• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide
  • Inactive
  • 252 posts
Operating System: Windows 7
App/Game Name: Garry's Mod
Error Code/Message: *No servers shown in Multiplayer server browser (standard and legacy)*

Error when attempting connection to other Steam player - "Connection failed after 4 attempts"

Purchased Garry's Mod Saturday to join in on the GMod Event, but had some issues after downloading and installing the game.

My System:

Windows 7 64 bit - all drivers current

6gb RAM

GTX260x2 (SLI)

Q6600 quad core OC @ 3ghz

Verizon Fiber network 150/65

After downloading and installing, I rebooted. Opening the game was normal, but clicking Multiplayer shows a blank server window, even when using the legacy server browser. I also get a connection timeout when attempting to connect to other players via Steam during the event, same error message on all of the attempted people ("fail after 4 attempts").

Port forwarded Steam and GMod, turned off all of my antivirus/firewall software, rebooted with all programs off in msconfig (clean startup). Same issue with GMod.

Added the MasterServers files recommended by Steam support forums, rebooted, still no go. Reinstalled Steam and GMod, still no go.

I am posting this because I have tried everything I can think of and everything I can find online.

One question - I purchased the Steam Garry's Mod for $9.99. Do I still need a Source based game like Counterstrike or TF2? I did not see any notes about that, but several forum posts mentioned it. That is the only thing I haven't tried that I am aware of.

Thanks for any help in advance, couldn't find any posts on the GSN forums about this.

-Shadow

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

hmm no, but different games associated with valve add assets, have you tried verifying the game cache in steam?

ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide
  • Inactive
  • 252 posts

Yes, that was another step I took. : (  Forgot to add that one

TacticalSandels

TacticalSandels
  • Forum Member
  • 3,210 posts

Yes, that was another step I took. : (  Forgot to add that one

One person said disabling windows firewall might work (dunno how comfy you are doing that)

Another option is try using the legacy browser built rite into steam to search for a server.

ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide
  • Inactive
  • 252 posts

I've tried the steam browser, disabled windows firewall (I use a different program for firewall, disabled that too) , also turned off router security just to test connectivity.

joey

joey
  • Forum Member
  • 785 posts

One question - I purchased the Steam Garry's Mod for $9.99. Do I still need a Source based game like Counterstrike or TF2? I did not see any notes about that, but several forum posts mentioned it. That is the only thing I haven't tried that I am aware of.

Thanks for any help in advance, couldn't find any posts on the GSN forums about this.

-Shadow

yes counter strike source is needed because most of the maps used in garry mods are css maps and so on with tf2 therefore need to have both installed  there is an alternative which someone posted on this topic  http://gsngaming.com...-source-wanted/  

ShadowOxide

ShadowOxide
  • Inactive
  • 252 posts

Hmm missed that when I was searching. Thanks for the info! I figured that was the case. : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users