Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

The GSN Altis Life server is being closed, permanently.

gsn gaming altis life shutting down

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
222 replies to this topic

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,769 posts

POPULAR

I know this happened suddenly, and without warning. Your gut reaction might be anger and that you hate my guts right now, but please read first. There is no TL;DR.

Last week I had someone ask me during an interview at the 5 year anniversary LAN party if this is how I pictured GSN Gaming would be after 5 years. I answered “Yes” out loud, but part of me on the inside said No. Why? Altis Life.

To better explain what I mean, I will first tell you guys what I envisioned for GSN Gaming 5 years ago during it’s inception. I pictured GSN Gaming being a small, tight knit community that logged on and gamed with people all over the world, to play games and have fun, and leave behind the stresses of life for a short time. A place we could truly play games and have fun. No drama, no bullshit. And if there was drama and bullshit, it was removed...immediately. We have enough drama in our own lives. We don’t need it in our video games. I wanted quality members, over quantity. I wanted mature, respectful and team oriented people to play together with one goal: FUN. And it was this way for 4 years. I can’t say that Is the case today. Why?

Well, Altis Life. Hell, I was the first guy to play it. I streamed it, got our community hooked and before you knew it, we had our own damn server. So, I’m to blame. Altis Life brought a lot of life/activity to our forums, teamspeak, etc. In fact we grew, fast. Really fast. Too fast. At times, we didn’t know who we were recruiting into our community. We couldn’t keep up, and some bad apples got through the cracks. However, we got some really amazing members who came for altis life, found that they really loved the community (the people) and branched out to other games and became GSN. It was awesome. However, with all the good things Altis brought, it also brought bad things.

Altis Life has brought an un-godly amount of drama, stress, admin work, ddos attacks and the most immature player base I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seen such a game/server affect my community so much. (Once upon a time we had dayz. It started heading in this direction and we axed it before it got this bad) Altis would turn GSN members on other GSN members so quickly. I now see why no other Altis community survives for more than 6 months before it dies. We’ve had GSN admins leave, step down or straight up vanish because “they just can’t take it anymore, It was too much work, too much stress.” Gaming was supposed to be fun. Seeing a game affect my community like this, how can I actively support it? Should I do it because “Well hey it’s popular and it brings tons of people”, but at what cost to the community I’ve created? Would GSN Gaming die if Altis stayed around? No, I think it would rot from the inside out.

Again, my goal for GSN was a mature, team oriented bundle of gamers that could login every day, play games and have fun, with no bullshit, no drama. We shouldn’t be afraid to log on to their own voice server because of the type of people that are in it. Does that sound like GSN today? No, our website/teamspeak/servers, etc have been taken over run by drama, stress, un-happy admins, ddos attacks, and a super immature player base. I won’t keep taking my community in this direction. This has been wearing on me for 6 months. I did not make this decision quickly, or rashly.

So, I’m announcing that the Altis Life server is being shut down, permanently. I know it happened suddenly, but if we set a date, the server would become vdm/rule breaking/comp request/ heaven. In a couple of days the Altis Life subforum will be locked and archived. In an effort to go back to our core values we have also brought back #rigitity with our members, invite only recruitment, and soon a (18+), GSN member only + maure members only (invite only) voice server. We want to see our voice server packed with GSN members, and mature community members that are actually interested in GSN, and not squatting in our server for a free voice channel. (More on that soon)

That being said, I want to thank everyone that supported and helped this server grow in the last year and a half. Seriously, so many people stepped up to the plate and put a lot of work into this server to help make it better. It made me PROUD. REALLY PROUD. (And this is part of the reason this is so hard to do).

I hope that the GSN members who did come here for Altis Life stick around with our community after this, but I would understand if you didn’t. In fact, I wouldn’t even blame you if you hated my guts. I know I’m taking away something that some of you guys love and put so much time into. Please don’t take this personally. Don’t think I don’t value the hard work you guys did. I hope you guys can see why I made this decision, and it wasn’t just a “because I feel like it”. If you are going to leave, please know that no one here will hold it against you.

So...what now? We will continue to play games that we love together and have fun. Maybe with 99% less drama, stress, ddos attacks, and 100% more FUN. We will be able to do so in an (18+) GSN Member only + mature player only (by invite) voice server that we can feel comfortable joining. Soon our community will find and gravitate towards a new game that everyone will love. And we will continue to bring GSN back to it’s core value’s I mentioned above. I promise, when we get there, those who stayed will love it.

If you have any questions or you just want to call me a fucking asshole, feel free to post it below.

Note: If you’ve made a donation to the Altis Life specifically in the last month, I will be happy to refund your donations. Just contact me via PM.

Note 2: If anyone has real interest in taking ownership of our server (under a different name), database, and mission file that they should PM @Paronity.

Nimbus

Nimbus
  • Staff
  • ITS YA BOI

• 2,708 posts

Behind you 100% in whatever you do brother. We can always move to bigger and better things and I hope the community understands that. 

John Snow

John Snow

• Forum Member
  • I know! I know! I know nothing

• 381 posts

Came for Altis Life, Plan on staying, completely support and respect your decision. On to bigger and better games......My 2 cents

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Behind you 100% in whatever you do brother. We can always move to bigger and better things and I hope the community understands that. 

With this in mind, this is not a topic to discuss or argue over. This IS happening and that is the end of it. Don't make us close the thread because we can't handle getting a little bit of upsetting news. Be grown up about it and move forward. If that is not with GSN, then I hope you find a place that you can call home soon. 

