Discord   |   Play games and chat with our PC gaming community in Discord.
Launch Discord  
Photo

Screen Shot Sharing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

So especially around the forums, I see talk about easy screen shot sharing applications for PC. I know @Aryanix was just looking for one. I video came up in my RRS today and I thought I would share, along with a few other pieces of software as honorable mentions. 

Personally, I use CloudApp. They are by far the best. Although, you have to be ready to pay a premium price. It's $99 a year. But, they have a free version as well if you want to try it out first. 

Screen%20Shot%202014-08-04%20at%2010.22.

They have a more expensive plan, but it's meant for real power users and/or teams. The reason I love CloudApp is because of it's multi-platform support as well as awesome support/dev team that drives this app. There are plenty of third party apps for iOS and android as well so you're not stuck with the app this company put out. Personally, I love ClouDrop because it's quick and has a pretty interface. I use this software all day, every day and I don't know what I'd do without it. 

The app that I came across today is Puush. You can learn all about it here. While watching that video, I scrolled through the comments to see what other software people were using, and obviously GAYzo...whoops, i mean Gyazo - which I personally am not a fan of but I know a few people here use it. On the bright side, they did jsut add GIF/Video capture support which is cool, so I'm going to try that out today and see how well it works. My personal gripe with Gyazo is that as soon as you upload, it opens up a new window with the content. Personally, I'd rather it just copy the link to my clipboard and I can use it when I'm ready. But that's just me. 

In addition to these two, another free option is Lightshot. I have not tried it out yet, but from the comments on that Puush video, it seems to be what everyone is using if they aren't using these options. 

So there you have it. If you're looking for a screenshot app and gives you the ability to quickly share screenshots, pictures, videos, etc. etc. - these are some great options. 

Your other option is literally creating your own software like Paronity did...hahah.

Edit: Anther honorable mention from @Wags! Thanks buddy!

MHO Greenshot is one of, if not the best screen shot software out there. Allows annotations to be added to your screenshot, plus a plethora of other features. Best of all, it's FREE! http://getgreenshot.org/

Edited by Nackers, August 04, 2014.

Wags

Wags

• Forum Member
  • 740 posts
IMHO Greenshot is one of, if not the best screen shot software out there. Allows annotations to be added to your screenshot, plus a plethora of other features. Best of all, it's FREE! http://getgreenshot.org/

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

I was really happy with tinygrab http://tinygrab.com/

All I want is something simple that when I want to show something on my screen i can do it quickly and easily.  I don't necessarily want to keep these long term, nor do I want files, etc.

The problem is that I started getting an error every time I started my computer... it didn't affect it's performance but was really annoying and I didn't know how to fix it.

Cloudapp is nice but it is too much for what I use it for, and they spam my email now which I don't like.  Maybe I'll try greenshot.

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

Just tried Greenshot, but it doesn't have a way to upload them instantly, it's only a local capture program

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

http://www.picpick.org/en/ 

PickPick is one that I've been using. I had it setup to upload to FTP and give me the URL, so if you have your own webhosting, it's completely free. All you have to do is set it up that way. Now that I don't have any hosting, I upload it to my dropbox and share the DropBox link. Takes a few extra seconds, but I use this as the second alternative to CloudApp

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Just tried Greenshot, but it doesn't have a way to upload them instantly, it's only a local capture program

Ahhh okay. Yeah that's kind of half the point of having a screen cap software..auto upload and copy to clipboard. 

http://www.picpick.org/en/ 

PickPick is one that I've been using. I had it setup to upload to FTP and give me the URL, so if you have your own webhosting, it's completely free. All you have to do is set it up that way. Now that I don't have any hosting, I upload it to my dropbox and share the DropBox link. Takes a few extra seconds, but I use this as the second alternative to CloudApp

I forgot that dropbox auto uploads/clipboards screenshots now! That's free up to 2gb. But as soon as you pull those screenshots, they disappear. I know Ary doesn't need long term - but things i post to my website are hosted through fluffy, so I need those pictures to last for a while. 

OS X can do region capture that auto uploads to dropbox - but I don't know how to do a region capture with windows. Never tried actually. 

Wags

Wags

• Forum Member
  • 740 posts

I guess I didn't read the post well enough about sharing the screenshots lol. I just figured you were looking for a program with different features besides regualar screenshots, and then just upload them to dropbox or google drive or something lol.  :wallbash: I'll email the devs of greenshot and see if I can put in a feature request for something like that. What exactly would you guys want the program to do as far as auto upload etc? or sharing.

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

Ahhh okay. Yeah that's kind of half the point of having a screen cap software..auto upload and copy to clipboard. 

I forgot that dropbox auto uploads/clipboards screenshots now! That's free up to 2gb. But as soon as you pull those screenshots, they disappear. I know Ary doesn't need long term - but things i post to my website are hosted through fluffy, so I need those pictures to last for a while. 

OS X can do region capture that auto uploads to dropbox - but I don't know how to do a region capture with windows. Never tried actually. 

