Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

NOMS' BATTLESTATION

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

noms

noms
  • Forum Member
  • 54 posts

STEP BACK FOLKS

It's time for a real battlestation..

Just kidding, this is my modest rig until I move next month. (Lack of space has forced me down to two monitors) 

Le Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K OC'd @ 4 GHz (Haswell) 

RAM: 32GB DDR3

Motherboard: Z98-PRO 

GRAPHICS: 2x (Crossfire) Tri-X R9 290 OC'd (8GB GDDR5)

Storage: 256 GB SSD (Kingston)

Storage 2: 2TB HDD (Seagate)

Optical: Lolno

Audio: Motherboard HD

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow (Mechanical) 

Mouse: Razer Deathadder (I buy Razer and Razer accessories)

Joystick: Cyborg X52

Controller: Classic XBOX 360 (Black)

Headset: Corsair Vengeance 1500 (Digital 7.1 Surround Sound (mmmhhhh)

Graphics Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen

Tea Mug: "You're having a Giraffe" (geddit?)

I use this set up for work and pleasure - I'm an indie game dev and freelance web designer, so the power is for game dev, the tablet is for graphics design and I -USUALLY- run 3 24" monitors. Apologies for potato picture - my phone doesn't do well in low-light areas. (THANK YOU HTC)

861d626527.jpg

John Snow

John Snow

• Forum Member
  • I know! I know! I know nothing

• 381 posts
Needs more fish and chips

noms

noms
  • Forum Member
  • 54 posts

Needs more fish and chips

Can't eat fish 'n chips at the computer bro, wayyyyy too much grease. 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts

Thanks for posting the showcase, Noms! Looks good, do you have any heat issues having those 2 290s? Can't tell what case you're using since you didn't list it in the specs :ninja:

CapN

CapN

• Retired
  • Shipshape and Shipfaced!

• 2,433 posts
Awesome set up Noms!

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

My One didn't mind low light photos :)

Sweet rig. Is that the highest you could get the 4770, or that just where you decided to stop? 

noms

noms
  • Forum Member
  • 54 posts

Thanks for posting the showcase, Noms! Looks good, do you have any heat issues having those 2 290s? Can't tell what case you're using since you didn't list it in the specs  :ninja:

It's a coolermaster tower, I can't remember the exact model, but the case has like 6 fans and I switched out the stock fans. The cards usually idle between 35-40 and when I'm pushing them they can get up to 65-70 at peak. 

My real concern is that my motherboard seems to think it's 114 Celsius which is amusing, because it's not. Broken sensor I guess. 

My One didn't mind low light photos :)

Sweet rig. Is that the highest you could get the 4770, or that just where you decided to stop? 

I just haven't really had a reason to upgrade it again any time recently. I'm open for suggestions though.

Edited by noms, September 30, 2015.

Al Hoff

Al Hoff

• Forum Member
  • You ain't got no legs Lieutenant Dan!

• 1,771 posts

Small little cozy area, have you ever though about getting a nice wide and depth-y desk? Good setup-- your monitors don't necessarily fit :)

noms

noms
  • Forum Member
  • 54 posts

Small little cozy area, have you ever though about getting a nice wide and depth-y desk? Good setup-- your monitors don't necessarily fit :)

Ya, like I said my current situation means I have a lot less space than I want... my desk is already blocking a door as it is. I'll be moving in a month or two to a 2 bedroom apartment which I intend on turning the second bedroom into my personal office/play room so I'll be custom building a desk. 

Gain_Snip3

Gain_Snip3
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

I thought your title said "MOM'S BATTLESTATION", and I was like... Wow, you have an awesome Mom...

Jokes aside, awesome rig! A little overkill on the RAM though :P

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

I thought your title said "MOM'S BATTLESTATION", and I was like... Wow, you have an awesome Mom...

Jokes aside, awesome rig! A little overkill on the RAM though :P

When you do what @noms and I do for living (or even recreational - programming in various languages) it's quite simple to use that amount of RAM. Especially if you are testing multiple OS'es in vitualbox (which is what I do a ton of). I have run out of RAM several times with 16GB. I wish I went for the 32. In my opinion, the average gamer should have 16 MINIMUM nowadays. It's not that expensive, and you can turn of your pagefile and just use 100% RAM and stop thrashing your hard drive for RAM calls that are in page file (which is likely and SSD). 

$.02 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users