Another Ark Suggestions Post

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Agony

Agony

• Forum Member
  • Soon ™

• 377 posts

Hello all, as we've seen recently the difficulty on ark was raised slightly. Some have been really enjoying it, some have been having a little bit of trouble adjusting but that's normal for new players.

So i'm here with another post for future or "food for thought" to think about with some nice alternatives all around.

How the server is now to my knowledge (please correct me if i'm wrong)

• Normal Experiance
  • Normal Gathering
  • Normal Level Cap (80)
  • Difficulty .75 (low 90s dinosaurs)
  • Normal Farming
  • 3x Tame
  • No Mods

My suggestions that I hope at least get discussed.

• Keep normal Experiance
  • Change Gathering to maybe 2x?
  • "Could" change level cap to maybe 100? Gives more skill points to assist those having difficulties
  • Difficulty up to 1 (which would be 4 server side which is up to level 150s on all official servers)
  • 2x Farming to assist in some of the taming. More crops = more kibble and everyone says they don't like taking time to tame so this should assist.
  • Keep tame at 3x unless you think it should be higher.
  • Add 2 mods or just the main 1 which is Aku Shima.  This mod adds building tiers such as glass/reinforced wood and things like Armour cabinets, weapon lockers, Portable Fridge, Kibble-O-Matic, Placing crop plots on roofs (green houses), Improved compost bins, electric furnaces etc. Find the link Here
  • More Dinosaur colors mod, more uniquely interesting colored dinos. Link found Here

There seems to be a lot of people that agree with me and a few that don't. So i'm interested to see what people think.

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

Definitly something thats worth thinking about, I will discuss these changes with @Gurthyy and we shall see what is do-able. Dunno if we will be adding mods but perhaps its something thats worth talking about.

Would love any other imput that others have as well about what they would like.

Agony

Agony

• Forum Member
  • Soon ™

• 377 posts

Definitly something thats worth thinking about, I will discuss these changes with @Gurthyy and we shall see what is do-able. Dunno if we will be adding mods but perhaps its something thats worth talking about.

Would love any other imput that others have as well about what they would like.

A little explanation about them while I have you here.

The mod will auto-download when joining the server the first time kinda like the mission file in arma 3, takes about 1-2 minutes and that's it.

After that its all the new content that's listed on the mod page including the new building tiers and machines etc.

Same with the dino colors 

Valshe

Valshe
  • Forum Member
  • Meow

• 183 posts

This is something Setha, Agony, and I have been discussing for a while. We've been attempting  to look at all of the possibilities and coming up with ideas with the goal of it being an enjoyable experience for all.  As it's been said, not everyone has a lot of time to put into taming and it has been difficult for some.  I've put a lot of consideration into this and am  hoping we can help provide this as a possible solution. I know it's impossible to make everyone happy but hopefully this is regarded as a possibility.

S3tha

S3tha
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Im all on board of these changes. Lately like agony said some new people is having problems with the high level dinos and the ones that are lot more experience this games wants the difficult higher(with the official servers). So with these changes it will help both side of this predicament. With the experience people getting the higher dinos and the new people getting the help with more materials and maybe faster leveling (if they add 1.5 or 2 xp bonus).

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

I'd be all for it if the mods and additions don't effect server performance.

I'm concerned about the difficulty for a new spawn. It was hard enough for me to gear up enough to get off the coast without getting

killed by freaking ants or dilo's lol

If the higher level dino's won't start prowling where the noobs spawn then I'm for it.

Since I play solo ( limited game time) I'd enjoy some additional building options. I'd love to have a greenhouse !

The taming time is annoying but I see it as part of the gameplay. I've started making kibble for taming and it is a game changer.

The strats for taming with a tribe make the danger of getting your knocked out dino eaten a lot less. With the longer tame time without kibble quite manageable. With kibble it becomes even easier with the reduced exposure time.

taming solo with kibble makes the odds even out with the reduced tame time.

The leveling (xp) seems to ramp up, plateau, then ramp up again. As you acquire engrams and can craft more stuff you level faster. Then the next level is a little longer away.

Again something I see as just part of the flow with the gameplay.

Nothing I'd want to see nixed, just some food for thought.