I'm not using dropbox to do that. I'm using my dropbox storage and the PicPick application to upload to a folder I selected and give me the link. lol. I'm only doing that until I have hosting again, then I'll be setting it up on my FTP once again. PicPick does it all! :D

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I'm not using dropbox to do that. I'm using my dropbox storage and the PicPick application to upload to a folder I selected and give me the link. lol. I'm only doing that until I have hosting again, then I'll be setting it up on my FTP once again. PicPick does it all! :D

I know you weren't, but after you mentioned dropbox is made me realize just using dropbox is another free avenue one could take if they wanted. 

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

I guess I didn't read the post well enough about sharing the screenshots lol. I just figured you were looking for a program with different features besides regualar screenshots, and then just upload them to dropbox or google drive or something lol.  :wallbash: I'll email the devs of greenshot and see if I can put in a feature request for something like that. What exactly would you guys want the program to do as far as auto upload etc? or sharing.

Oh yeah, was kind of just talking about a good software that does everything. 

CloudApp does everything for me, I won't use anything else. 

Gurthyy

Gurthyy
  • Forum Member
  • 1,014 posts

I know you weren't, but after you mentioned dropbox is made me realize just using dropbox is another free avenue one could take if they wanted. 

Ahhhh okay. Yeah, I only said that cause I wanted to make sure people didn't get confused. 

LOVE YOU NACKATTACK!

Wags

Wags

• Forum Member
  • 740 posts

I'm confused as to where people want to upload screenshots to. Like Twitter or Facebook or something? Could you please elaborate more? Thanks!

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

I'm confused as to where people want to upload screenshots to. Like Twitter or Facebook or something? Could you please elaborate more? Thanks!

The program I was using (tinygrab) and the cloudapp both have servers that the screen auto upload to.  So when you capture you get a link that goes on your clipboard and you can share it with anyone.

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member
  • var Paronity = new Guru();

• 16,885 posts

It allows me to take instant screenshots with region capture and automatically get the link in my clipboard: http://cl.ly/Wu0S

I can also use a custom domain: http://img.paronity.com/Wu0S

Also, it's instant. As Nackers mentioned, I use CloudApp, but the windows application I use to interface with it is my own:

8_5_2014_1_50%20PM.jpg

I just press Ctrl+Shift+F12 and select the region and it does the rest. 

Wags

Wags

• Forum Member
  • 740 posts

It allows me to take instant screenshots with region capture and automatically get the link in my clipboard: http://cl.ly/Wu0S
I can also use a custom domain: http://img.paronity.com/Wu0S

Also, it's instant. As Nackers mentioned, I use CloudApp, but the windows application I use to interface with it is my own:
8_5_2014_1_50%20PM.jpg

I just press Ctrl+Shift+F12 and select the region and it does the rest.

Wow that is sweet!...now do you have to have your own "host" or does that CloudApp provide that for you as well, referring to the custom domain

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

They will give you cl.ly links automatically. If you want a custom domain, you will need to own the domain and have it hosted somewhere, but it is only for DNS. It costs damn near nothing to host. If anyone needs a domain hosted just for DNS redirects, Ill do that for free. 

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

They will give you cl.ly links automatically. If you want a custom domain, you will need to own the domain and have it hosted somewhere, but it is only for DNS. It costs damn near nothing to host. If anyone needs a domain hosted just for DNS redirects, Ill do that for free. 

If you do this are you still limited to 10 a day on their free account?

Paronity

Paronity

• Forum Member

• 16,885 posts

If you do this are you still limited to 10 a day on their free account?

Custom DNS can only be done on the upgraded plans. There are tools that I don't mind paying for and this is one of them. This makes my daily life so much more simpler. I mean, it's not for everyone, but when you do as much online as I do, it's damn near essential. 

Aryanix

Aryanix

• 1,063 posts

Custom DNS can only be done on the upgraded plans. There are tools that I don't mind paying for and this is one of them. This makes my daily life so much more simpler. I mean, it's not for everyone, but when you do as much online as I do, it's damn near essential. 

ya I don't use it very often... I may not exceed the 10/day most of the time - heck i probably don't even hit 10/wk

Naaackers

Naaackers

• OTS FPR TJE LODS

• 6,903 posts

Wow that is sweet!...now do you have to have your own "host" or does that CloudApp provide that for you as well, referring to the custom domain

I basically use this the most when I'm collaborating with someone on something, and we're chatting online or back in forth through email. Whenever I write tutorials or thread posts in forums, I host all my images through CloudApp.

It allows me to just screen cap whatever i'm looking at it really fast and get it immediately link to share it. CloudApp hosts, which is why the free plan is only 10 screen shots a day, but if you pay you get unlimited and can upload up to 250mb files at once. 

Another instance of where I would use CloudApp a lot is when I'm working on something on photoshop, and I can quickly share progress with someone that I working on something for instead of saving it, opening up email, attaching, etc.etc. It just makes that process more seamless. 

Also, if i'm looking at something on my computer, I can really fast just highlight the address bar, Ctrl+Sfht+1 to take whatever is currently in my clipboard and upload it to CloudApp - and as soon as that's done, I can view it on my phone with 5-10 seconds. This is awesome because when someone asks to text them a link to something, the process is that simple to get it to your phone instead of emailing it to yourself. 

Edited by Nackers, August 06, 2014.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users