Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Play Music for your Stream, but not you

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

TheGoats267

TheGoats267
  • Banned
  • Always Here

• 1,958 posts

Hey guys,

Ghost here - today with a relatively quick and easy guide on how to do something that I personally love to do - and would love if other streamers do it as well. Ever been playing a game, such as CSGO, where you obviously can't play with music, but want to play background music during your stream? Well today, I can show you how!

All you need to do is download this magical software called Virtual Audio Cable - it doesn't touch your current sound settings at all!

So here we go:

Step 1) Acquire Virtual Audio Cable - found here: http://software.muzy...net/eng/vac.htm

The trial version works; I personally use the paid version (although there are some... alternate methods of acquiring it as well...)

Tr21Dqk.png

Step 2) Open your downloaded VAC folder, and launch the setup executable, as appropriate for your system (64 bit or not).

zPTN7YP.png

Step 3) Find the install folder of your VAC software, and launch it's control panel, called "vcctlpan.exe". Inside the control panel, set the number of cables to 3, and click set; in the top left.

Technically this requires 2 cables, but it is difficult to change in the future, so I use 3 to be safe.

4Miq10j.png

Step 4) Open your Windows audio control panel, and switch over to "recording". There, find the playback feature that is built in to your computer's sound card. Usually, this is called "Stereo Mix", but since I use a special soundcard, it's called "WHAT U HEAR" for me. They're fundamentally the same.

Open its properties, and click the listen tab. Checkbox the "listen" box, and select "Line 2" in the dropdown below it.

xxylCA3.png

Step 5) Now, all of what YOU HEAR will be going to line 2 of your audio output. Next, download or open VLC Media Player. In the player, play whatever music you'd like (I won't get into how to install or use VLC - it's quite simple). When your audio is playing, click the "Audio" menu at the top menu bar, then find "Audio Device", and select Line 2.

Note that I am using a special skin for my VLC, so I am not using a menu bar, I am simply using a right-click feature on my media.

7Rt0P8Y.png

Important note: You can select any one of your audio cables you like. Some people use a "music bot" in teamspeak by a similar method, and will already be using Line 1. If this is the case, all you need to do is repeat step 4, and replace "Line 1" (or whatever you're using for your music bot input), with the Stereo Mix.

Step 6) Now, both your computer's audio (what you hear), and the music you've selected are being piped to line 2. All you need to do now is link it to your streaming program, and for this example I'll be using OBS - Open Broadcaster Software.

Simply open OBS, find your settings, open the Audio tab, and select Line 2 as your desktop input device.

FDBaU90.png

The hardest part from here is simply finding the mix of audio that best fits your needs, since you generally want your music to be "under" your game - and without being able to hear it first hand, it could take a bit of practice.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - hopefully this can help people in the future of their streams! :D

MiAtCh

MiAtCh

• Forum Member
  • 1,794 posts

Ariana Grande huh?!

MiAtCh

MiAtCh

• Forum Member
  • 1,794 posts

jk jk, nice post...thanks for the info!

Machine Gun Preacher

Machine Gun Preacher
  • Forum Member
  • Yes, I know I post too much.

• 4,647 posts
Nice, detailed guide. Thanks

TheGoats267

TheGoats267
  • Banned
  • Always Here

• 1,958 posts

Ariana Grande huh?!

You know what, I actually realized that after I took the screenshot... in my defense I opened VLC for the express purpose to take that screenshot and that happened to be the last song I played through my music bot.

Don't judge. :P

Muuvie

Muuvie

• Forum Member
  • I Like Turtles

• 1,323 posts

Much reading.  Such words.  Wow.

I will resume after more coffee. 

But cool d000d.

Fusion3Gz

Fusion3Gz
  • Forum Member
  • 1,308 posts

Much reading.  Such words.  Wow.

I will resume after more coffee. 

But cool d000d.

Agreed lol, 6:00 is to early for this.

Fish_Tacos

Fish_Tacos

• Forum Member
  • 862 posts
Nice tutorial! Thanks for posting!

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

So this is for if you want to listen to music but don't want your viewers to hear what you're listening too?

TheGoats267

TheGoats267
  • Banned
  • Always Here

• 1,958 posts

So this is for if you want to listen to music but don't want your viewers to hear what you're listening too?

The exact opposite. This is if you want your viewers to hear background music, but you (the streamer) don't want to hear it. Very useful for games where great amounts of teamwork/listening is required, such as CSGO and Altis Life roleplay interactions (aka, talking to people).

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

The exact opposite. This is if you want your viewers to hear background music, but you (the streamer) don't want to hear it. Very useful for games where great amounts of teamwork/listening is required, such as CSGO and Altis Life roleplay interactions (aka, talking to people).

Ah cool! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users