Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Use livestreamer to view streams in your media player

twitch streaming vlc mpc

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

So, you're tired of having buffering from your browser when watching GSN member's amazing streams? This is the post for you.

Livestreamer is a command line utility that connects to the stream servers and pipes the stream directly into your player of choice. I recommend either VLC Player or MPC (Media Player Classic) .

The process to get this started and ready to use is quite simple. They have created an installer for Windows which does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. That installer can be downloaded by clicking here.

1.) Download the installer

2.) Run the installer and go through the prompts

3.) Navigate to the installer directory and open the config. The default path is below. It doesn't have an extension, so just tell it to open it with notepad. 

%APPDATA%\livestreamer\livestreamerrc

The file has samples for a lot of the common players and their locations. You Simple need to make sure that this points to the location of a media player that supports piped video. 

For example, mine looks like this:

player="C:\Program Files (x86)\K-Lite Codec Pack\Media Player Classic\mpc-hc.exe"

You can leave everything else the same. 

4.) Use the awesome-ness. 

5.) ?????

6.) Profit!!!

Since it is a command line tool, we need to start it from the command line (or using a batch-file). I just create a batch file for each streamer that I Watch and keep them in a folder. Here is all you need to put in the file for it to work:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Livestreamer\livestreamer.exe" twitch.tv/thebadbadrobot best

The syntax is simply 

[live streamer path] [stream URL] [quality identifier]

I save this in a file called badbadrobot.bat and just run it when he streams and I am ready to go. 

Now, this won't give you chat since you aren't connected to it, and for that I use Chatty, but that is a guide for another day. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions. 

MrMackeyMKayyy

MrMackeyMKayyy

• Forum Member
  • Drugs are Bad MKayyy...

• 3,416 posts

Awesome! Appreciate it, giving it a go later.

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

I knew there had to be a way to do this, I'm surprised you haven't decided to create "ParoniStream - your one stop shop for all things Stream!" :P

@Paronity

Edited by Gurthyy, August 08, 2014.

M2THE49

M2THE49

• Retired
  • 5,410 posts

sounds great thanks paronity! also a good start for my idea to implement an "instant replay" function for my stream. itll take some fiddling around but i know it can be done

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

So, you're tired of having buffering from your browser when watching GSN member's amazing streams? This is the post for you.

Livestreamer is a command line utility that connects to the stream servers and pipes the stream directly into your player of choice. I recommend either VLC Player or MPC (Media Player Classic) .

The process to get this started and ready to use is quite simple. They have created an installer for Windows which does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. That installer can be downloaded by clicking here.

1.) Download the installer

2.) Run the installer and go through the prompts

3.) Navigate to the installer directory and open the config. The default path is below. It doesn't have an extension, so just tell it to open it with notepad. 

%APPDATA%\livestreamer\livestreamerrc

Got stuck here.  Can't find the config file.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

Got stuck here.  Can't find the config file.

Type that text (as it is) into your run box. It should take you to the right place. If not

That location will map to something like:

C:\Users\Paronity\AppData\Roaming\livestreamer

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 785 posts

Now, this won't give you chat since you aren't connected to it, and for that I use Chatty, but that is a guide for another day. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions. 

you can use this twitch popout

http://www.twitch.tv...ot/chat?popout=

(just need to change the streamer link)

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • I Get Pissed At Stuff

• 2,753 posts

Thanks for the guide! Just got it set up and I am soooo mad I didn't do this sooner lol

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

LiveStreamer has not been working for me lately...

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

LiveStreamer has not been working for me lately...

I <think> twitch updated their API and it's not looking at the right place for the stream information. Make sure you are running the latest version because it has updates for the new twitch API: https://livestreamer....html#changelog

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I <think> twitch updated their API and it's not looking at the right place for the stream information. Make sure you are running the latest version because it has updates for the new twitch API: https://livestreamer....html#changelog

AH HA. That's is probably the issue. I JUST reinstalled my OS last week so I thought I had the most up to date version. But it looks like it the last API update was on the 12th. Thanks Paronity. 

@SaltySam @TacticalSandals check it. 

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • I Get Pissed At Stuff

• 2,753 posts

Reinstalling as we speak, now to find someone who is streaming this early to test lol

Edit: Works perfectly now. Just made a couple batch files for some streamers on the twitch home page and all is well. Thanks for the tip paronity, and thanks for the shout nackers!

Edited by SaltySam, December 17, 2014.

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

AH HA. That's is probably the issue. I JUST reinstalled my OS last week so I thought I had the most up to date version. But it looks like it the last API update was on the 12th. Thanks Paronity. 

@SaltySam @TacticalSandals check it. 

Where is the download option on that site? for the life of me i cant find it. also whats an API?

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • I Get Pissed At Stuff

• 2,753 posts

https://livestreamer...st/install.html

I used the Windows Binary installer on that page to install

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Where is the download option on that site? for the life of me i cant find it. also whats an API?

1. In computer programming, an application programming interface(API) is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. An API expresses a software component in terms of its operations, inputs, outputs, and underlying types.

And don't worry, it took my twenty minutes to find it the first time too. You just click on the link to github, and in the bottom right hand corner - download zip. 

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-17%20at%2012.30.

https://livestreamer...st/install.html

I used the Windows Binary installer on that page to install

Or this. 

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

And don't worry, it took my twenty minutes to find it the first time too. You just click on the link to github, and in the bottom right hand corner - download zip. 

Found it and its working perfect, thanks!

I wonder why they make the download link so tricky to find, you actually have to click the text.

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Found it and its working perfect, thanks!
I wonder why they make the download link so tricky to find, you actually have to click the text.

Beats me. I was just complaining to Robot about this. Especially on GitHub.

BadBadRobot

BadBadRobot

• Staff
  • I can do this ALL DAY

• 10,770 posts

https://github.com/b...amer-twitch-gui

SaltySam

SaltySam

• Staff
  • I Get Pissed At Stuff

• 2,753 posts
Saw this today and worth the 9 min watch to learn more things VLC Player can do:

https://youtu.be/QhmvHb3DkRM

HeYYiTzPaT

HeYYiTzPaT

• Forum Member
  • Check out my YouTube!!!!!!!

• 176 posts

I'm definitely gonna have to try this out later! Thanks!!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users