Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

The Ultimate Guide to Removing Spyware/Malware

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

So you're the family tech. Every time grandpa stumbles onto midget videos that aren't suitable for all ages, he has to download every flash player plugin and toolbar imaginable. And now you have to fix it. For free. 

Well, i'm here to save you some time. Looking online, I've compiled a list of the best spyware and malware removal tools, no matter how bad the infection. I've been using this process for the past couple months and it has never let me down. 

I'm not going to type and entire step by step, but i'll give you guys a couple pointers. 

This folder is what i keep on a flash drive on my key ring at all times. I keep everything in one folder so I can just drag and drop the folder to the desktop of the PC I'm working on. Here is the download link for Mr. Fix It.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT STEP. You must start your computer in safe mode, WITHOUT NETWORKING. This is a must. If you don't do this, these steps are worthless. Also, make sure you run them in the order I have them listed. It matters!

Tip #1 - You should run all these tests more than once. Doesn't hurt

Tip #2 - If the computer asks you to restart, you can, but YOU MUST RESTART IN SAFE MODE AGAIN. 

Tip #3 - Hitman Pro is technically freeware. When you run the .exe, you have to make sure you "run this program once". If you don't do this, when you run the scan, it won't let you delete or quarantine the malicious files unless you purchase. SO MAKE SURE YOU DO THAT.  

Tip #4 - If ADW Cleaner finds malicous files, it's going to FORCE you to do a restart. Even if you close out the windows, it will force restart. Just be ready for it and start back in safe mode. 

Tip #5 - When you run CCleaner, it deletes all browser history and saved passwords by default. There are some people who use their browser history as their bookmarks, and I've watched people have heart attacks when they realize their their history is gone. So make sure to uncheck the 'clear browser history' box when you run the scan. And makes sure they don't forget passwords they need, because when you reset the internet browser to default, you will lose those passwords. 

Tip #6 - On top of a Junk Scanner, system ninja has MANY awesome tools - including a bulk uninstaller. Now, I usually use Revo Uninstaller for the things i know need registry cleaning, but for more lightweight uninstalls - this works awesome. Make sure you check out all the features, it has a lot including a Portable Version you can keep on a flash drive and use whenever. 

Now, if you're dealing with browser malware, proxies and home page redirects, you have a little more work to do. Now, this isn't as easy as running some scans. Getting web browsers back to normal takes experiences and the know how. After you have consulted with the client about their browser settings and such, time to tackle the web browsers. Make sure to remove all extensions and toolbars that don't belong. Reset all browsers to factory default and wipe them cleannnnnn. Make sure the home pages are set to defaults, and all search engines are deleted, cookies, cache, plugins and deleted, etc. etc. It's taken me a good year to perfect getting rid of browser malware, so don't get discouraged if you can't get it right away. 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. 

SpaceCoder

SpaceCoder

• Do as I say, not as I do.

• 1,191 posts

cool man! i need to put these on a flashdrive so i can take it to my grandparents house and clean their pc. they tend to download a lot of malware thinking its good software :/ lol

Devils_knight

Devils_knight

• 1,094 posts

Thanks again man

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Thanks again man

Work good?

300harbingers

300harbingers
  • Inactive
  • Hamburger Murderer

• 418 posts

i love you

Dominic

Dominic
  • Forum Member
  • 863 posts

Thanks Nackers,

That looks like a lot of stuff to download... My moms computer takes over 2 minutes to open Firefox so I think she's hopeless.

Machine Gun Preacher

Machine Gun Preacher
  • Forum Member
  • Yes, I know I post too much.

• 4,647 posts
I assume a small thumb drive (15 GB) will fit all these files?

Oh and replace midgets with some sketchy barely legal shit and that story is true. Except my grandfather kinda bribed me with not saying anything either though lol.

Devils_knight

Devils_knight

• 1,094 posts

Work good?

Definitely worked! i would have formatted if it wasn't for your help!

Devils_knight

Devils_knight

• 1,094 posts

Thanks Nackers,

That looks like a lot of stuff to download... My moms computer takes over 2 minutes to open Firefox so I think she's hopeless.