Overall I think they'd be good additions. 

SmartDev

SmartDev

• Forum Member
  • The Smarter Dev

• 162 posts

I have the game but don't have much time in it. With that being said my input on most of this topic is irrelevant but for as the mods go I believe it would be a really awesome idea to add more items into the game as there is new items to tinker around with for the players that have been playing on the server for a decent amount of time. For the Dino colors hell yeah I don't see why not who doesn't want to see dinosaurs as different colors!!!

Agony

Agony

• Forum Member
  • Soon ™

• 377 posts

And another part of the mod directed at @Rando is the "Kibble-O-Matic" machine in the mod takes eggs that you wouldn't really ever use, say eggs to tame turtles etc and gives you random different kibble, so you can basically recycle your unused eggs. 

As for server performance it shouldn't impact it at all because it's just a few machines and alternatives to buildings

And it wont be much different then it is now, dilos will increase in level a little bit, well i should say "have a chance to" so you will need to be a little careful, but the slingshot is unlocked after maybe 20 minutes of play and after that they're no troubles

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • Forum Member
  • 607 posts
mods: yes (with the caveat that they aren't "realism" or "difficulty" mods)
extra levels: yes

higher difficulty: no

I'm going to take it upon myself to speak for some of the others I've played with, who may or may not be aware of the conversation.

I'm all for more content in the game and more options so mods are fine to that extent.

This push by your tribe for higher difficulty is a self defeating cycle as evidenced by the fact that difficulty was raised and dino levels increased dramatically (almost doubled) and already you guys are pushing for more. So lets say the difficulty is raised to the maximum. You're going to go out, spend hours and find and tame the highest lvl dinos you can find and realize you're back exactly where you started, cause once you have tamed max level dinos it's going to be easy for you again. There's no end point to this no matter how high the dino levels are raised. Meanwhile the median dino level is dramatically higher, which makes things very difficult for players fresh off the beach... especially ones who don't know the game well.

The fact is that you're organized into the largest tribe on the server composed of people who put in the most hours. This fact alone is going to reduce a lot of the "difficulty" you're seeking.

Furthermore, as soon as you tame the max level dinos and they gain their 20-40 extra tame lvls You're going to feel the game is easy again. So hypothetically if the difficulty was maximized and everything becomes easy again (and it will) then what will you do? Look for difficulty mods? realism mods? Things to continue to make the game harder, will all be temporary fixes, and will further raise the barriers to entry of new less experienced and less organized players.

I have a hard enough time trying to get my friends to play this as is without them getting further frustrated and alienated by even higher difficulty levels.

Edit: the resource gather rate is already boosted iirc

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts

@Bourbon hit hte nail on the head. I'm still learning the game and i die A LOT to dinos as it is. especially the bugs. if the difficulty is raides, ill be lucky to spend 5 mins alive.

everything else im okay with though

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • Forum Member
  • 607 posts
A lot of the issues newer players like Jay, @Cruella187, @Kherune, and others are having stems from the level distribution of dinos.

I'm unsure of the distribution and level bias of the dino population, but raising dino levels will push this higher.

A new player in cloth armor and armed with wooden spears isn't going to have a problem with say a lvl 10 or even lvl 20 dilo, but when you're fresh off the beach facing lvl 50, 70, or higher dilos with no armor and a wooden spear that's a pretty tall order.

Tldr: higher dino levels really don't make things harder for the 95% percentile who've mastered the game (hell I'm an experienced player and the difficulty bump didn't affect me personally), but higher difficulty makes things MUCH harder for fresh, inexperienced players.

Rando

Rando

• Retired
  • 1,855 posts

The concern with higher level dinos around the noob spawn areas is my concern as well. 

Dilo's and bugs were my nemesis until about lvl 20 for me at least. bugs killed my first 2 parasaurs even lol

I run a solo operation too

difficulty should probably stay the same level for now but I would welcome all the other additions. 

S3tha

S3tha
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Edit: the resource gather rate is already boosted iirc

nope, the gather rate is normal no boost

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

The concern with higher level dinos around the noob spawn areas is my concern as well. 

