Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

How to Apply Thermal Paste to CPU

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

During BadBadRobot's build stream, there was a tiny debate on what was the best way to apply thermal past to a CPU. I argued the dot method was the best, and a few others said spreading it even was the best way to do so. 

While it looks like the final method he used had the best results as far as coverage, this shows you what happens when you spread thermal paste over a cpu before placing your cooler. 

ALSO KEEP IN MIND that he is using different types of thermal paste. Notice how they spread different. Good things to keep in mind. 

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts
How I put it on; empty tube onto CPU, put paper towel around area, spread, place cooler on! Full coverage. No worries!

Al Hoff

Al Hoff

• Forum Member
  • You ain't got no legs Lieutenant Dan!

• 1,771 posts

Damn air-bubbles. Guess I'll have to adapt to dotting and lining.

@Nackers which method would you prefer, just the good ol dot or the line?

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts
What I do is do a x. Corner to corner, then spread it out. I use a silicon paste though

Gewchie

Gewchie
  • Forum Member
  • 800 posts

The "X" method seemed to give the best coverage based on that video. Interesting to see.

Paste I used on my current build - http://www.innovationcooling.com/

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

How I put it on; empty tube onto CPU, put paper towel around area, spread, place cooler on! Full coverage. No worries!

I'm sorry, empty a whole tube? That is WAY to much. I've had the same tube of thermal paste for YEARS and countless builds...

Damn air-bubbles. Guess I'll have to adapt to dotting and lining.

@Nackers which method would you prefer, just the good ol dot or the line?

I prefer the dot. When you do a dot, it's one push of liquid out of the tube and the least chance of air bubbles. Then when you secure the cooler it spreads itself out. Less time, less mess, and awesome erection. 

What I do is do a x. Corner to corner, then spread it out. I use a silicon paste though

Yeah that seems like way to much. 

The "X" method seemed to give the best coverage based on that video. Interesting to see.

Paste I used on my current build - http://www.innovationcooling.com/

Yeah the x does seem like it covered best, can't say I'd use that method though. That's just an opinion though, no based on any facts. 

Edited by Nackers, August 29, 2014.

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts
I'm joking about emptying the tube. But I don't make a big line of paste, I make sure its thin

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

I'm joking about emptying the tube. But I don't make a big line of paste, I make sure its thin

LOL ok you scared me. I couldn't tell if you were joking or not. 

Machine Gun Preacher

Machine Gun Preacher
  • Forum Member
  • Yes, I know I post too much.

• 4,647 posts
Did mine like a line of coke, one at a time evenly spread and then started another line to finish it. Did it for the hell of it cuz i am not OCing

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts

LOL ok you scared me. I couldn't tell if you were joking or not.

Haha yeah I don't go overboard. I'm getting a new cooler soon, so gonna have to redo my paste. Might get some silver 5

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

so it TP supposed to cover the entire surface of the cpu? or just a large enough area?

Jay Deadeye

Jay Deadeye
  • Still a Basic Bitch

• 516 posts

so it TP supposed to cover the entire surface of the cpu? or just a large enough area?

Most of it. The corners don't have to be covered really, but I try to get it all

Naaackers

Naaackers

• Staff
  • OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,894 posts

No it doesn't need to cover everything. 

Paronity

Paronity

• Retired
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

I don't use any of these methods. Not going into more detail on purpose </troll>

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,408 posts

thats what they say about crotchless panties

Coyote

Coyote

• Staff
  • 941 posts

There are a lot of videos on this subject. After watching several I decided on the dot method with artic silver for my install.

One thing for sure is you don't want to apply to much and get it over fill into the CPU socket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users