Altis Life has been an amazing ride, and I am glad that we had it while we did. We were known for it and that was awesome. Let's move on to Exile or Wasteland Esserker in the next couple weeks and run those servers as great as we ran Altis. 

That is what we do. We run great servers and play with our friends. 

IF anyone wants EVERYTHING to start their own community, I will give you the mission file, server files, and database dump for you to be able to do so. Just reach out to me via PM.

Rage

Rage
  • Forum Member
  • It g ma

• 412 posts

Pretty sad the altis life server had to be put down  :(

But if it's for the best it's for the best.

One question tho:

So...what now? We will continue to play games that we love together and have fun. Maybe with 99% less drama, stress, ddos attacks, and 100% more FUN. We will be able to do so in an (18+) GSN Member only + mature player only (by invite) voice server that we can feel comfortable joining. Soon our community will find and gravitate towards a new game that everyone will love. And we will continue to bring GSN back to it’s core value’s I mentioned above. I promise, when we get there, those who stayed will love it.

Does this mean the GSN ts3 will be a whitelist only teamspeak?

And also what will happen to all the current non GSN members that frequented the forums?

Valshe

Valshe
  • Forum Member
  • Meow

• 183 posts

This must have been a tough decision for you.  I hope you weren't dealing with all of that pressure alone D:
Sure it's going to be disappointing for some, but you're right in how it's supposed to be a fun thing for people. It's sad it came to this point, but many amazing memories were made.

Jhordan

Jhordan
  • TheOneAndOnly

• 222 posts

Sad this happened I understand fully, I loved playing everyday, but the amount of shit every was a little painful to see how it happened, But again fully understand :D found gsn on the altis server and plan to stay for a very very long time! 

MrCheezle

MrCheezle

• Forum Member
  • Former NPFGSN Member

• 694 posts

I'm with you man, I think you did the right thing.  AL was the source of some pretty heated arguments and headache.

Camco

Camco

• Forum Member
  • Turbo Diesel

• 226 posts

I also came here because of Altis, and although, I let it get the better of me a few times, but this community is where it is at. Between the staff and fellow community members, you honestly couldn't ask for a better place to be. 

Altis did bring in A LOT of drama, and as of recently, groups would try to target people to get them removed, and that was just too much.  I am actually glad to see Altis go, and watch the community take it's true form back. 

Might Be Ronny

Might Be Ronny
  • Forum Member
  • Inactive

• 712 posts
Fucking asshole.

In all seriousness, it was fun while it lasted. I don't see myself staying for much longer, since GSN is much more centered for 18+ players.

Later nerds.

DiGi

DiGi
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

@Paronity - I sent you a PM. I have a Dual CPU Intel Xeon server ready to go. 

Al Hoff

Al Hoff

• Forum Member
  • You ain't got no legs Lieutenant Dan!

• 1,771 posts

Wow. Why don't I hate you @BadBadRobot? Because you're right, your post is right. Altis Life is stressful to admin. Even though I dedicated more or less the 16 months here to the GPD and countless hours managing it I'm not even mad. I'm glad. :) Thank you and I don't hate you. I'm here in a great community with awesome people-- its really all I ever wanted.

Eagles

Eagles
  • Forum Member
  • The Freedom Eagle

• 1,330 posts

I'm gonna be honest. I hate this decision, it's the biggest reason I am even apart of GSN now as it is. I've put countless hours into the server and to see it all vanish like this frustrates me. But I do respect this decision. You had a vision for this community and this game made it into something you didn't like, so you axed it. Just as you said you did with DayZ. I do not plan on leaving just for the fact that I've made countless friends here and can't imagine starting over in a new community. As I said I hate the decision but I do respect it because you wanted to stick to the values that you based this community off of when you first created it.

Dominic

Dominic
  • Forum Member
  • 863 posts

It's your server.  You can do what you want with it.  Sucks that I just started to get back into Altis Life, and shutting down the server was what you decided to go with instead of taking other measures like whitelisting for trusted members.

Marsendji

Marsendji
  • Forum Member
  • Dick

• 32 posts

I respect it all robot I respect all of it 

Trucker Bill

Trucker Bill
  • Forum Member
  • 200 posts

As someone who was just recently perma-banned from this Altis Life server, I can see how a game like this can change someone as it clearly did to me. It's a shame to see it go, as it's where I met most of the people I'm friends with in the GSN community. But, I definitely agree and respect your decision @BadBadRobot, unfortunately games like this get the better of people, and it becomes more of competition to win rather than anyone enjoying/having fun while playing. 

Agony

Agony

• Forum Member
  • Soon ™

• 377 posts

I am pretty sad honestly, this was the best Altis server around, with not many games being alive currently worth sinking a high amount of time into it's disappointing for sure. All the time putting in effort to advance for it to basically halt, not even with a really happy ending.

But you will do what you feel will continue to drive things in the direction you see fit.

I didn't see this happening, at least not until a new game came out that we'd all or mostly all be happy playing together that could fit everyone

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

Another era of GSN has come and gone. Now we will look forward to our next big thing!

Thanks for the wonderful times everyone

Koda

Koda

• Forum Member
  • Ready for some science?

• 2,136 posts

Very well said @BadBadRobot, I am with this community for the long haul. Games come and go but its the people who really make a difference. I am definitely looking forward to kicking your butt in whatever future games we all play together ;)

Tristan

Tristan
  • Forum Member
  • Papi's Son

• 163 posts

:( Why do you do dis!!!!! :confused: Also a totally agree man it is stressful. But as M2 said a new era is soon to be risen 

Edited by Tristan, October 20, 2015.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users