Assassin
  • Forum Member
  • 489 posts
Thank you guys for the hard work. I'm glad you were able to make the best of a bad situation. I'm a little sad I never really mingled with any of the higher ups here. I think the most I did was get blowed up by @BadBadRobot in Altis and @Paronity figured out and fixed why TeamSpeak kept saying I was from France.

@Nackers it would be awesome to see some fun filled rivalry matches in the future between the two communities. I hope to see it someday.

LoneWolf

LoneWolf

• Forum Member
  • 1,237 posts

I too am going to remain friends with many RGN Forum Members to the Founders, why? Because a year and a half of gaming with one another doesn't go away because gaming TAGS or the gaming mode changes. There were a group of us that came up from the bottom to the top of leading the Police Force, admining and many other things. I have friends that backed me up when I needed it, put me in my place at times and I whole heatedly know I grew as a gamer through it all.

We went to war together and just because our tags are different, doesn't for a second mean that a coalition type relationship cannot and won't continue. If people feel the need to lash out against each other cause of the gaming tag we wear or the game mode we play, a fundamental flaw exists and I don't want to associated with those people, period. After war is over, a U.S. Soldier and a British Soldier may go home to their respective countries but that doesn't end the personal relationship.

I made my intentions clear, that I am staying GSN, I made that bed over a year ago and sleep comfortably in it. Since reaching out to RGN friends, I have been with nothing but respect because they know where I and I know where they stand. If everyone kept it that way and don't get into the mud, I believe everyone comes out better and stronger for it.

Ghost

Ghost
  • Forum Member
  • Im the REAL GHOST!

• 651 posts

I here by challenge GSN to A Duel.. of rocket league

Car to Car.!

ohh wait nimbus is excluded from this duel hes to good whit flying.

thnx all :D

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

@Ghost it's okay, we have still have @SaltySam and @MrFortyTwo ;)

Ghost

Ghost
  • Forum Member
  • Im the REAL GHOST!

• 651 posts

@Ghost it's okay, we have still have @SaltySam and @MrFortyTwo ;)

fuck forgot about those 2 

Iceman

Iceman

• Retired
  • Ice Cream Anyone?

• 2,522 posts

Well done @Paronity! :thumbsup:  As mentioned some of the people that left, kind of surprised me. Oh well. Time to look forward and continue doing what makes GSN a great community to belong to. :yes:

Kashdeya

Kashdeya
  • Inactive
  • Pink Fluffy Unicorns Dancing On Rainbows!

• 334 posts

I know I have not been seen around much in the last year but i do try to keep up with the forums. and I must say @Paronity, @BadBadRobot and the rest of the team has done a great job at handling this, Just like they have done in the past since I have been around.

It is good to see the community/family still coming first. That is one of the things that I and others here love about this place.

Keep it up guys and I for one can not wait to see what is next in line for GSN.

Angaar

Angaar

• Forum Member
  • 122 posts

@Paronity so how long till we can expect patch 3.0? <3

All things aside, GSN was a great home to be and im glad that RGN was able to pick up when it all left off and keep the family together at least a little bit [The Altis family that is] even if it means we are still stuck with Dafack :P

03Termi

03Termi

• Retired
  • 1,200 posts
@Paronity couldn't have said it any better. A special thanks to all of those who helped GSN over the past year and a half!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users