Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Minecraft Server Offline and Future of MC

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Good morning all - 

Just writing you to let you know that last night, the GSN FTB server was brought offline.  I have been watching the population, and we have not had any connections over the past 2 weeks to the server.  This tends to happen often with FTB, as we reached end game quicker than I've ever seen.

I wanted to make this post to see if there would be interest in bringing up a Vanilla server for a while, as the last few servers we've had have been different FTB packs.  I can get something up and running over the next couple of days if there would be interest in it.

Minecraft has always been a game that GSN finds its way back to. With other games such as RoK and Ark filling the "crafting/survival" hole, if we choose not to have a MC server for a while that is okay to.  I'd like to know what everyone thinks so we can make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Gurthyy

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

Being the other MC admin, with ARK and RoK in full swing, We might need to give our MC muscle a rest. We have the talent to bring it back whenever we feel like it. 

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Being the other MC admin, with ARK and RoK in full swing, We might need to give our MC muscle a rest. We have the talent to bring it back whenever we feel like it. 

That was my thought exactly. I have a deep-seeded love for MC, but it seems like we have enough at the moment to scratch our "have to build and survive" itch...

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

DAMN i was just about to start playing Minecraft!

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

DAMN i was just about to start playing Minecraft!

I call bullshit.

Belials

Belials
  • Forum Member
  • 179 posts

I would have recommended lightening your restrictions for whitelisting. I tried to be an active member on the MC server but despite coming to the forum daily for a couple months straight, I wasn't eligible for whitelisting. I ended up just playing elsewhere.

I had never played FTB and was really interested in it.

TheGoats267

TheGoats267
  • Banned
  • Always Here

• 1,958 posts
I am in a similar boat to Nackers, although I'm not sure if he was kidding or not. Either way, I have an interest in picking up some MC again, and was dissapointed when Gurthy told me the other day we'd be shutting it down soon. I vote to bring it back!

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

I am always for having a MC server up, even a vanilla one.  But I'm guilty of being one of those who like it up just in case I want to play it again.  I have spurts with that game.  So if it doesn't cost anything I'd say yes, but if it does then maybe not.

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

I am in a similar boat to Nackers, although I'm not sure if he was kidding or not. Either way, I have an interest in picking up some MC again, and was dissapointed when Gurthy told me the other day we'd be shutting it down soon. I vote to bring it back!

I am always for having a MC server up, even a vanilla one.  But I'm guilty of being one of those who like it up just in case I want to play it again.  I have spurts with that game.  So if it doesn't cost anything I'd say yes, but if it does then maybe not.

The box that had MC on it currently has ARK now. I'm going to give it a couple of days to monitor resources, but as of now, I think we'd be okay to put up a 10-20 slot vanilla server back up this weekend, just so that we have it if the time comes that people would like to play it.  I'd put in some admin plugins, but it would have no mods or anything like that.  As long as ARK doesn't end up being way more resource intensive as it has been, I'll work this weekend on getting something setup for everyone. :)

Kherune

Kherune

• Just Rune'd the whole thing

• 1,662 posts

Like you said gurthyy if we got the room there are some people who ask about it. I know @Sadistikitty literally asked me last night jsut after you took it down. If we got room a vanilla server wouldn't be bad. @Belials on the topic of less restrictive whitelisting it was set that way because the server was designed to be laid back we didn't have the people or the time to monitor it constantly for trolls griefers and the such and towards the end the restriction was literally a recommendation from a basic or higher member. Most of them more then willing to recommend you if you were around and played with any of em.

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

I have no issue putting a small 5 man VAnilla MC server up. Especially if its for saditikitty

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Like I said, let me keep an eye on the Ark server over the next couple of days and see where we're at resource wise, and I'll get a server up this weekend that will be able to run side by side with Ark without issue.

Belials

Belials
  • Forum Member
  • 179 posts

@Belials on the topic of less restrictive whitelisting it was set that way because the server was designed to be laid back we didn't have the people or the time to monitor it constantly for trolls griefers and the such and towards the end the restriction was literally a recommendation from a basic or higher member. Most of them more then willing to recommend you if you were around and played with any of em.

It's impossible to play with someone if I can't get on the server ;)

Think of it this way - I was on the GSN forum every day, playing on the KotH server every day and playing the Altis Life server every day / every couple days. It's one thing to prevent someone you've never seen before from being on the whitelist - it's another thing to prevent an active member of the community specifically asking to be on it.

Kherune

Kherune

• 1,662 posts

It's impossible to play with someone if I can't get on the server ;)

Think of it this way - I was on the GSN forum every day, playing on the KotH server every day and playing the Altis Life server every day / every couple days. It's one thing to prevent someone you've never seen before from being on the whitelist - it's another thing to prevent an active member of the community specifically asking to be on it.

You didnt need to play with a minecraft player one of the koth guys coulda reccomended you. It can be ANY GSN member basic+ whether theyve even heard of minecraft or not.

Jake

Jake

• Banned
  • The Real Slim Shaggy

• 881 posts

I say just bring back Vanilla tbh.

Kherune

Kherune

• 1,662 posts

I say just bring back Vanilla tbh.

This is likely to be the case IF we have room for it on the box. Like gurthyy said were trialing ark and if we got room to not impact the games we can have another

emttim

emttim

• Retired
  • 2,057 posts

I always find myself coming back to vanilla MC. 

HacksawJack

HacksawJack

• Banned
  • Banned

• 2,556 posts

Vanilla MC is much easier to maintain. 

With a basic permissions plugin, whitelist and action logging. it can practically run itself. @Gurthyy let me know what I can do on my end. 

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,770 posts

You minecraft people....

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Vanilla MC is much easier to maintain. 

With a basic permissions plugin, whitelist and action logging. it can practically run itself. @Gurthyy let me know what I can do on my end. 

When I get home tonight I'll try to get something up and running, as it looks like we should be okay. Ark server hasn't been taking too many resources, we should be able to handle a 10 slot vanilla on this box. I will absolutely let you know what's goin on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users