Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

How to setup a noise gate for windows!

noise gate noise gator vb-audio virtual audio cable

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts
For me it seems to kind of fade after a few seconds of talking but I still have to try adjusting the release speed a bit before I find something else

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Really didn't work for me.

Its probably cause I have Blue Yeti Mic and it may be too sensitive but if you guys have any solutions I would love to hear them.

Thank you.

Edited by Claylex, November 04, 2015.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts

Really didn't work for me.

Its probably cause I have Blue Yeti Mic and it may be too sensitive but if you guys have any solutions I would love to hear them.

Thank you.

Any mic that registers should work just fine. Just have to make sure vbcable installs and then in NoiseGator

noisegator1.PNG

There's my settings in noisegator, then in the settings button, click the box for drift compensation.

In the programs you would like to use it in, make sure you select the "CABLE Output(VB-Audio Virtual Cable)" as your mic input and should be good to go!

Let us know if this helps!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Noisegator has been broken for me ever since upgrading to 8.1 and 10. 

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Noisegator has been broken for me ever since upgrading to 8.1 and 10. 

I have Windows 10 and could that be the problem?

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Any mic that registers should work just fine. Just have to make sure vbcable installs and then in NoiseGator

attachicon.gifnoisegator1.PNG

There's my settings in noisegator, then in the settings button, click the box for drift compensation.

In the programs you would like to use it in, make sure you select the "CABLE Output(VB-Audio Virtual Cable)" as your mic input and should be good to go!

Let us know if this helps!

Thank you.:D

I'll be sure to tell you if it worked or not.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

I have Windows 10 and could that be the problem?

Could be! It only worked for me on 7 and 8. Soon as i upgraded on and past 8.1, it stopped working altogether, and the dev never patched it. 

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Could be! It only worked for me on 7 and 8. Soon as i upgraded on and past 8.1, it stopped working altogether, and the dev never patched it. 

I'm gonna do the thing SaltySam said to do and if that doesn't work then that seems to be the problem unfortunately.

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

It didn't work.

I still hear keyboard and mouse clicks and it still makes a lot of noise no matter how much I change the settings.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts

Where are you listening to the output from? Do you have all over sound inputs muted/disabled(i.e. webcams, headset mics, etc) in the sound settings?

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Where are you listening to the output from? Do you have all over sound inputs muted/disabled(i.e. webcams, headset mics, etc) in the sound settings?

Well when I go on Twitch/YT I use my Mic for my Input and my Astro A50 headphones are my output.

I turn off my Headsets Mic off but thats pretty much it.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts
So what are you using for recording/screen capture? I actually have my webcam mic disabled entirely and when I had my astro A40s I had to disable that mic as well. Otherwise OBS/xsplit/shadowplay will record all available inputs which would make noisegator seem like it's not working at all.

Easiest way I could help would be to have you go live on twitch and watch/listen. If you could enable VODs on twitch and stream for a few minutes and show me the sound settings in obs/pc sound settings I could better figure it out. Could do it love but would be harder to schedule that lol

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

So what are you using for recording/screen capture? I actually have my webcam mic disabled entirely and when I had my astro A40s I had to disable that mic as well. Otherwise OBS/xsplit/shadowplay will record all available inputs which would make noisegator seem like it's not working at all.

Easiest way I could help would be to have you go live on twitch and watch/listen. If you could enable VODs on twitch and stream for a few minutes and show me the sound settings in obs/pc sound settings I could better figure it out. Could do it love but would be harder to schedule that lol

I use Shadowplay to record my games. OBS to stream.

My webcam and my Astro A50 mics are turned off on recording devices.

I stream around 8/9 PM EST but I can stream anytime you want me too.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts
And you've adjusted the noise gate up higher and still get the noise when you're not talking? When the noise gate is closed, background noise is going to bleed through but if it's showing open in noisegator and you're hearing the noise, something else is being recorded other than that cable output. I will try to watch your stream and help ya out, got a link to that and maybe a YouTube video that you noticed the noise bleeding through?

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

And you've adjusted the noise gate up higher and still get the noise when you're not talking? When the noise gate is closed, background noise is going to bleed through but if it's showing open in noisegator and you're hearing the noise, something else is being recorded other than that cable output. I will try to watch your stream and help ya out, got a link to that and maybe a YouTube video that you noticed the noise bleeding through?

I used noisegate on my Twitch once and it kept messing up due to an input non-detecting my mic even though my mic was inputted into it.

I haven't made any YT videos with noisegate yet.

Edited by Claylex, November 06, 2015.

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Just want to say its working in Shadowplay. It gets a little annoying when the mic for some reason disconnects from noisegator but it never shows while I'm recording or streaming even.

Will update if anything bad happens.

Claylex

Claylex
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

I do have some problems on Twitch cause the thing keeps stuttering.

Sapphini

Sapphini
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

To be honest when i talk there is still background noise it goes away when i dont talk but its still there when i talk so this is pretty useless

Edited by Sapphini, February 11, 2016.

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

If there's backaground noise and the mic itself is sensative, it's going to pick up background noise when the mic is open... This is more so background noise itself doesn't activate the mic, so that the mic isn't always picking up everything.

If you don't want background noise at, all, get an omni-directional mic with a low sensativity AND use a noise supression app/hardware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users