Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

[Review] Space Engineers by The Rocket Surgeons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gvstaylor

gvstaylor
  • Forum Member
  • 15 posts

Just Really Quickly, We have decided to begin writing reviews for the lovely members of GSN so we do not need to scour the Steam Store page for interesting games to play! So we, The Rocket Surgeons, will be posting new posts as we play new games, so enjoy!

Space Engineers

http://store.steampowered.com/app/244850/
Price:  $24.99,  $74.99 for 4 pack
Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction and maintenance of space works. Players build space ships and space stations of various sizes and utilization (civil and military), pilot ships and perform asteroid mining.”

Steam User reviews: Very Positive - 93% of the 40,904 user reviews for this game are positive.

Release Date: Oct 23, 2013

Play Date: 10/11/2015
Players: @Gvstaylor, @Valshe, @Quiksilver, @Jhordan

Overall Summary:

(Average of the reviewers)

Graphics:  5/10  Stability:  6/10  Gameplay:  6.6 /10  Fun:  4.6 / 10  Overall: 5/10

Taylor:  

On our quest to find enjoyable Cooperative and multiplayer games, We found ourselves pulled into “Space Engineers’” gravity. Acquiring the 4 pack, we set off into the vastness of what is space. Initially, we Discovered tutorials that were unfamiliar to people that have even played the game before. We all independently got ahold of the basics. The tutorials were confusing at times, mashing several buttons to finally find our grinders (The Tool. Not the tinder like app for Men seeking Men.) We thought we had enough astronaut training to set off and ready to colonize a poor unsuspecting asteroid, or so we thought.

Upon entering a private server, the three of us managed to get into said sever with everything set to the easiest settings, and the easiest map. We all located the “Jet Pack” option and screwed with that until we were bored. We were met by a huge, pre-made spacecraft which we all quickly jumped into and began to explore. The ship was Large, red, and resembled a penis, No really, it kinda did. A terminal was discovered to set your suit color, which my player quickly turned to a pimpin’ bright orange, and an Assault Rifle was located in some random storage container in this ship. Our happiness was quickly destroyed when no ammo was anywhere to be found in the vastness of space. At this point, Valshe had lost her free will and became a Moon for our poor asteroid, endlessly spinning around. I had discovered the terminal to pilot said ship and proceeded to crash the spaceship into the asteroid at full speed attempting to rescue her, As the ship proceeded to explode, and our oxygen supply dwindled down with our will of finding an enjoyable game. We slowly got more and more lost in the creation tab and all rage quit back to more tutorials.

For all the TL;DR, To Sum this game up, It is, infact a HUGE learning curve. The Tutorials are a must, If you have an attention span of a rat, which I do, I would not recommend this game! The game’s graphics are on point, However the gameplay is lacking. It is an extremely complicated minecraft. This game will suck you in like a black hole for time to create a cheese sandwich. For a 25 dollar game, It’s not bad. But I will not be playing it again (Steam Refund request sent).

Valshe:  

[Intro]

On a dark and stormy night, There were three.   Three bored gamers in the late hours of the night, with naught to do but sit amongst trolls in the Teamspeak.  The population of trolls had increased this evening, for at this time the GSN LAN party was underway; but as the trolls came and went, their boredom did not.  Through the grumbling, one of the more intelligent gamers spoke up after having just spent an hour unsuccessfully deciding on a game, gifts were received all around: Space Engineers.

After the download which seemed to take ages for the impatient gamer (reality was; only 10 minutes...) we loaded up a multiplayer game which was probably the worst possible decision we could have made.  Some of us were smart, and at least attempted the tutorial.  Others… not so much.  With deep regrets we leapt into zero gravity, mashing buttons in a poor attempt to not suffocate,  meanwhile some nefarious spawn turning on and off the oxygen, and of course a certain individual stopping to make themselves purple…

Ahem, moving on.  

The ship we loaded in on was large and not easy to navigate.  I undoubtedly had no idea what the hell I was doing, Quik warmed up to the game easily (and doesn’t want to give it up) and the others, of course off dicking around somewhere.  It was entertaining, floating down the halls, spawning/building ships,  using my drill on the main mothership because I was trapped like an idiot and couldn’t navigate my way through my own backyard, ripping the walls apart and projecting myself into orbit.  
Literal orbit.  I began circling the mothership.  Fast.   I attempted to control my rotation but smashed into a what I believed to be a meteor, then spun off to the sun.  rescue was inevitable.

All and all, this isn’t a game to play if you don’t have the time to sit in the tutorial for hours to learn the controls step by step.
Had I a larger attention span and time, It would have been fantastic entertainment for hours.
Unfortunately, that’s not me.
I highly recommend this game to those those who like deeply immersive mechanics  (It made me think of some of the larger engineering minecraft mods) and long, extensive, gameplay.

Jhordan:

Ah Space the final frontier, in a galaxy far far away in the depths of space one dark spacy evening three gamers in space wear rolled up in the space club and needed help on an adventure. I stood up and took hold of this dangerous and treacherous journey into the dark cold depths of space. I told them “I’ve been around the block a few times and maybe crashed some space cars into space rocks, but that doesn't matter” I said. I told them what they shouldn't do and that was not to be in space… Because space is a scary fucking place. So we settled on a nice planet and were miscreated, also because zombies are less scarier than space.

Plus the cake was a lie!

Overall Summary:

(Average of the reviewers)

Graphics:  5/10  Stability:  6/10  Gameplay:  6.6 /10  Fun:  4.6 / 10  Overall: 5/10

Edited by gvstaylor, October 12, 2015.

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • 607 posts
You forgot.

Creating gravity cannons to hurtle massive projectiles (capable of crushing the starter space ship in one shot) at insane speeds - 20/10

JollyGG

JollyGG

• 1,576 posts

I don't think it's a bad game..prefer playing with others. Was fun playing with @Paronity and @emttim when the GSN server was up. Then @Bill had to  come in and accidentally crater his ship...into the emttim's xD

Valshe

Valshe
  • Forum Member
  • Meow

• 183 posts

Sounds just like Bill :D

gvstaylor

gvstaylor
  • Forum Member
  • 15 posts
This game has potential, but you need to commit to learn, and that's something I don't wanna do. I should be able to hop on and just play.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users