Dilo's and bugs were my nemesis until about lvl 20 for me at least. bugs killed my first 2 parasaurs even lol

I run a solo operation too

difficulty should probably stay the same level for now but I would welcome all the other additions. 

Alright well i spoke with @Gurthyy a bit last night about this.

I dont think dino levels will be made harder. our server was made for casual play for GSN members. If we start making it hard that suits the people who sunk 70 hours in and hit max level but for the people who only want to get on four or five times a month they would never stand a chance. Not to mention any New players.

As for mods anything that doesn't change the gameplay experience we are all for. For example dino color mods i dont think anyone would argue against that, however mods that add new machines and change how the game is played probably is not something that will be added. (plus there is always a greater chance with mods that change gameplay that an update might come out and break the server - which would be no bueno)

Plus one thing that confuses me, you guys want harder dinos but want taming and harvesting speed time decreased? Which is it - Do you want the game harder or easier? Or is it that people just want to have armies of dinos that really dont require any upkeep?

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • Forum Member
  • 607 posts

I dont think dino levels will be made harder. our server was made for casual play for GSN members. If we start making it hard that suits the people who sunk 70 hours in and hit max level but for the people who only want to get on four or five times a month they would never stand a chance. Not to mention any New players.

As for mods anything that doesnt change the gameplay experience we are all for. For example dino color mods i dont think anyone would argue against that, however mods that add new machines and change how the game is played probably is not something that will be added. (plus there is always a greater chance with mods that change gameplay that an update might come out and break the server - which would be no bueno)

Thanks for the Input Tactical :)

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Just to add onto Tactical's post, the Dino color mod will likely not be implemented either, At least the one linked. Because it doesn't just skin, it actually replaces them. So if down the line the mod is no longer compatible and we have to remove it, any dinos tamed through the mod are immediately deleted. It also removes default alphas. I'm looking into a couple of solutions for Dino colors that don't have major game play ramifications if something happens.

As Tactical said, this server was for the more casual player. And while I understand that people don't like the time it takes to tame, it's still much lower than official, and I think it makes the perfect balance of difficulty, but still attainable to get solid dinos. If we increase resources and such, I think it will remove the reason this is a survival game. This game was never made to be easy, even for casual players.

The resource gathering is standard, but the resource regen is 2x. I'm assuming that's the confusion there.

As a whole, though, Tactical stated everything I wanted to say in better words than I would've been able to. I agree 200% on what he stated,

Agony

Agony

• Forum Member
  • Soon ™

• 377 posts

As for mods anything that doesn't change the gameplay experience we are all for. For example dino color mods i dont think anyone would argue against that, however mods that add new machines and change how the game is played probably is not something that will be added. (plus there is always a greater chance with mods that change gameplay that an update might come out and break the server - which would be no bueno)

Plus one thing that confuses me, you guys want harder dinos but want taming and harvesting speed time decreased? Which is it - Do you want the game harder or easier? Or is it that people just want to have armies of dinos that really dont require any upkeep?

To respond to your final part of the post I want it harder but to "Cater to the casuals" as so many companies put it, at the same time.

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,662 posts

To respond to your final part of the post I want it harder but to "Cater to the casuals" as so many companies put it, at the same time.

This sort of function is nearly impossible its extremely difficult to cater to two sub groups of players. Without direct control over everything its just not possible. You cannot cater to the guy that has 12 hrs to play and the guy that has 3 hrs without screwing one or the other. Either we make it easier so the 12hr guys get bored and think the game is too easy or maker it harder and it drives away the casual player. As @Gurthyy has said the server was never designed around the master player or the guy that can play for 12 hours it is for those of us that cannot dedicate that time, we can get on make some prgoress in a few hours and go to bed. It will never cater to the hardcore player. Gonna be blunt and say unfortunately if people dont like it....tough.

Bourbon

Bourbon
  • Forum Member
  • 607 posts

I and others aren't against this per seh, however as I and others pointed out raising dino level makes the game disproportionately more challenging for newer lower level players without impacting the difficulty of established players in an meaningful way.

If there were more bosses, more caves to clear, things of that nature that could offer additional challenge for those prepared to face them, without significantly impacting newer players I'd be all in favor of that.

TjTragic

TjTragic
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

I really think these changes would improve the game-play a lot. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users