Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

How to setup a noise gate for windows!

noise gate noise gator vb-audio virtual audio cable

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,761 posts

Update (May 24th) It seems that using noisegator with Windows 8 or 8.1 and noisegator makes it so NoiseGator doesn't activate. This is a known issue that is in the process of getting fixed: http://sourceforge.n...ator/tickets/9/

This is a quick guide on how to setup a noise gate on a system level, so you can use 1 noise gate in different programs like OBS, Skype, Teamspeak, Mumble, Shadowplay, FRAPS. Doing this will make it so your recordings/people in Teamspeak aren't always hearing your background noise, heavy breathing, keyboard clicks, etc. Only when you actually TALK.

What is a noise gate?

In most programs that you use a microphone in, your mic will CONSTANTLY be transmitting what it's hearing. This can make it so gameplay you record or people you talk to can hear faint background noise, computer fans, heavy breathing, the clicking of your mouse or keyboard. A noise gate is a program that makes it so your microphone only activates at a certain dB of noise. Putting this noise gate at a dB level higher then your background noise, and lower then your voice will make it so the background noise isn't transmitted and your microphone will only activate when something as loud as your voice comes through the mic. (Very similar to how voice detection works in Teamspeak.)

Putting a noise gate that works at a system level, will make it so you only have to set it up once and works consistently with all your VOIP and recording programs like OBS, Skype, Teamspeak, Mumble, Shadowplay, FRAPS.

Step 1

Download NoiseGator. This is a program where you will setup your noise thresholds. It's free and Java based. (Make sure you have the most up-to-date Java 8 installed) Download NoiseGator, put in where you want and run it.

Download: http://sourceforge.n...cts/noisegator/

Step 2

Install VB-Cable, Virtual Audio Device. Download this driver, extract the files. Follow install instructions in Step 3.

(This works WITH Noisegator to input your mic, apply the noise gate and EXPORT the audio via a driver OUTPUT. Later, you will be switching your Mic settings to capture this audio device, instead of your mic.)

Driver Download: vbaudio.jcedeveloppement.com/Download_CABLE/VBCABLEDriver_Pack42b.zip

Step 3

Watch this video. He explains how to use these 2 programs together and how to get them to work in your programs. Sure, I could of typed it all out, but why re-invent the wheel.

Step 4

Make sure that you have NoiseGator start when you start windows so your mic always has the noise-gate running. You can usually doing this by placing a shortcut to the application in your "Startup" folder. If you are using an external mixer or USB interface for your microphone, enable "drift compensation". This will stop your audio from going out of sync.

Step 5

Disable "voice clarity filter in NoiseGator settings. It makes your mic sound awful.

Step 6

Receive praise from your fellow gamers for not making them listen to your farts, heavy breathing, keyboard clicks and everything else you do!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Thanks Robot! I'm all setup. 

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • 1,014 posts

Me Too! Lovin' it.  Need to play around with the threshold, as it occasionally picks up my keyboard clacking, but so far so good!

Muuvie

Muuvie

• Forum Member
  • I Like Turtles

• 1,323 posts

#PTT4Lyfe

<3

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Does the VB-Virtual need to be the default mic input in windows settings? They both actuate when I speak in the mic. 

Image%202014-12-29%20at%204.56.50%20PM.p

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,761 posts

@Nackers @Gurthyy @Bill

Make sure you guys do this too. Just added it:

Step 5: Disable "voice clarity filter in NoiseGator settings. Sounds awful.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,761 posts

Does the VB-Virtual need to be the default mic input in windows settings? They both actuate when I speak in the mic. 

Image%202014-12-29%20at%204.56.50%20PM.p

I think it doesn't NEED to be, but I can't see this hurting anything.

WeiseGamer

WeiseGamer

• Inactive
  • 1,812 posts

Tagging so I can read this in the future! (30 mins or so?)

JollyGG

JollyGG

• 1,570 posts

Along the line of microphones and such, any idea how to get the volume of the microphone down in FRAPs recordings? Every time I record, no matter how much I tweak the Microphone Settings in sound properties, nor in Teamspeak or anything, my microphone is always at least 17dB higher than the rest of the audio..makes video editing a pain >.<

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Along the line of microphones and such, any idea how to get the volume of the microphone down in FRAPs recordings? Every time I record, no matter how much I tweak the Microphone Settings in sound properties, nor in Teamspeak or anything, my microphone is always at least 17dB higher than the rest of the audio..makes video editing a pain >.<

I'd get away from FRAPS honestly, it's always a pain in the ass. 

Why not use OBS for recording? It's free and does really well!

JollyGG

JollyGG

• 1,570 posts

I'd get away from FRAPS honestly, it's always a pain in the ass. 

Why not use OBS for recording? It's free and does really well!

Anytime I try using something other than FRAPs, it lags my game a LOT more than FRAPs does...

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,761 posts

Yikes. No idea. The reason I started looking into the noise gate was because shadowplay audio is ALWAYS OPEN, so it would capture everything from breathing to background noise etc.

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

@BadBadRobot The Noisegator link is down "The sourceforge.net website is temporarily in static offline mode." http://sourceforge.n...cts/noisegator/

Know of anywhere else I can grab it?

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts

DarkerBlitz

Soundforge is the only place I have ever found it. Looks like their website is crashing all over  the place. Their twitter account posted a status saying that they are dealing with crash errors and that they will be back up ASAP so may have to wait.

I will reinstall dropbox when i get home tonight and I can send ya the link if it lets me upload the files. It's just a java program so it doesn't need a bunch of installation files and such. It's literally just the .exe and you save it to your desktop and that's it (It's free from SF so shouldn't be an issue)

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

Thanks, Sam!

Edit: So I set it up exactly like the video said, but I'm still getting ALL the background noise. AC, typing, mouse clicks, heavy breathing. Everyhing. I even tried setting my theshold up to 100, and it's not changing anything.

Also, I'm getting weird audio looping? It takes all of my audio and keeps putting it in a loop through twitch.

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • Resident Ark Dood

• 2,740 posts

btw, did we get all the issues you were having knocked out? Just saw the post above this morning lol

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

Thanks, Sam!

Edit: So I set it up exactly like the video said, but I'm still getting ALL the background noise. AC, typing, mouse clicks, heavy breathing. Everyhing. I even tried setting my theshold up to 100, and it's not changing anything.

Also, I'm getting weird audio looping? It takes all of my audio and keeps putting it in a loop through twitch.

btw, did we get all the issues you were having knocked out? Just saw the post above this morning lol

You know ever since the last update, noise gator hasn't been working for me either. I haven't exactly tried to fix it, but I've just noticed it hasn't been working. 

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

You know ever since the last update, noise gator hasn't been working for me either. I haven't exactly tried to fix it, but I've just noticed it hasn't been working. 

JAVA......    :wallbash:

:D

TheGoats267

TheGoats267
  • Banned
  • Always Here

• 1,958 posts

Thanks, Sam!

I'm sorry I have to.
NUyttbnh.jpg

DarkerBlitz

DarkerBlitz

• Forum Member
  • 1,114 posts

Everything seems to be working fine. I only have one issue left to resolve, and that is that it doesn't pick up approx. Half of the first word that I say. I have my Threshold at 10, attack time at 5ms, and release time at 10ms.

Anyone know what I need to change to fix this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users