Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Arma 3 Learning to script, I'm a complete noob sources.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Modoc

Modoc
  • Get off my lawn!!!

• 1,113 posts

Let me start by saying I'm not a coder/scripter. I'm more than happy just playing other people's work and products. I know just enough to have Paronity want to throw me in jail and execute me for even wanting to look at his code, let alone touch it, but I have these 2 small, well 1 1/2, small voices asking me daily to make them a co-op mission for Arma 3. So here I am, looking at as many sources for Arma 3 scripting and code that I can find. I want to learn to actually do it though, not just copy and paste which is probably allot faster, but I want to understand it while I'm doing it. That means starting at the basics.

I know some of our Altis players also want to know this, and would like to know where to look to get a good starting point. I look everywhere when I look for knowledge, anyguide, page, wiki, or conversation that I can. While some of the places look horrible, the actual guides for learning aren't that bad and can help an absolute noob like myself.

BI's forum introduction for new scripters thread.

https://forums.bistu...-new-scripters/

And yes, I found this site from BI's forums about learning to script single player, and it's bad, but the scripting guides for a noob are well written. Look at the fock scripting guides 1, 2, and 3 they have some good noob info.

http://fockers.moonf...ting/4566406735

Next is BI's wiki for Arma 3 scripting commands, it lists hopefully every command with a brief description.

https://community.bi...Commands_Arma_3

I'm sure there are more places to look, and I will, I just thought I would share what I'm looking at now that I find helpful. I hope to add to this list and detail my soon to be upcoming mission for my little troops.

If anyone has more places to look and wants to share that will be much appreciated, I hope to slowly add to this as I progress.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

I am literally working on a "So, you wanna learn to work with ARMA 3" post, which includes:

1.) Some super simple basic scripts

2.) The basics of editing and testing

3.) Setting up a local server to do testing. 

4.) Creating batch files to automate things.

I'll post a link to it here once I post it later today. :)

Modoc

Modoc
  • Get off my lawn!!!

• 1,113 posts

I am literally working on a "So, you wanna learn to work with ARMA 3" post, which includes:

You put that up and I'll happily change this post to just be about working on my co-op mission, which is why I started this in the first place  :D

HomeGrownLogan

HomeGrownLogan

• Forum Member
  • 59 posts

This is something I'd also be interested in. Always wanted to start making mods

SmartDev

SmartDev

• Forum Member
  • The Smarter Dev

• 162 posts
Google is your friend if you don't understand something good chances are google will point you in the right direction. Also for the copy and paste I would not advise it but instead maybe write it down then type it what that will do for you is help you remeber functions and how they can work in something other than that script.

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

Make a pre-configured zipped package with all the goods! Drag and drop, edit a couple thingies and boom :D

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

Google is your friend if you don't understand something good chances are google will point you in the right direction. Also for the copy and paste I would not advise it but instead maybe write it down then type it what that will do for you is help you remeber functions and how they can work in something other than that script.

This is true to an extent, but there are a TON of people that are coding for ARMA that should not be and the code is absolutely awful. About 75% of what is found on altisliferpg.com, for example, is garbage. There are like 10 people that know what they are doing over there.....

Make a pre-configured zipped package with all the goods! Drag and drop, edit a couple thingies and boom :D

Not a bad idea. :)

MrCheezle

MrCheezle

• Forum Member
  • Former NPFGSN Member

• 694 posts

Can't wait to get this all started.  After ARMACon and ARMA Manager are cleaned up a bit of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users