Download as a zip and then put on a thumb drive its a very small down load

yes it will fit i made it all fit on a 2 gig drive

paladinZero

paladinZero

• Staff
  • Mad Cause Bad

• 1,178 posts

Excellent guide... thanks for putting it together Nackers!

Wags

Wags

• Forum Member
  • 740 posts

Nice work Nackers. I have thought about putting something like this together for awhile, but my sheer laziness, bad attitute, work schedule have prevented me from doing it lol.

I've been working on a re-direct hi-jack for google search engine for about a week now, and I think I finally got it. Those are definetly a pain in the ass. 

For those of you needing help with getting into safe mode with Windows 8 and 8.1 this link helps.

http://www.7tutorial...ws-8-windows-81

Devils_knight

Devils_knight

• 1,094 posts

Nice work Nackers. I have thought about putting something like this together for awhile, but my sheer laziness, bad attitute, work schedule have prevented me from doing it lol.

I've been working on a re-direct hi-jack for google search engine for about a week now, and I think I finally got it. Those are definetly a pain in the ass. 

For those of you needing help with getting into safe mode with Windows 8 and 8.1 this link helps.

Wwhat i did for safe mode was search msconfig and selected boot option then safe mode worked like a charm

Blade

Blade
  • 526 posts

i need to work on my dad pc and was lost what else to do this will help thanks again

Coyote

Coyote

• Staff
  • 947 posts

Thanks man, good stuff I am a grandpa and the family tech guy for family and my senior citizan friends.

Ccleaner and malwarebytes are  two favorites. But teamviewer is a big help for me with family computer problems as it save me travel time and gas.

I have added your recommended  programs to my flash drive.

I still remember that cool video you made on clonezilla, another great free program which I still use.

Keep up the good work. @Nackers

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Thanks Nackers,

This process will definitely help with that!

Oh and replace midgets with some sketchy barely legal shit and that story is true. Except my grandfather kinda bribed me with not saying anything either though lol.

Yeah I don't think it's any bigger than 2 or 3gb worth of software. 

Definitely worked! i would have formatted if it wasn't for your help!

Awesome man good to hear!

Excellent guide... thanks for putting it together Nackers!

Thanks! You are very welcome! I can't take all the credit - I found a list of a few of these on a guide somewhere...I just made it easy to grab and simple to use. As well as adding some of my favorite tools. 

The home page redirects are the worst, and normally the first thing targeted. Hate it so much. 

Thanks for that guide!

Wwhat i did for safe mode was search msconfig and selected boot option then safe mode worked like a charm

This is another way! You can just hold shift and click restart in windows 8 or 8.1 and it'll boot into the advanced startup prompt. 

i need to work on my dad pc and was lost what else to do this will help thanks again

Welcome!

Thanks man, good stuff I am a grandpa and the family tech guy for family and my senior citizan friends.

Ccleaner and malwarebytes are  two favorites. But teamviewer is a big help for me with family computer problems as it save me travel time and gas.

I have added your recommended  programs to my flash drive.

I still remember that cool video you made on clonezilla, another great free program which I still use.

Keep up the good work. @Nackers

You are very welcome! I'm glad this could be of some assistance. I love Team Viewer as well. I have a LogMeIn Central account so I use that primarily for work, but Team Viewer is definitely my favorite for personal computers. 

And I have to re upload that clonezilla tutorial - but I think I lost it :( I had to delete that youtube account because google refused to remove my address from Google+...I'll re record it one of these days. 

Counter Terrorist

Counter Terrorist
  • Banned
  • Banned

• 100 posts
Not trying to sound like a complete scrub but does safe mode automatically have no networking or do I have enable it? I'm on windows 8 btw

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts
Correct. Safe mode is with networking disabled. Safe mode with networking allows an Internet connection.

Counter Terrorist

Counter Terrorist
  • Banned
  • Banned

• 100 posts
How do I go about doing this?

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts
Unfortunately with windows 8, you have to be in the OS already to sTart in safe mode. Shift click on 'restart' and hold shift until the 'restarting' splash screen does away. The click 'troubleshoot', 'advanced options' and the. 'Windows startup settings'. Click restart again and then choose safe mode of choice

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts
CloudApp / Z0Or

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users